• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The build-up to World Cup 2014 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd agree about Welbeck - he is so out of his depth at this level - but Sturridge as world class? Really? Any team in the world? Better than anything else we have up front but he really ain't THAT great.

I can't believe that Johnson still gets picked, he has been a liability for years, a very poor man's Roberto Carlos whose defensive problems are masked/overlooked by the marauding upfield and the very occasional lamped goal. Scary that there isn't an alternative.

Still don't get it with Wheelchair. Given this was a weak Peru side England should have dominated and danced rings round them. 3-0 flattered England and they won't get out of the group with this shower.

Sturridge wasn't too good tonight (is he coming off an injury?) - but he still scored. You need players like that. Based on last season, Sturridge NEEDS to play central, I feel that is bad for Rooney as he ALWAYS flatters to deceive for England when he plays anywhere but up front. It's a shame Micah Richards has never pushed on or decided to go to a different club and get first team football as he should have been our long term right back.

**** it, Nathaniel Clyne should have been called up

Did we watch the same game re lalana? He was our best attacking player. No idea why Milner came on instead of Barkley though, what was hodgson gonna learn with that? I like our back 5 today except GJ, but that ain't gonna change with walker injured.

Can't believe there's no one better than Henderson in centre mid, I'm no Wheelchair lover but he's surely better in there?

Henderson was brilliant last season. I imagine he's been picked on merit and the fact that him and Gerrard know eachother and were part of the one of the most exciting football teams in Europe last year. I have nothing against Henderson playing as he works hard and has a good engine, have Gerrard sitting. It's just fitting who plays next to Henderson and that HAS to be Barkley for me, not Lallana.

What is happening with the African teams this time out, looking on some betting websites there odds are so low. I thought Ghana were really good in the last world cup, not really followed them since. So anyone know what is happening with the African teams?

What is happening with the African teams this time out, looking on some betting websites there odds are so low. I thought Ghana were really good in the last world cup, not really followed them since. So anyone know what is happening with the African teams?

Just aren't good enough, but they are always there to pull off a shock or two as we have seen in the past.

Cameroon are in a group of death up against Brazil, Croatia and Mexico.
Ivory Coast are up against Japan, Greece and Colombia.
Nigeria up against Iran, Argentina and Bosnia.
Ghana also in a group of death against Portugal, Germany and USA
Can't see much from Algeria too against Belgium, Russia and Korea.

In fact, I am willing to bet that an Asian team gets further than an African team.

[video=youtube;thGXtIQ-8jg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thGXtIQ-8jg[/video]

Nice to see Torres is back.

Henderson was brilliant last season. I imagine he's been picked on merit and the fact that him and Gerrard know eachother and were part of the one of the most exciting football teams in Europe last year. I have nothing against Henderson playing as he works hard and has a good engine, have Gerrard sitting. It's just fitting who plays next to Henderson and that HAS to be Barkley for me, not Lallana.

Oh for sure he was good for Liverpool but he's never had a better than 5 or 6 out of 10 performance for England.

I agree Barkley needs to play but not in place of llalana whose not really put a foot wrong yet and looks like he belongs in international football, a technical player not just a sprinter.

Oh for sure he was good for Liverpool but he's never had a better than 5 or 6 out of 10 performance for England.

I agree Barkley needs to play but not in place of llalana whose not really put a foot wrong yet and looks like he belongs in international football, a technical player not just a sprinter.

Henderson kept things ticking yesterday. I think with him we have a "carrick at spurs, barry at Emirates Marketing Project" situation. A proper "what does he do" player where he's very unsung. You have Henderson in the team what does he do? you take him out, you realise. He completed 104 of his 114 passes (91.2%) versus Peru last night, 40 more than any other player.

Henderson kept things ticking yesterday. I think with him we have a "carrick at spurs, barry at Emirates Marketing Project" situation. A proper "what does he do" player where he's very unsung. You have Henderson in the team what does he do? you take him out, you realise. He completed 104 of his 114 passes (91.2%) versus Peru last night, 40 more than any other player.

It looked to me that he made the more incisive passes behind their defence as well. For all Wheelchair's flicks he gave the ball away. Rooney has to play as the front man or not at all for me.

It looked to me that he made the more incisive passes behind their defence as well. For all Wheelchair's flicks he gave the ball away. Rooney has to play as the front man or not at all for me.

I think people just have this "perspective" of Henderson, he was poor in his first year at Liverpool and that seems to be the one that they think of. He has improved a ridiculous amount and I think he could have a real good career at club and international level. Perhaps they could have Rooney as a front man with Sturridge on the right then, he was good there for Chelsea, but he's out of this world for Liverpool centrally.

Just seemed to play it safe to me, at a slow tempo as well. I love the carrick type of player, had many an argument on here pointing out what he does to the majority that couldn't see it at the start, but I don't see that in Henderson, if we're insisting on types, he's much more jeans than carrick.

torres and mata in the spaind 23. negredo and navas out.

quite surprised that navas isnt in. in the past tournaments, spain always brought on navas when they wanted a sprinter up front to add another dimension.

Just seemed to play it safe to me, at a slow tempo as well. I love the carrick type of player, had many an argument on here pointing out what he does to the majority that couldn't see it at the start, but I don't see that in Henderson, if we're insisting on types, he's much more jeans than carrick.

Agreed. Its where stats dont tell the full story. Someone like Parker could have 95% sucessful passing rate, but were they effective ? I look at Henderson and just see safe, uninspiring mediocrity.

Agreed. Its where stats dont tell the full story. Someone like Parker could have 95% sucessful passing rate, but were they effective ? I look at Henderson and just see safe, uninspiring mediocrity.

Parker was very effective for us in 2011.

Id love him to play a midfield 4 of Lallana Gerrard Barkley Sterling, Woy wont though...

Hodgson will set the team up in an ultra conservative way. It's in his nature. He will change things up in a desperate situation but will be looking for 2 points from the first 2 games then a win against Costa Rica to progress.

It probably won't work.

I'm putting some money on Ivory Coast getting through. Any team with Toure and Drogba needs to be restecped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back