• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of the PL era - manager

Who is the best manager that Spurs have had in the Premier League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Difficult for me. I have massive respect and affection for Jol. I thought that Redknapp had us playing some great stuff and really enjoyed watching us during his tenure.I think and hope that Poch will eclipse them both long term. Difficult choice to make.

I'll add, a fair bit of mercurial talent in this side, Jol has form with getting performances from such players

I voted for Jol, the difference in our club on the day he arrived compared to the one on the day he left was enormous, others took steps forward after him (not forgetting that it's incrementally harder too) and achieved loftier goals but they all built on his major groundwork.

Oh, and he has brothers called dingdong and rooster.
here here. Loved the Guy. Maybe not our best manager in terms of results but he made us respected again.

Poch's got promise, but we never had it so good.

Poch's achievement is up there with BMJ and should not be understated. IMO what he has already achieved is greater than Redknapp's, AVB or Ramos because of the context, although I respect the achievements of all 3 ( despite disliking the 1st two). Poch took over a team shorn of all it's world class players, replaced with inferior players and going by the results of the preceding season, a team not fit for purpose. We had blown the Bale windfall and at the same time we were in a period of financial transition due to the stadium build meaning tight controls on spending. This was a team in the balance and it could have faded back into mid table obscurity. Instead he built a young, hungry team from the bottom up and has given us the highest finish in our premier league history- and there is more to come.

Last edited:
1. Redknapp
2. Poch (and could could still climb higher)
3. Jol
4. Ramos
5. George Graham
6. AVB

Redknapp took us over bottom of the league and the team in complete disarray after 8 games and almost took us to the UEFA cup that season. He then achieved PL finishes of 4th, 5th, 4th our best 3 finishes in a row since the PL started. He did this with our team playing by far the most exciting football in the country at the time and perhaps the best football I have ever seen us play. Also took us to the quarters of the CL.

Poch gave us our highest PL finish and seemed to make the sum of our team better than its parts. We were also by and large a very good team to watch again. He also did a very good job in clearing up AVBs mess of a squad. If he can get us into the Europa once and the CL again once in the next 2 seasons then he will have a chance of moving above Redknapp.

Jol was the man who gave us our pride back. He made WHL a fortress, got us playing some great stuff and, with Arneson, brought in some good, reasonably priced players that took us from a mid table club to a European regular.

Ramos won us the League Cup and on our day we were a bloody good side under him that could beat anyone. The trouble was that we didn't have our day often enough and the start of the season he was sacked was abysmal, with the players having completely stopped playing for him.

George Graham, like Ramos he won us the league cup. He also steadied the ship somewhat after a few terrible years. Awful football though.

AVB. Took a fantastic team..... and destroyed it. Turned us from the best team in the country to watch to one of the worst within two seasons. Completely lost the plot with both his transfer targets and also his signings. I think the game that completely summed him up as a manager was when we played Liverpool at home and implemented a suicidal high line with a central defensive pair of Dawson and Capoue. He just about finishes above Santini (vying with him for the title of producing the most boring Spurs team ever) on account of being lucky enough to inherit a fantastic team and World class player in Bale from Rednapp's tenure. Still couldn't get us the top 4 with a 100 million euro player in the team though.

1. Redknapp
2. Poch (and could could still climb higher)
3. Jol
4. Ramos
5. George Graham
6. AVB

Redknapp took us over bottom of the league and the team in complete disarray after 8 games and almost took us to the UEFA cup that season. He then achieved PL finishes of 4th, 5th, 4th our best 3 finishes in a row since the PL started. He did this with our team playing by far the most exciting football in the country at the time and perhaps the best football I have ever seen us play. Also took us to the quarters of the CL.

Poch gave us our highest PL finish and seemed to make the sum of our team better than its parts. We were also by and large a very good team to watch again. He also did a very good job in clearing up AVBs mess of a squad. If he can get us into the Europa once and the CL again once in the next 2 seasons then he will have a chance of moving above Redknapp.

Jol was the man who gave us our pride back. He made WHL a fortress, got us playing some great stuff and, with Arneson, brought in some good, reasonably priced players that took us from a mid table club to a European regular.

Ramos won us the League Cup and on our day we were a bloody good side under him that could beat anyone. The trouble was that we didn't have our day often enough and the start of the season he was sacked was abysmal, with the players having completely stopped playing for him.

George Graham, like Ramos he won us the league cup. He also steadied the ship somewhat after a few terrible years. Awful football though.

AVB. Took a fantastic team..... and destroyed it. Turned us from the best team in the country to watch to one of the worst within two seasons. Completely lost the plot with both his transfer targets and also his signings. I think the game that completely summed him up as a manager was when we played Liverpool at home and implemented a suicidal high line with a central defensive pair of Dawson and Capoue. He just about finishes above Santini (vying with him for the title of producing the most boring Spurs team ever) on account of being lucky enough to inherit a fantastic team and World class player in Bale from Rednapp's tenure. Still couldn't get us the top 4 with a 100 million euro player in the team though.
Superb post! Thank you Finney.

It's all about context though.

Redknapp inherited Modric and Bale, and a setup that had been on a steep upward curve for 4 years.

Jol and Hoddle for example generally had absolute crap to work with
Hmmmm - Jol actually inherited a top class Paul Robinson, a fully fit Ledley King, Naybet, Michael Carrick, Pedro Mendes, Simon Davies, Robbie Keane, Freddie Kanoute and Jemain Defoe. We had some good players - we were just poorly managed by Santini prior to that. Jol obviously took those players, gave them confidence, got them playing better, added further good players and improved us from the point at which he took us over, just as Redknapp did.

It's funny how there is always a bit of a sense of rewriting history where Redknapp is concerned.... I think perhaps because he actually built such a good team at Spurs and what he left us was so good that people assume he already had this when he joined. In reality Redknapp inherited a team and squad in dissarray - with Ledley King, the captain (and best player) unable to play, King's central defensive partner (Woodgate) perma-crocked, the team having just lost both of it's two top class centre forwards in Berbatov and Keane, replacing them with the mediocre Pavylunchenko. Bale looked talented but appeared to be too much of a baby to make it and Modric looked lightweight and ill equipped for the PL.

When Redknapp took over the team we had a shocking looking Hurelio Gomes in goal, Hutton or Gunter at right back, Corluka playing centre half, Assou-Ekotto at left back (who at the time everybody was criticising as a poor player), I think our midfield options were David Bentley, Jemaine Jenas, Tom Huddlestone and Jamie OHara with an at his peak Aaron Lennon and a nowhere near his peak Bale. Our options up front Darren Bent and Roman Pavyluchenko. It was a midtable team on paper that was performing even worse than that.

Redknapp didn't inherit a World class Bale or Modric - he helped them become such players - firstly shifting Modric to the left so that he would have a little more space and time on the ball. I think this was key in Modric adjusting to English football. He turned Bale from a talented, but weak and lacking confidence kid into a monster of a player that every team was scared of. He allowed Ledley King to miss every single training session and just turn up on Friday and let him know whether he felt able to play that weekend.... What other manager would allow that? He took Gomes out of the immediate firing line until he had gained some confidence, he brought in extra centre halves so that we ould push Corluka out to right back. He helped Ekotto turn into probably our best left back since the PL started. Those things didn't just happen by accident, they happened because despite his demeanor Redknapp actually knew what he was doing. He always knew what the team lacked and he was good at bringing in the right players to cover our weaknesses.

It is also untrue to say that the team had been on a steep upward curve for 4 years. Jol gave us a huge boost, but we didn't continue the upward curve, in fact we dropped off from properly challenging for 4th to being 5th by a long way. Ramos then took us back to mid-table. We then lost two of our best three players in Berbatov and Keane and pretty much lost our best player and captain in King (only for Redknapp to find a way of still being able to play him).

To ignore what Harry did for our club is ridiculous. He was the best thing to happen to our club for a long while. As I said before - Pochettino has the chance to surpass Harry and I really hope that he does so, but currently that is where the bar is set in terms of our mangers since the PL started.

Last edited:
Half the intelligence of the mumbling one? Give over mate!
Ah - but you never saw any of his Powerpoints! He did this exploding 3D pie chart on one of them that had Levy eating out of the palm of his hand.

Also interesting that despite AVB having such fantastic intelligence he couldn't take over Redknapp's squad and keep them in the top four.

Ah - but you never saw any of his Powerpoints! He did this exploding 3D pie chart on one of them that had Levy eating out of the palm of his hand.

Also interesting that despite AVB having such fantastic intelligence he couldn't take over Redknapp's squad and keep them in the top four.

Ah yes the pie chart how could I forget????

Hmmmm - Jol actually inherited a top class Paul Robinson, a fully fit Ledley King, Naybet, Michael Carrick, Pedro Mendes, Simon Davies, Robbie Keane, Freddie Kanoute and Jemain Defoe. We had some good players - we were just poorly managed by Santini prior to that. Jol obviously took those players, gave them confidence, got them playing better, added further good players and improved us from the point at which he took us over, just as Redknapp did.

It's funny how there is always a bit of a sense of rewriting history where Redknapp is concerned.... I think perhaps because he actually built such a good team at Spurs and what he left us was so good that people assume he already had this when he joined. In reality Redknapp inherited a team and squad in dissarray - with Ledley King, the captain (and best player) unable to play, King's central defensive partner (Woodgate) perma-crocked, the team having just lost both of it's two top class centre forwards in Berbatov and Keane, replacing them with the mediocre Pavylunchenko. Bale looked talented but appeared to be too much of a baby to make it and Modric looked lightweight and ill equipped for the PL.

When Redknapp took over the team we had a shocking looking Hurelio Gomes in goal, Hutton or Gunter at right back, Corluka playing centre half, Assou-Ekotto at left back (who at the time everybody was criticising as a poor player), I think our midfield options were David Bentley, Jemaine Jenas, Tom Huddlestone and Jamie OHara with an at his peak Aaron Lennon and a nowhere near his peak Bale. Our options up front Darren Bent and Roman Pavyluchenko. It was a midtable team on paper that was performing even worse than that.

Redknapp didn't inherit a World class Bale or Modric - he helped them become such players - firstly shifting Modric to the left so that he would have a little more space and time on the ball. I think this was key in Modric adjusting to English football. He turned Bale from a talented, but weak and lacking confidence kid into a monster of a player that every team was scared of. He allowed Ledley King to miss every single training session and just turn up on Friday and let him know whether he felt able to play that weekend.... What other manager would allow that? He took Gomes out of the immediate firing line until he had gained some confidence, he brought in extra centre halves so that we ould push Corluka out to right back. He helped Ekotto turn into probably our best left back since the PL started. Those things didn't just happen by accident, they happened because despite his demeanor Redknapp actually knew what he was doing. He always knew what the team lacked and he was good at bringing in the right players to cover our weaknesses.

It is also untrue to say that the team had been on a steep upward curve for 4 years. Jol gave us a huge boost, but we didn't continue the upward curve, in fact we dropped off from properly challenging for 4th to being 5th by a long way. Ramos then took us back to mid-table. We then lost two of our best three players in Berbatov and Keane and pretty much lost our best player and captain in King (only for Redknapp to find a way of still being able to play him).

To ignore what Harry did for our club is ridiculous. He was the best thing to happen to our club for a long while. As I said before - Pochettino has the chance to surpass Harry and I really hope that he does so, but currently that is where the bar is set in terms of our mangers since the PL started.
Plus the fact that everybody knew Spurs were a soft touch, so the first thing he did was buy Palacios.

Back