• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The glorious march to CL qualification

It’s kinda sad that people want to blame the fans for anything.

Which he is
Am I?
THat is not what I said nor what I think.
Maybe you misunderstood my post?

Or you're sensitive that my (rather aggressive) post hit close to home. If that,s the case, well...so be it.

People will stop saying s p u r s y when we stop fecking up good positions so spectacularly and start winning things. You literally couldn’t write some the scenarios we manage to create for ourselves, losing 5-1 to a relegated Saudi Sportswashing Machine with 10 men for example.

The results have literally gone perfectly for us recently and yet we STILL have to look over our shoulder and hope the other teams continue to fudge it up.

My worry is arsenal are surely due an away win at some point? Yes they’re poo away from home but that can’t continue forever. United surely won’t blow it against Huddersfield and Cardiff.

Well it seemingly is continuing forever for us, so why not for them. #hopeful.

With Cardiff losing it looks like they will be relegated this evening which means Brighton have nothing to play for against the Goons tomorrow.
So they can relax knowing that for many they will still be premier league footballers who will get a nice wage. They won’t need to throw their bodies at every shot to stay on the league. Great. But whatever happens IF we beat Everton we’re fine.

A slightly more positive way of looking at this:

We qualify for the CL if Arse win both at home to Brighton AND away at Burnley AND if we don't win at home to Everton (without Kane and Son)

[assumption being that we get at least a point against Everton, which takes Utd out of it]

Looks a little better that way, even if there is the horrible taste in the mouth about the way this season is petering out

People will stop saying s p u r s y when we stop fecking up good positions so spectacularly and start winning things. You literally couldn’t write some the scenarios we manage to create for ourselves, losing 5-1 to a relegated Saudi Sportswashing Machine with 10 men for example.

The results have literally gone perfectly for us recently and yet we STILL have to look over our shoulder and hope the other teams continue to fudge it up.

My worry is arsenal are surely due an away win at some point? Yes they’re poo away from home but that can’t continue forever. United surely won’t blow it against Huddersfield and Cardiff.
They got 3 points at Watford

With Cardiff losing it looks like they will be relegated this evening which means Brighton have nothing to play for against the Goons tomorrow.
Which can lead them to expressing themselves when there is no longer any pressure, and win 5-0, or them heading for the beach and lose 5-0. Who knows. Let's just pray it's the former!

Why have we turned in to a sack of brick since January?! Liverpool’s players have played as many games but seem to actually put a shift in and don’t play brick. So frustrated that the team seems to have just given up and not bothered any more. Feel like there must be something going on behind the scenes.

Why have we turned in to a sack of brick since January?! Liverpool’s players have played as many games but seem to actually put a shift in and don’t play brick. So frustrated that the team seems to have just given up and not bothered any more. Feel like there must be something going on behind the scenes.

Liverpool refreshed their squad. We didn't.

Also, I suspect it may be a case of Liverpool being ruthless, while we just aren't. Liverpool saw the otherwise reasonably reliable Karius fumble in a CL final - entirely not his fault, he was concussed by Sergio Ramos beforehand.

But they shipped him out immediately and bought Alisson for 65m. No room for sentiment.

Liverpool had bumbling-but-passionate center backs in Matip and Lovren. They swiftly dumped them onto the substitutes bench (if that) by bringing in Van Dijk for 75m. No room for sentiment.

Needed a defensive midfielder, since their beloved captain Hendo couldn't do the job by himself anymore. Went out, bought Fabinho (45M). Needed a central midfielder, despite Oxlade-Chamberlain slowly coming back from an injury (and potentially being available). Didn't wait, went out and bought Naby Keita (45-50M).

Liverpool had sub-par wing-backs, including the likes of Clyne who had previously shone, but was recovering from an injury. Dumped them in favor of Andy Robertson (dunno how much, but cheap) and TAA.

All this was done *in addition* to having signed Salah and gotten to the CL final the previous summer. They didn't sit on their hands, didn't let sentiment overrule ambition, and didn't keep players around or worry about finding buyers for them. They bought first, shipped the others out later.

They were ruthless. And I suspect that translates to the squad - that mentality that says that you are replaceable, whomever you may be. Perform, train at your maximum, concentrate for the full 90 minutes, and you're safe. Slip, and you *will* be moved on.

We didn't do that. We haven't done that. Injuries have forced our hand to an extent, but these players have no effective competition, and likely no fear for their squad places. And maybe (just guessing here) a little bit of competitive spirit was lost, and we gave up post Jan as the tiredness set in.

Back