• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The final straw?

Isn't there meant to be this 1882 fan thing going on at the Maribor game this week? Hope they sing their heart out, otherwise I dread to think what the atmosphere will be like on Thursday.
Yep, we're gonna be tucked up in J block of the east upper. I'm mugging most Spurs home games off now as it really is pathetic now no-one gets involved in songs, complains about the team and attempts to bring me down to their level.

1882 and away games for me.

Yesterday was shocking, watching on telly. Really embarrassing to listen to the boos at half time and when Defoe was subbed - you could see him looking at the crowd, thinking WTF? I rarely get to attend games due to living in Oslo, but when I do, I always make sure to sing, chant and cheer the team on as much as I can - no matter how we play. I find it a duty for me as a supporter to get behind the team. That's a huge part of why I spend £300-400 on a two day trp to London. It would be far cheaper and convenient to stay at home and watch the game on TV, but when I sing my lungs out and enjoy the atmosphere at WHL is at its best, it is so so worth it.

If only more fans were like you.

as bad as our supporters are at the moment we are no worse than the majority of premier league sides - it's a league wide problem and one that id say we have been late in joining

and anyone thinking it was Defoe getting boo'd massively missed the point, it was the decision to take him off not his performance that the crowd were against. losing 1-0, sorely in need for a goal - we should have been bringing on Adebayor to play alongside Defoe not replacing him

Last edited:
The worst thing for me was that against Chelsea (a team that I so utterly despise and love to see us beat) we just let their fans stroll into Tottenham and outsing us. If we can't create a decent atmosphere at home against (IMO) our biggest rivals when a goal down, what's the fudging point?

as bad as our supporters at the moment are we are no worse than the majority of premier league sides - it's a league wide problem and one that id say we have been late in joining
For sure. It's been on the decline for a while now, and people are have been dropping out for a while.

I went to my first home game yesterday this season. What struck me was there was this negative tension or energy right from kick-off. Spurs actually started off playing quite well we had Wigan pinned back and we were probing for weaknesses and openings, but the fans were almost waiting for a mistake to start moaning and getting on the players backs, you could almost see the confidence drain away from our players after the first misplaced pass and the mistakescbecame contagious, nobody wanted the ball and Wigan got more and more composed and comfortabl as our fans gave our players more abuse. I now understand why we've been so much better away from home this season.

My ratings:

Players: 3/10
Andre: 3/10
Fans: 0/10 - the fans directly affected the dire performance yesterday- if I was a spurs player I wouldn't feel confident and comfortable playing in that atmosphere and if I was an opposition player I'd be loving it!

Footballers in an away team always talk about trying to turn the home fans on their team, but to have that happen from kick-off must be a dream!

100%.

so what do those that boo want? i guess it's a better performance and a win.

so do those that boo think that booing is inspirational or inhibiting? or do they care less about the effect it has on the players and more about their 'right', their 'entitlement' to vent their anger?

the 'I've paid my money i can do what i want' mindset? the irony being that by booing they just push the thing they want further away.

i read it a number of times yesterday that the players weren't putting in effort, that they didn't care. do fans honestly think that players don't want to win, don't want to achieve, don't want CL, don't want to get picked for the next game? imo it's just the default, easy, catch-all position to say that players don't try, and i don't think it bears close analysis.

the OP makes a number of great points, and i can't help but agree that we've become an entitled, spoilt lot with ever-shortening memories in a place where patience and perspective are quickly drifting from view.

Highlighted in bold - this is exactly it. Spot on.

I have been a Spurs fan for 40 years.

I have been going to games at the Lane for more than 30 years.

I have had two season tickets for nigh on 20 years.

How much do you weight!?

Bad joke. I do agree Jimmy. We're no different to other supporters, but traditionally we have had more tolerant fans. It all comes down to expectation. 'arry was a master at managing expectation.

If you go to a film which has been hyped up, your mates tell you its the dogs pods etc the chances are you'll find the film disappointing. Go into a cinema with low expectations and a half decent film will leave you suitably impressed.

Much the same now. Expectations over the past few years have been raised. Spurs fans have dabbled with the CL, and with the notion that we could overtake our scummy neighbors. And there in lies the rub. Just like arse*** the more success you have, the more bricky the support becomes. I don't think our fans are half as bad as the arse***. Spurs fans are still not glory hunters. Just expect to be entertained and put teams to the sword at home.

It would be good if songs were published in the match programme or if the club could take some steps to fuel a good home atmosphere.

Last edited:
as bad as our supporters are at the moment we are no worse than the majority of premier league sides - it's a league wide problem and one that id say we have been late in joining

and anyone thinking it was Defoe getting boo'd massively missed the point, it was the decision to take him off not his performance that the crowd were against. losing 1-0, sorely in need for a goal - we should have been bringing on Adebayor to play alongside Defoe not replacing him

No one thinks that the boos were for Defoe, do they?

I think everyone realises that they were aimed at AVB.

But, regardless, it was a massive overreaction and played squarely into the hands of a football press that is champing at the bit to bring about a crisis for AVB and for Spurs.

How much do you weight!?

Bad joke. I do agree Jimmy. We're no different to other supporters, but traditionally we have had more tolerant fans. It all comes down to expectation. 'arry was a master at managing expectation.

If you go to a film which has been hyped up, your mates tell you its the dogs pods etc the chances are you'll find the film disappointing. Go into a cinema with low expectations and a half decent film will leave you suitably impressed.

Much the same now. Expectations over the past few years have been raised. Spurs fans have dabbled with the CL, and with the notion that we could overtake our scummy neighbors. And there in lies the rub. Just like arse*** the more success you have, the more bricky the support becomes. I don't think our fans are half as bad as the arse***. Spurs fans are still not glory hunters. Just expect to be entertained and put teams to the sword at home.

It would be good if songs were published in the match programme or if the club could take some steps to fuel a good home atmosphere.

We will have to hope that the tentative, newly established relationship between the club and the 1882 group can grow and flourish. It's not enough, these days, to hope that something will happen by chance. The fans have to become organised (just as they are on the continent). And we need the club's support in that aim.

We will have to hope that the tentative, newly established relationship between the club and the 1882 group can grow and flourish. It's not enough, these days, to hope that something will happen by chance. The fans have to become organised (just as they are on the continent). And we need the club's support in that aim.

Im not sure how much the club can support this kind of movement whilst keeping their stance on remaining seated for the majority of the game.

The worst thing for me was that against Chelsea (a team that I so utterly despise and love to see us beat) we just let their fans stroll into Tottenham and outsing us. If we can't create a decent atmosphere at home against (IMO) our biggest rivals when a goal down, what's the fudging point?

Yep. If ever we had cause to want to beat that lot - nay, thrash them - and to create the mother of all atmospheres in support of our team, then it was this season. You'd never have known it, though.

Im not sure how much the club can support this kind of movement whilst keeping their stance on remaining seated for the majority of the game.

Well allocating a block or two to those who are determined to sing is a start. Next - a whole end.

Certainly, when the new stadium is built, priority for the single tier end should go to those who want to be a part of the 1882 group.

No one thinks that the boos were for Defoe, do they?

I think everyone realises that they were aimed at AVB.

But, regardless, it was a massive overreaction and played squarely into the hands of a football press that is champing at the bit to bring about a crisis for AVB and for Spurs.

I'm not defending people booing at half time. I always say you should boo the result unless there are extenuating circumstances. But the fans were absolutely within their rights to be unhappy with the decision to bring Defoe off. I agree with 95% of what you've written in this thread, but that doesn't mean to say that the home fans must back every decision that the manager makes, and it was a shocker! I remember people booing Graham when he took Ginola off on certain occasions. Were not the only fans who would do this. QPR were booed off at half time today btw so it's not just a Spurs problem.

Well allocating a block or two to those who are determined to sing is a start. Next - a whole end.

Certainly, when the new stadium is built, priority for the single tier end should go to those who want to be a part of the 1882 group.

it is a good sign, hopefully it is more than just a token gesture and something they fully get behind should it make a difference

Yep, we're gonna be tucked up in J block of the east upper. I'm mugging most Spurs home games off now as it really is pathetic now no-one gets involved in songs, complains about the team and attempts to bring me down to their level.

1882 and away games for me.

Sing your heart out mate. Will have to look out for more of these 1882 events, seems like a good idea.

I'm not defending people booing at half time. I always say you should boo the result unless there are extenuating circumstances. But the fans were absolutely within their rights to be unhappy with the decision to bring Defoe off. I agree with 95% of what you've written in this thread, but that doesn't mean to say that the home fans must back every decision that the manager makes, and it was a shocker! I remember people booing Graham when he took Ginola off on certain occasions. Were not the only fans who would do this. QPR were booed off at half time today btw so it's not just a Spurs problem.

I totally agree with you that, on the basis of the information that we have, it was a baffling decision. Why Defoe instead of the utterly ineffective Dempsey? Certainly, I wasn't happy, like most others in the stadium.

But that doesn't mean that the level of the vitriol was justified. It wasn't. It was a massive overreaction.

It seemed as though all those fans who had sat there like stuffed dummies for the all that had occurred before (other than to boo at half time or to grumble at any instance of less than perfect play) couldn't wait to give full vent to their fury.

The atmosphere was unsupportive beforehand. Poisonous afterwards. Horrible. Counter productive. Shaming.

Back