• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Bigger Picture - aka we've been here before

90291Spur

Paul Walsh
As this season crumbles away in a series of heavy defeats, weak performances and set piece goals conceded, the bigger picture looms for me. And yes, we have been here before. Too often. And once again we need the manager to be supported by the club in terms of players in and out.

Should Ange get more of the players he needs, and this summer window will not address all the personnel issues, I’m confident that we will progress, especially as our debutants this season will have a full season under their belts. I’m also hopeful (the hope that kills…?) that Ange will reflect on the ups and downs of this year and learn and also grow.

We have seen a squad start to be over-hauled, we have (until recently) seen some great football and felt that we have our Spurs back. Yes, we haven’t replaced Kane, but January was never going to be the time to do that. Yes we are thin in many other areas, but that will (hopefully) be addressed.

Ange, who is not above valid criticism, must be given time. Legohead was. Klippety-Klopp was. If given time and the resources he thinks he needs (I’m not a man of prayer but will PRAY for a set piece coach), the whole of next season could be a thrill ride.

COYS!!!

Totally agree. And I’ve no doubt Ange will be given time, and support in the transfer window.

(For all the negativity, I don’t think anyone here thinks we should be sacking Ange before the start of next season do they?)

I can only see things turning properly sour if we can't beat Burnley and Sheffield Utd. Big losses against Liverpool and City look fairly inevitable and if we play the way we have done we'll deserve it. As the OP says looking at the bigger picture is key and not forgetting that we have actually had spells of being enjoyable to watch.

Is it possibly a saving grace that the start of the season form hasn't happened at the end? At least we're finding out that we're miles off it against good opposition and the excuses of some key injuries in an imbalanced squad or half hearted cries about VAR have been washed away. Many predicted that we would just go back to being excellent once we had players back from tournaments / injury and I'm not sure if that was just positivity for positivity's sake, things are never that simple.

Seeing Ange going ballistic on the sidelines to no avail, talk of other players needing what Romero has (ie calling out their mentality) and copping the blame in a less than convincing manner last night have got me a little concerned but nothing big enough to cast doubt on him being the right way to proceed for next season. Hopefully we can still hold on to 5th because as the general consensus says, that's still a respectable finish that probably exceeds the majority of expectations going in to the season. Having had a full pre season, no European football and misfires in both domestic competitions it's not mind-blowing but it's something to build on.

I agree any manager needs time. But it has to be the right manager.

My issue is that I don’t like what I think Ange wants us to be.

I might be reading his intentions wrongly of course.

Last edited:
As this season crumbles away in a series of heavy defeats, weak performances and set piece goals conceded, the bigger picture looms for me. And yes, we have been here before. Too often. And once again we need the manager to be supported by the club in terms of players in and out.

Should Ange get more of the players he needs, and this summer window will not address all the personnel issues, I’m confident that we will progress, especially as our debutants this season will have a full season under their belts. I’m also hopeful (the hope that kills…?) that Ange will reflect on the ups and downs of this year and learn and also grow.

We have seen a squad start to be over-hauled, we have (until recently) seen some great football and felt that we have our Spurs back. Yes, we haven’t replaced Kane, but January was never going to be the time to do that. Yes we are thin in many other areas, but that will (hopefully) be addressed.

Ange, who is not above valid criticism, must be given time. Legohead was. Klippety-Klopp was. If given time and the resources he thinks he needs (I’m not a man of prayer but will PRAY for a set piece coach), the whole of next season could be a thrill ride.

COYS!!!
A set piece coach won't be happening....
in house only.

What is that in your opinion?
A team that takes risks and leaves itself open at the back, that relies on goals for to outnumber goals against, that doesn’t use dark arts to gain advantage.

I think he’s too idealistic, too honest and too nice. That’s not how you succeed in professional football.

• Disagree
Reactions: jrh
A team that takes risks and leaves itself open at the back, that relies on goals for to outnumber goals against, that doesn’t use dark arts to gain advantage.

I think he’s too idealistic, too honest and too nice. That’s not how you succeed in professional football.
So like the Sky and X phalanx, you don't count all the success he's had in previous jobs.

Well that brings us back to time.

I think they both put in better seasons than this one.
So let's give Ange time before binning him off then? He's doing above expectation, having lost Kane, loads of injuries and a disrupted fixture list. Let's see what happens.

I agree with all of those, but it is who we are, it is this "DNA" thing that gets trotted out.
It's brilliant when it's going our way, when it's working, when it isn't working it feels horrible, we don't want to win like the cheats of this world.
It's difficult looking at the financial dropping of city and Chelsea, the asthma suffers at Liverpool or any other of lesser clubs kick, dive and cheat their to success.
It's morals or glory.
We want both, modern world isn't like that, if it ever was.

So let's give Ange time before binning him off then? He's doing above expectation, having lost Kane, loads of injuries and a disrupted fixture list. Let's see what happens.

The only metric where he is doing well is league position, in every other footballing department i would say we are not doing well. He gets next season but a massive improvement is required.

I don’t have a lot of respect for the leagues he’s managed in before no.
But a league that has been won four out of five by the same team is better?
A league with teams getting 90 points plus at the top and less than 30 at the bottom.
What's the difference?

The only metric where he is doing well is league position, in every other footballing department i would say we are not doing well. He gets next season but a massive improvement is required.
So what's the answer? Burn it all down and start again, again?

People have pointed it out already, Arteta finished 8th in his first two seasons. It's down to us the fan base and the entire club to show some courage and back the guy.

We're supporters aren't we?

Back