• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

I think that my preference would be for Wenger to move upstairs and for them to promote Bould. That should keep the in fighting going for a little bit longer.

I really don't think that they realise that Wenger has had them finishing higher than their squad merits.
I don't agree. I believe Wenger has them finishing where they should be except last season where they, not Leicester nor us should have won it given the troubles of their usual title rivals.

Their problem is that when things are going good, having someone that ingrained in the club is a good thing (like fergie too)

When they depart as this game go bad (I know fergie didn't leave on a bad time) they have to replace multiple roles

I said it to a sensible gooner I know a couple of years ago that their fudged now with him as he controls the club and is the club

I really don't think that they realise that Wenger has had them finishing higher than their squad merits.

Wenger is also the reason their squad don't merit any more. The same gaping holes remain, season after season, and it's not for a lack of spending.

A gooner supporting colleague at work had an interesting take on Wenger and the reason he hasn't been able to replicate Fergie's success in building multiple title winning teams. Unlike Fergie, Wenger likes to micro manage and does not appoint new coaches/ assistants. Wenger had Pat Rice for years and now Steve Bould whereas if you look at Fergie he appointed Knox, Kidd, McLaren, Ryan, Quieroz, and Phelan. Changing the coaches enables you to freshen things up while you still maintain overall control bringing in new ideas and so the players are challenged slightly differently and don't become too comfortable as they have at Arsenal. It is a compelling for how Wenger has retained remarkable consistency without really achieving the levels of success of Fergie.

Wenger is also the reason their squad don't merit any more. The same gaping holes remain, season after season, and it's not for a lack of spending.

I agree with that but i don't think getting rid of him will be a magic bullet

Agreed, while I think Wenger should be treated with more respect by the fans I don't quite subscribe to the Wenger love fest. I think he lost his "magic" touch in the transfer market some time ago probably around the time French football was no longer at the top, his players seem to crock rather too regularly him under him ( how many games has Wheelchair managed at Bournemouth?) and the players lack the hunger and steel of his first teams. Some like Walnut have just stagnated. I think Arsenal will drop a level initially simply because he has been there for so long but he has to go some time, I am sure there are very good managers out there and better to go while your North London Rivals will be facing the uncertainty of a stadium move.

Agreed, while I think Wenger should be treated with more respect by the fans I don't quite subscribe to the Wenger love fest. I think he lost his "magic" touch in the transfer market some time ago probably around the time French football was no longer at the top, his players seem to crock rather too regularly him under him ( how many games has Wheelchair managed at Bournemouth?) and the players lack the hunger and steel of his first teams. Some like Walnut have just stagnated. I think Arsenal will drop a level initially simply because he has been there for so long but he has to go some time, I am sure there are very good managers out there and better to go while your North London Rivals will be facing the uncertainty of a stadium move.

I'd agree with that. He had a big advantage when he joined because no one else in the league was using the dietary and training techniques that he did and he had a better awareness of European footballers.

I think that the rest of the league has caught up and overtaken him and he is too hesitant in the transfer market.

That said, i think that he will be difficult to replace and changing manager will be a big risk for them.

That said, i think that he will be difficult to replace and changing manager will be a big risk for them.

It should be a tough time for the Goons.

But you know what will happen, they will appoint some random nobody and he will turn out to be the best manager on the planet.

They are so jammy.

I still remember when they lost Graham and were struggling and appointed this weird French professor from Japan. Motherflippers.

Director of football eh? Now there's a new idea...

What's that french jackass who worked for us doing these days? The one who bought Chiriches as a central defender!

Back