• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - right back

Who is the best right back to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not being overly old, I'd be inclined to go from Walker - I think he's massively underrated. I might be showing my lack of footballing knowledge on a worldwide scale, but I can't remember watching many European games over the last year and thinking we could do with player x at RB. Yeah he's not perfect but he's definitely reducing the number of silly mistakes he makes and can't see any real weaknesses. Are there many obviously better Rbs in Europe right now? If there are I haven't seen them....

I agree, for me he is the best RB in the Prem and unfortunately ( for him) he seems to be the boo boy ( taken that mantle from Jenas) for some of our fans.

I will vote Perryman, simply because he deserves to make this XI somewhere.

*edit* I would have voted, but just noticed the poll has closed :)

How are people voting on this? I don't like voting for players I've never actually seen play live, however, that wouldn't leave me with "the best" Spurs team. I guess you've got to vote on reputation as well.

For that reason I'm going for Perryman.

said this in previous thread re keeper ..

even if people have seen those players live, do they really remember them? strengths/weaknesses, what they brought to team, compromises needed, etc. +difference of modern game.

Charlie was the best defending RB +brought the best out of Lennon (something every other RB at Spurs has failed to do over a decade), used his brain/positioning to make up for lack of pace.
Walker is the best modern RB, pace/physicality, threat going forward, uses athleticism to cover for bad positioning (the fact that the system often overcommits our FBs)

I missed this thread somehow. :oops:

But I am pleased to read through it and see Perryman get the nod. He won't make the midfield purely as a player, especially with a 4-4-2 selection, so this is an ideal solution.

I missed this thread somehow. :oops:

But I am pleased to read through it and see Perryman get the nod. He won't make the midfield purely as a player, especially with a 4-4-2 selection, so this is an ideal solution.

I must once again protest that we're looking for the best ever XI, not the biggest legends. Mabbutt and Perryman wouldn't get into the former.

I must once again protest that we're looking for the best ever XI, not the biggest legends. Mabbutt and Perryman wouldn't get into the former.

I'm keeping track of an alternative side, so far I'm confident the "reserves" are going to have a better team :)

so far it's,

Ditchburn
Kinnear
England
Norman

Perryman is a legitimate contender for RB as others in this thread have explained. He was RB from around 1981 which was a more successful period than anything since. I'm happy to put him ahead of Kinnear while I can only judge Ramsey and Baker on reputation.

Also, as you say, we are going for the best XI, not the best player in each position, so some leeway is justified. Perryman could be a good pairing with an attacking left back. Furthermore, there could be a good case for a wonky 4-4-2 with say a classic left winger and right-sided midfielder.

I'm keeping track of an alternative side, so far I'm confident the "reserves" are going to have a better team :)

so far it's,

Ditchburn
Kinnear
England
Norman

Galeforce, what have you done?

Now we are going to get endless arguments about who should be in the reserves.

(Clemence for me over Ditchburn, but apart from when I popped into his sports shop in North Street, Romford, I never saw Ditchburn. Venables controversially picked him ahead of Pat in a video I once had in which El Veg picked his all-time Spurs XI.)

D'oh! I told you the arguments would start.

Galeforce, what have you done?

Now we are going to get endless arguments about who should be in the reserves.

(Clemence for me over Ditchburn, but apart from when I popped into his sports shop in North Street, Romford, I never saw Ditchburn. Venables controversially picked him ahead of Pat in a video I once had in which El Veg picked his all-time Spurs XI.)

D'oh! I told you the arguments would start.

this is mine, feel free to make your own, maybe we could have a summer tournament, anyone who wants in submits their side, then we have a series of polls to see who people think would win out of each matchup

I had that El Tel Vid as well, it was great, so many funny stories

Back