• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The dark knight returns - spoiler alert!!!!!

thfcsteff

Terry Dyson
I opened this thread up so as anyone who wants to discuss it can do without spoiling for others in the general "film" thread...

My take on it was that yes very entertaining, but ultimately a tired plot line which somehow felt like about a dozen other action films I'd seen before. In fact, it felt like a Bond flick from the late 60s story-wise...Bane is a decent villain but I could not escape Hannibal Lecter and Darth Vader...it was probably 25 mins too long...Joseph Gordon Levitt is a GREAT actor, ditto Sir Gary Oldman; they kept me right in there with two excellent performances.
I didn't mind the schmaltzy ending...very "comic book"...overall a strong film but not brilliant IMHIO. TDK absolutely spanks it, not the least because on reflection, Heath Ledger's Joker was even MORE brilliant than we knew then...I would give it 7 out of 10 and no a half point more.

Yeah I agree about the running time. Said that before it even came out, don't know why comic book films need to be 2 hours 45 minutes. Films should only be that long if they span mulitple years/decades.

I thought Bane was good villain. Nolan stated that he wanted Batman to have an adversary who was physcially challenging for him. But I coudn't understand some of his dialogue, I'd say I got about 85% of what he said. Didn't like his voice either but otherwise a good performance from Hardy.

Gordon Levitt was also good.

I think the 3 films are excellent, but nowhere near the 8th best film of all time as The Dark Knight is ranked! I believe that The Dark Knight crossed over and found a wider audience partly because of Ledger's death and people wanted to see one of his last films. Don't think he would have won the oscar if he was still alive IMO.

Good end to the trilogy though and good luck to whoever decides to reboot the Batman franchise.

Hard to disagree with most of that mate, except I would say Ledger's performance was marvelous. We'll never know how much his death impacted it's popularity, but for me, he owned a comic book character in a way Ive never seen before...

Just got back, wow I thought it was incredible, what an amazing trilogy, for me TDKR was the best of the 3, lots of things came out that pulled the trilogy together

Visually incredible, the score was brilliant too

Really cant see how a new reboot can top that franchise I really cant

9/10 one of the best films Ive seen

Also Ive never heard a cinema so so quiet during a film, it was silent, top film

Last edited:
Hard to disagree with most of that mate, except I would say Ledger's performance was marvelous. We'll never know how much his death impacted it's popularity, but for me, he owned a comic book character in a way Ive never seen before...

By all means a great performance from Ledger, but it definitely crossed over to a wider audience because of the circumstances of Ledger's passing.

I thought it was a good Hollywood-Blockbuster-type movie, but I didn't think it was amazing. Difficult to put my finger on why exactly ... I preferred Avengers too.

Oh my GHod you legend, i came on this thread to express my delight over this.

I'd give her my batawang and leave a massive harvey dent in her bat cave.

=D>

She just does it for me, and when she got on the 'Batbike' oh yes

Last edited:
Wonderful film, loved the ending, leading into JGL's Blake being a Nightwing type character, I figured Marion Cottilard would be Talia but love how they did it and linked it in, Bane and Hathaway were excellent, and it was Bale's best performance in the trilogy, especially as Bruce Wayne.

A bit sad I know. I knew it was Tom Hardy playing Bane, put at the time couldnt picture him and think what he had been in.

Did the old IMDB bit and saw who he was, cant believe how much he 'bulked up' for the part. I believe from a newspaper article he is struggling getting his weight back down again though. Dedication for his art indeed

I opened this thread up so as anyone who wants to discuss it can do without spoiling for others in the general "film" thread...

My take on it was that yes very entertaining, but ultimately a tired plot line which somehow felt like about a dozen other action films I'd seen before. In fact, it felt like a Bond flick from the late 60s story-wise...Bane is a decent villain but I could not escape Hannibal Lecter and Darth Vader...it was probably 25 mins too long...Joseph Gordon Levitt is a GREAT actor, ditto Sir Gary Oldman; they kept me right in there with two excellent performances.
I didn't mind the schmaltzy ending...very "comic book"...overall a strong film but not brilliant IMHIO. TDK absolutely spanks it, not the least because on reflection, Heath Ledger's Joker was even MORE brilliant than we knew then...I would give it 7 out of 10 and no a half point more.

Very good summary

All three films are great 3 of the top 10 superhero films of all time, but for me, the last two films are not all time great films as some have stated (mainly comic book nerds). I appreciate them for what they are, great films in their genre! Some critics who didn't adore the film have been getting death threats!

The action set pieces in all three films are near flawless, decent stories, good performances, but I feel some of the dialogue in the second film was a bit corny tbh.

it was ok. not great. not bad. pretty much covered my complaints on here with voice/dialogue etc. and just an overall feeling of "a bit meh".

i came out of avengers thinking "i really enjoyed that film". i also saw enough of thor and captain america to know i wouldn't last a whole film of their "acting" though.

Im yet to watch this, going Saturday.

I would say though that The Dark Night was brilliant IMO (corny dialogue accepted) mostly because it wasnt a "Batman" film it was more a "Gotham ensemble" film. Which I thought did wonders for the trilogy. The Joker was magnificent, but so was Harvy Dent, commisioner Gordon, the moral battles with Lucsious Fox and the ultimate sacrifice Batman made at the end...

The first was all about Batmans journey, the second really fleshed out the Batman "world" and gave it substance. Im hoping now that the third delivers on this excellent build up work.

As I said in the film thread imo:

Joker >>>>>>>> Bane

TDKR >>>>>> TDK as an overall film.

Being a Batman fan-boy it was brilliant to see a film very close to the source material, more so than any other film in the trilogy IMO. Bane much like the Joker is an immense representation of the character except for physical appearance, thought he was great, I could understand him fine but I can see how people had problems with his lines. I loved how the story came full circle from Batman Begins, didn't mind the lack of Batman, seeing as this is Bruce Wayne's story I thought it worked well and when we saw him suited up they were all great scenes.

Back