• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of the PL era - goalkeeper

Who is the best goalkeeper to play for Spurs in the Premier League?

• Friedel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomes

• Sullivan

• Walker

• Keller

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milo

Jack L. Jones
Right. It's time to stop moping and choose the best Spurs team of the Premier League era.

We'll have a different thread for each position over the coming weeks. The thread will be open for a while for nominations and the most frequently mentioned players will be going into a poll on the same thread.

The only criteria to be nominated is that the player must have played for Spurs in the Premier League.

The team will line up 4-2-3-1.

Reminiscing about favourite players past and present is encouraged.

Anyone who comes into the thread, doesn't read what we're doing and posts their full best team of all time, gets laughed at.

Who have we had in goal in the PL Era? Walker, Baardsen, Sullivan, Keller, Robbo, Gomes, Friedel, Vorm, Lloris? Did we have Erik at the start? I've probably missed a few.

Lloris by a mile.

Lloris - just on another level to all the rest. And that's coming from someone who loved Robbo and Gomes.

Depending on whether or not my wife is reading this I may or may not have suggested we name our son Hugo because of Lloris.

Hugo by some distance. Second place to Robbo who only doesn't come into #1 because of his drop in form towards the latter end of his career when I was really expecting him to become better.

Great thread Milo. Exactly what is needed.

Thorsvedt - great shot stopper and commanded his area like no other keeper I have seen since. The Away support loved him, as shown by the stealing of his chant for Dier. Terrible Debut, one of the worst, letting a tame shot slip through his hands. But he hadly every messed up after that.

Lloirs - Lots of peeps will go for him as he is our current keeper and also very very good. But I still miss the Erik Times.

Honorable Mentions:
Robinson - Good but not great keeper. But his rapport with the crowd was brilliant and he is great guy.
Sullivan - for that one game along against the scum where he saved everything and saved us from a hiding.
Keller - A decent keeper and a good guy.

Lloris' kicking lets him down at times for me, which costs him a World Class tag in my eyes, but despite Robinson scoring more goals, Lloris still gets my vote

Lloris, closely followed by Robbo. We've generally had pretty good keepers.

For about one season, then they became brick.

Lloris and Thorstvedt are the only ones to escape the curse, though the latter was ended by injuries.

big Erik for me, by quite a margin

after that it's a toss up between the reliability of Hugo and the brilliance of Gomes

Friedel didn't let us down, nor Keller really considering the D in front of him

Robbo and Sullivan both had fine seasons but tailed off noticeably

I'm not sure where to put Walker I must confess, he was a talented keeper who had a mistake in him but also had the misfortune to be in some truly awful teams

For about one season, then they became brick.

Lloris and Thorstvedt are the only ones to escape the curse, though the latter was ended by injuries.

That strikes me as hypercritical, shall we say. We have had one or two black swans rear their heads, though, I'll grant.

Dá dtitfeadh crann sa choill, is orainn a thitfeadh sé.

Lloris, obviously. My second choice would be Robinson who sadly suffered badly after that awful moment against Croatia, and never recovered. My third would be Friedel who proved so many people wrong.

Thorstvedt by some margin for me. A giant, commanding figure, good shot stopper. He also had a great but unusual kick from his hands. He seemed a bit undone by the backpass rule when it came in but sadly after that injuries began to intervene. Still had a couple of very good seasons in 92/3 & 93/4. Seem to remember him saving almost everything in a 1-0 defeat at Blackburn amongst a couple of other heroic performances over that period.

Back