• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

I hate Goons but how can we poke fun at them for celebrating yesterday? You know damn well we would have been doing the same. Hate to give credit to them but they went on an unbelievable run of form to finish 4th justifies a celebration imo

^ i guess it shows how far they have fallen - used to celebrate winning titles, now they celebrate finishing 4th.

whereas we have come from the relative obscurity of the 90's and early 00's to the edge of the CL places so for us qualifying for them would be an achievement worth celebrating

I hate Goons but how can we poke fun at them for celebrating yesterday? You know damn well we would have been doing the same. Hate to give credit to them but they went on an unbelievable run of form to finish 4th justifies a celebration imo

Mate, it's because both our clubs status have changed, and while they have held us off for at least one more season (and congrats, they went on a stupid run of form), fact remains

- Spurs is arguably at it's best point in decades (yes we were brick for a long time), highest points total in PL era, best away results in PL era, Bale with best return since Jurgen and picks up all the awards, Promising young manager.
- The Scum are at arguably their lowest in decades, two years in a row their great achievement is being 1 point ahead of Spurs, they were not and will not be challenging for the title and will start next season looking over their shoulder not ahead.

Again, they are ahead, but if you look at the ambition of the clubs, I think you see the difference. Spurs wants CL, wants trophies, wants to challenge. The Scum want to secure the income CL provides, nothing more.

Like someone said yesterday, Arsenal are celebrating finishing above us. That's how far we've come and low they've fallen. They're celebrating entering a competition they have no chance of winning. We can live without CL football, we've been doing so for donkeys years, but they know how important CL is to them.

Yup, compared to the chasm between us in the league in the early part of Wenger' reign at least we've narrowed the gap right down in recent seasons and hopefully AVB can end his hoodoo over Spurs next season...

and we'll see no more red marks added to this graph any time soon... [-o<

arsenal-spurs-league-rank-gap.png

http://abehnisch.com/2011/08/

I think we will finish above them next season, but they will win the CL. Final is in Lisbon, at a stadium which is identical to their own. GHod is a gooner and by now you should all know it

Mate, it's because both our clubs status have changed, and while they have held us off for at least one more season (and congrats, they went on a stupid run of form), fact remains

- Spurs is arguably at it's best point in decades (yes we were brick for a long time), highest points total in PL era, best away results in PL era, Bale with best return since Jurgen and picks up all the awards, Promising young manager.
- The Scum are at arguably their lowest in decades, two years in a row their great achievement is being 1 point ahead of Spurs, they were not and will not be challenging for the title and will start next season looking over their shoulder not ahead.

Again, they are ahead, but if you look at the ambition of the clubs, I think you see the difference. Spurs wants CL, wants trophies, wants to challenge. The Scum want to secure the income CL provides, nothing more.

I agree with everything you have said and if you were buying stock of the two clubs I know where my money would be. I honestly believe we have a better squad then them now though and even though they are on a bigger budget than us I think they did well to finish above us. I really am glad we ended the season on a good run of form. After the Wigan result I think most of us saw the writing on the wall but we still did our part to put the pressure on them. Our teams of the past would have surely bottled it but credit to AVB we have a certain belief now that we never did.

I personally couldn't care less if we finish above Arsenal unless it is a two way fight for the league. I want us to purely go into every game looking to win and see where it takes us. Finishing above them is fantastic but I don't care for taunts about finishing 4th and 5th. Quite frankly, If the situation yesterday had occured with us managing to win of the 3 cups that we had entered, who would really have had the bragging rights?

They would have qualified for a competition that they will go out of in the last 16/Quarter finals as is standard every year and we would have added another trophy to our roll of honour and another one in the time since they last managed to win a trophy.

Sorry to ask again, but can anybody remeber last week there was a tread somewhere on here were somebody posted a picture wit Arsene Wenger lifting aloft a 'trophy' which was one of the old pics of him lifting a cup but the cup had been photoshopped with a picture of a league table witn te top 7/8 teams wit Arsenal ighlighted in 4th.

It was a classic and I could do with it now to silence some ****y Goons:twisted:

Ta!

Sorry to ask again, but can anybody remeber last week there was a tread somewhere on here were somebody posted a picture wit Arsene Wenger lifting aloft a 'trophy' which was one of the old pics of him lifting a cup but the cup had been photoshopped with a picture of a league table witn te top 7/8 teams wit Arsenal ighlighted in 4th.

It was a classic and I could do with it now to silence some ****y Goons:twisted:

Ta!

Its on about page 3 of the Sunderland OMT - i used it on facebook too!

I think we will finish above them next season, but they will win the CL. Final is in Lisbon, at a stadium which is identical to their own. GHod is a gooner and by now you should all know it

brick, that's true. Forgot about the footballing gods. :(

Back