• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The General Transfer Rumours and Speculation Thread

My original point was that it will likely take him 12 months to get up-to-speed, not that he won't get there eventually. So a bit like Son and Njie have been doing this season.
Batshuyai shouldn't need too long at all to get up to speed. He played successfully under Pochettino's mentor Biesla, so is already well versed in the number 9 has to operate in our system. The player also has the right physicality for the Premier League.

How have we strengthened to get to where we are now? By making big money signings? Or by making smart signings at a reasonable cost and developing players and fitting them into our system?

Why change our strategy at this point? Why now is it a mistake to look for the striker version of a Alli/Dier/Wimmer type signing?

Look at some of the big money striker signings made by us and others. There's absolutely not a guarantee of success just because we spend big money. You say Son has not been able to prove that he's good enough to lead the line, that's true. And no player we can realistically sign has proved that he's a good fit with Spurs and good enough to lead the line close to Kane's level.

I most definitely wouldn't mind us signing Batshuayi or some other higher profile £20m+ striker. But I don't think it's a necessity.
If we're looking at that sort of option then I'd like to see us go for Utrecht's France under 21 striker Sebastian Haller. He wouldn't be as cheap as Alli, Dier or Wimmer simply because centre forwards always carry a premium. He could probably be snaffled for somewhere around £10 to £15 million though and could prove a very good signing for that amount.

A £30m+ player to play early round FA, LC and CL games is maybe a tad excessive. Even Barcelona only have Sandro Ramirez and El Haddadi on their bench
So a team that doesn't really even play with a proper focal point type centre forward has one on the bench, whereas we don't even though we do play a style of football that relies on one?

In their system they have world class players for each of the 3 attacking positions. Either one of those goes out and they suffer a big drop in quality.

For our system we have great players for each of our "4 attacking positions" in Kane, Eriksen, Alli and Lamela. Either one of those goes out we suffer a drop in quality.

People are talking about having players on the bench to make an impact, the Barcelona comparison isn't perfect but it's not poor either. Real are in a similar position, as are Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea, Dortmund, Arsenal and many others. Perhaps you can argue that United and Liverpool are not, but that's because they've been such a mess they have no idea who their best players actually are.
The difference is that all of those clubs have another option on their bench to replace any of their first team players.... the replacement player may be of lower quality than the first choice, but he can at least perform the same role. If Kane isn't available for us then we do not have a single player on our bench who can come on and perform the same role.

No team ever has 22 players of equal, excellent standard. The key is therefore to ensure that another player can come into the team to replace one of the first choice players without the team having to alter the way that they play to accommodate that player. That is the problem that we have at the moment if Kane is out (and arguably also if Dier or Dembele are out).

This thing is they may not always have top strikers on th ebench but often clubs buy players they think will be top strikers for them

My point is Emirates Marketing Project not having quality backup (despite spending over £28m on Bony) for the best striker in the league is a major factor why they were not major challengers this season

Anthony Martial is definitely not the finished article but the Mancs thought so much of him that they were willing to splash big money (rising up to over £50m) on him even though Rooney had been there main striker

Sure it did not work out but the Scousers splashed the cash on Benteke (£30m) with Ings and Origi on their books even though they had Sturridge

Chelsea have just one half decent striker and we can see how injuries and suspension costs them this season
Even Chelsea tried to ensure that they didn't only have the one striker by bringing in Falcao.

But that's not exotic, and people need to be entertained between June and August

Second tier chequebook signing has been failing us for 25 years, yet people still want that over the recently very successful Dier/Alli/Wimmer route.
Hmmmm…..

I don't think you could call any of Lloris, Vertonghen, Aldereiweld, Eriksen, Lamela, Dembele or Son an Alli/Dier/Wimmer type signing.

I would argue that our team right now is a perfect blend of reasonably expensive signings, homegrown players and talented young players with clear potential signed well before they peak.

Hmmmm…..

I don't think you could call any of Lloris, Vertonghen, Aldereiweld, Eriksen, Lamela, Dembele or Son an Alli/Dier/Wimmer type signing.

I would argue that our team right now is a perfect blend of reasonably expensive signings, homegrown players and talented young players with clear potential signed well before they peak.

They were all signed as starters; whereas the others were signed (initially) as back-ups, like we are looking for now.

Where did this "12 months to get up to speed" thing come from? Toby and Alli have been 2 of our best players right off the bat. Payet came into the league and has been one of the best players in the division right away. Lloris was excellent from the start, Wimmer has been great for us and this is his first season here. For every player that takes time to settle there is one that did the business straight away.

Where did this "12 months to get up to speed" thing come from? Toby and Alli have been 2 of our best players right off the bat. Payet came into the league and has been one of the best players in the division right away. Lloris was excellent from the start, Wimmer has been great for us and this is his first season here. For every player that takes time to settle there is one that did the business straight away.

Depends where they come from. Championship and Budesliga have similar pace and physicality as the EPL, so that transition is easier. Coming from the slower French league usually takes a while, whilst players from the even slower Spanish and Italian leagues seem to struggle to cope at all.

I think a year is a good average. Lamela and Bale both took about three years.

I think we'll see enormous strides from Son and Njie next season.

@Gutter Boy I hope you're right re. Son and N'Jie. My point is, there's no reason why we can't sign someone from France who will be like Payet or Lloris, or from Spain who will be like Costa etc. We shouldn't write a player off for their first 12 months, because we have had plenty as a club who have been excellent straight away.

@Gutter Boy I hope you're right re. Son and N'Jie. My point is, there's no reason why we can't sign someone from France who will be like Payet or Lloris, or from Spain who will be like Costa etc. We shouldn't write a player off for their first 12 months, because we have had plenty as a club who have been excellent straight away.
Costa :confused:?

Depends where they come from. Championship and Budesliga have similar pace and physicality as the EPL, so that transition is easier. Coming from the slower French league usually takes a while, whilst players from the even slower Spanish and Italian leagues seem to struggle to cope at all.

Bale was firing from day one - his problem was injuries and no one knew his best position

I'm convinced that any player would be up to speed with Poch given enough time pre season

The problem this year is the euros and Olympics in the case of Son

You contradict your assertions by mentioning Son who came from the Bundesliga.
Also, Martial has adjusted well from the French league hasn't he?
I think each individual player has their own ability to adapt (or not); that's before we even take into account the type of strategy the coach has and how that player will fit into it.
As an aside Alderweireld came from Spain and before that Holland...i don't see anyone (whether us or Saints fans) talking about how he struggled to adapt..

You contradict your assertions by mentioning Son who came from the Bundesliga.
Also, Martial has adjusted well from the French league hasn't he?
I think each individual player has their own ability to adapt (or not); that's before we even take into account the type of strategy the coach has and how that player will fit into it.
As an aside Alderweireld came from Spain and before that Holland...i don't see anyone (whether us or Saints fans) talking about how he struggled to adapt..

Son's foot condition was supposed to impair him for up to 9-12 months

I’m sure I can remember Torres absolutely smashing it up as soon as he moved to Liverpool from Spain. Costa was another from Spain who had a brilliant first season in England, scoring goals right from the off. Aguero the same. Michu at Swansea was another. Adebayor moved to Arsenal from the French league and did the business immediately. Giroud also seemed to take to the PL easily. I don’t remember Drogba having a problem either when moving from France to England. I think both Demba Ba and Cisse also came from France and scored goals straight away. Even the likes of Kanoute and Sakho did well from the outset.

I think it’s better to base opinion on a player’s attributes as opposed to the league they come from. The key skills I would be looking for are a very good first touch (required to due the lack of time afforded) excellent upper body strength, a desire to work hard and be prepared for, or better still to relish a battle and (above all) the player to be very brave - the player has to demand the ball even when tightly marked, or they know they are likely to get clattered.

People will laugh but with Champions League football coming, two cups and league I would go out and get Higuaín........A back up right back........and someone in Centre Midfield that meant you didnt have to play Carroll or Mason if you lose Dier or Dembele. That's all we would need in my opinion..........

And people will say Higuaín would be unrealistic but we are now a bigger prospect than Napoli and also fail to plan, plan to fail and it would take the question out of "what happens if we lost Kane"

Back