• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The build-up to World Cup 2014 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add Tiote, other Toure, Gervinho, Bony, Zokora and Kalou, that's a fairly solid line up. Some holes in defence over all but no worse than Japan.

They'll defeat Japan, I'm not sure about Colombia though. I think Colombia v Ivory Coast will be one of the match ups of the Group Stages. Two powerful sides that can each deliver strong results. Two sides with top, top, players but who sit outside the favourites for this tournament.

Roy Hodgson believes it is unfair that England's hopes always appear to be pinned on Wayne Rooney and says the striker only wants to be regarded as an important member of the squad.

Rooney's performances for the national team have been the subject of intense scrutiny since he burst on to the scene as an 18-year-old with four goals at Euro 2004, and he is seen as the key man for England at every major tournament.

But Hodgson thinks the interest in Rooney has become an 'obsession', and was agitated when questioned about the player and how he did not perform as well as his replacement Raheem Sterling, against Peru on Friday.

Hodgson was full of praise for Rooney after the 3-0 victory at Wembley, hailing the 28-year-old's drive, commitment and energy in a briefing for Sunday newspapers

"I think it's a bit sad that the country is so Wayne Rooney-obsessed," Hodgson said.

"I don't think Wayne sets himself up to be anything other than a very important member of the squad who tries his best at all times.

"We work as a team but certainly we don't have the same obsession with Wayne, or Daniel Sturridge.

"It's a little bit infuriating to see players who have come on in the last 10 or 15 minutes of a game when it's over and there are loads of spaces and the opposition are on their knees compared to players who are on the pitch when opponents are very fit and determined to keep you at bay, throwing themselves into challenges."

Former Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes questioned whether Hodgson would have the gumption to drop Rooney if the striker, who is yet to score at a World Cup, does not produce the goods.

Interestingly, Hodgson failed to name Rooney as one of his definite starters for England's Group D opener against Italy in Manaus on June 14.

"In the back positions we have a pretty clear idea of what we want," Hodgson said when asked if he knew how his team would line up versus the Azzurri.

"Once you get past Steven Gerrard in midfield, there are five positions to fill.

"I think there are plenty of options there and we could do well with a number of those options.

They'll defeat Japan, I'm not sure about Colombia though. I think Colombia v Ivory Coast will be one of the match ups of the Group Stages. Two powerful sides that can each deliver strong results. Two sides with top, top, players but who sit outside the favourites for this tournament.

I guess you haven't seen much of Japan. Highly talented squad who play some of the best football at international level. I'm willing to bet with ya, an asian team to get further than an African team ;)

I guess you haven't seen much of Japan. Highly talented squad who play some of the best football at international level. I'm willing to bet with ya, an asian team to get further than an African team ;)

I watch a with Australia involved in the Asian group now. Japan are good but prone to being all flash, no finish. I can see Drogba troubling them.

I watch a with Australia involved in the Asian group now. Japan are good but prone to being all flash, no finish. I can see Drogba troubling them.

They are an exciting team to watch though. Ivory Coast have been VERY disappointing the last two World Cups, but to be fair they have been drawn the group of death both times. I still think Japan will get a point against them at least and qualify.

Okazaki is coming off a very good season for Mainz so he'll be looking to push on at the World Cup and provide that finish as you say. With Honda, Kagawa and Kiyotake behind him, I think we could see some shocks on the cards. I just like the passion they play with the asian sides.

Agree. I've had this argument on here before, but I think the Asians and Africans make the World Cup special, at least the group stages. Do you really what to see the same-ish best 24/32 teams every 4 years, or throw in a South Korea, Cameroon, USA, etc to mix things up and bring their own culture to the tournament. It's what makes it the worlds only WORLD cup.

Agree. I've had this argument on here before, but I think the Asians and Africans make the World Cup special, at least the group stages. Do you really what to see the same-ish best 24/32 teams every 4 years, or throw in a South Korea, Cameroon, USA, etc to mix things up and bring their own culture to the tournament. It's what makes it the worlds only WORLD cup.

Agreed. Even the likes of Colombia and Belgium this year who really are dark horses.

BpD22X0CAAAiLR6.jpg:large

BpD22XYCIAAMJXo.jpg:large

Lee Nelson is led away by police after attempting to board the England team plane today as 'Jason Bent'..

Not sure, but some countries often take young players with the squad in the aid of developing them. Maybe that's what he's doing. Would explain Wheelchair as well.

He's just there to carry Gerrards phil Collins vinyl collection and whisper him to sleep each night, "it's not your name in the envelope Stevie, it's not your name..."

Didnt realise Defoe wasnt in the WC Squad - ****in hell. Think he should have gone. Always good for a goal or two especially when defences are tiring with 15-20 mins to go. Wellbeck is in there and that says it all, decent players but always seems to take the more difficult choice than doing something simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back