• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The dark knight returns - spoiler alert!!!!!

I was left feeling a bit disappointed, I wasn't amazed as I hoped to be and found it too long and drawn out. However, the expectation levels are always going to be higher because of the previous movies.

It reminded me a lot of Spiderman; doing good, painted as a criminal, hated, has to prove himself. Blah blah.

Selina Kyle isn't given her true character name, although it's alluded to and leaves the door open for a spin off I suppose.

The fight scenes were very Gangs Of New York for me.

I feel that while it was a good ending to the trilogy, the end was always predictable (as it had to be) and therefore the twists and turns are not as dramatic as the previous two films. Maybe that's the problem, you know it's the final part so there's no suspense. You know what the ending should be and it's 2 and a half hours to find out how they get there.

I thought it gave a nice sense of closure to round of the trilogy. Would have been bloody annoyed if it was classic Nolan "you decide" kind of territory!

Catwoman I thought was excellent, Hathaway played it pitch perfect IMO.

I didnt mind it taking its time, I never do with films so long as there is a point - and in this case it had a lot of stuff to work through before it could complete.

Im not sure I see what some blogs are complaining about, picking out silly details to blow out of proportion

Ive seen a lot of fuss around the auto pilot. At the end when Fox had them checking it they clearly said "It was fixed six months ago" - just about the time Wayne was getting back into Batman mode.

"How did he get back from the prison so quickly?"

WTF!? Between the time he left and the time he arrived winter had set in on Gotham and the river frozen - it wasnt 5 bloody minutes was it?!

why did they have Cillian Murphy in Batman Begins and TDKR as two different characters ?

decent movie 7/10

I didn't see the point of bringing Crane/Scarecrow back for the final film. I could see the value in bringing him back for the second film, because it shows how far Batman has come since the first film. It took him the entire film to eventually beat Scarecrow in Begins, but he defeats him in a matter of minutes in Dark Knight.

For me, The Avengers was a more enjoyable film.

There is no opinion about it, he is clearly the same character and was referred to as Crane in all 3 films. And it didn't take Batman all film to beat him at all, he defeated him the second time he met him, the first time he just got a cheap shot with his hallucinogenic gas

There is no opinion about it, he is clearly the same character and was referred to as Crane in all 3 films. And it didn't take Batman all film to beat him at all, he defeated him the second time he met him, the first time he just got a cheap shot with his hallucinogenic gas

The point is, he beat him with relative ease in the second film.

Cillian Murphy is a great actor, who Nolan clearly likes. I guess he just wanted him in there, and why not? Didn't negatively affect the film at all

Most of Batman's foes being insane, they spend a lot of time in the asylum. My knowledge is exclusively based on the old tv series though.

I didn't see the point of bringing Crane/Scarecrow back for the final film. I could see the value in bringing him back for the second film, because it shows how far Batman has come since the first film. It took him the entire film to eventually beat Scarecrow in Begins, but he defeats him in a matter of minutes in Dark Knight.

For me, The Avengers was a more enjoyable film.

The point was continuity. Nolan went to lengths over the 3 films to make sure they all hung together and inhabited the same universe. Touches like having Cilian Murphy in all the films add to that, particularly as it was in a "passing" manner in the 2nd and 3rd films.

Batman didnt spend the whole first film trying to beat the scarecrow, up until the final third he was basically unaware of him

was good continuity i thought, i have a feeling it would have been the joker though in the "judges" role that scarecrow was in the third

The film would have been completely different if Heath Ledger didn't die, he would have been one of the main villains in it again, I feel anyway.

I was left feeling a bit disappointed, I wasn't amazed as I hoped to be and found it too long and drawn out. However, the expectation levels are always going to be higher because of the previous movies.

It reminded me a lot of Spiderman; doing good, painted as a criminal, hated, has to prove himself. Blah blah.

Selina Kyle isn't given her true character name, although it's alluded to and leaves the door open for a spin off I suppose.

The fight scenes were very Gangs Of New York for me.

I feel that while it was a good ending to the trilogy, the end was always predictable (as it had to be) and therefore the twists and turns are not as dramatic as the previous two films. Maybe that's the problem, you know it's the final part so there's no suspense. You know what the ending should be and it's 2 and a half hours to find out how they get there.

My thoughts by and large - 7/10

To me the ending would have been 'stronger' without the cheesy happy-clappy everyone made it part. Letting him 'die' or at least leaving it ambigious could have been better, imv. The doomsday bomb 'everything is going to blow' was cringeworthy as a plot element for a movie of such apparent/claimed sophistication. And that's without the Angels and Demons ending

Last edited:

This is why I havent read the NME for years, pretentious crap where the writers head is so far up his own ass its not even funny.

Im all for critique, but most of the points in that article are just rubbish.

The Badddie - Was supposed to be the ultimate mercenary, and the physical superior to Batman. He was. He wasnt incomprehensible at all, I thought. Given that the editing had his dialogue about ten decibels higher than the rest its pretty hard to miss! The fights between them - particularly the first were MEANT to look easy - Bane being Batmans superior with ease, breaking him... kind of central to the character development!

The Cheese - Please, its an action film. A few one liners or a bit of corny dialogue are no issue at all.

The Plot/the Plan - IMO It was a character study, particularly on Bruce Wayne but also the like of Commissioner Gordon. "The film contained great, satisfying character arcs" Well yes, it did, something I dont believe would have been achieved without a pretty basic/linear plot.

He chooses Miranda because she had already invested heavily in the 'Green power source' and he felt because of that she would keep it safe as opposed to Daggett who was clearly a shady character.

I think the whole point of the 5 months until the bomb goes off was to truly break Batman, as was a large reason for the plan, to have him watch his city desperate before destroyed. They never gave him a chance of breaking out, given that only one had masnaged it before and he was in poor shape after his fight with Bane. Also, I think, in Ra's ideal it was to truly break the city down so that it can be reborn. 5 months of breaking down before being wiped out? Pretty thorough :lol:

The Plot holes - Gorodons speech being believed? Well firstly I saw little actual impact from it. Bane read the speech as justification for opening the prisons, but he opened them up not "the people".

Batman shoots Talias truck and kills her? (Well firstly he killed her Dad dont forget so its not like its the first life he has taken) He was shooting at the truck to force it towards the reactor. She saw as much and so tried to push through another way at which point when she was shot at she didnt see the gap in the road and dropped a story off of the fly over - thats what killed her - its not like he just shot her up is it?

The Police force being sent down at once was a bit weak I think, IMO it was because they didnt realise the severity of the situation until it was so late and so tried to react in force. Why the were kept alive I dont know, seemed bloody odd to me.

Bane knows where applied sciences was - who cares? He is a master criminal, surely he has means. If I were to guess I would say he tracked shipments from Wayne Enterprise subsidiaries as Fox explained why they were all under one roof.

Blake figured it out Batmans identity because he cared (though you have to wonder why he was the only one), Gordon didnt want to know.

Pacing - Didnt see any issue with the pacing myself. The blog points out a couple of things that could have used more attention, I wouldnt have minded this - but I dont feel the film was let down as a result.

The Tone - Is down to personal taste I guess, but I thought it was fine. I think the writer forgets that this is, ultimately, an action film based upon a comic book - it is not shindlers list is it?

Complaints about catwoman knowing where Bane was? It was already established it was in her skill set to find people, and even then when Batman was confronted with Bane the first time she confesses setting him up was the only way to save herself. If she had made contact and made a deal BANE would have told her precisely where to go.

The Bomb - As already pointed out, this is a comic book film where the character based focus relies upon a linear plot line. Corny, maybe, but certainly not inappropriate IMO. Why did it take 5 months? So the victory would be absolute, IMO. The people broken, the Batman broken, the US Government aiding in keeping people hostage - it would have been devestating.

Who is to say Bruce Wayne did ALL of those things upon his return? The state of mind he was in when he first went to face Bane (3 months prior) was virtually suicidal - as Alfred feared "he wanted to fail". Makes sense to me then that much of this was done some way before the final sequence. The Bat signal on the bridge at this point was all about theatre, such is the method of Batman. To provide a signal, a beacon, a warning (delete as appropriate)

Back