• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - right back

Who is the best right back to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milo

Jack L. Jones
A quick recap of what we're doing

Right. The best Spurs team of all time.

We'll have a different thread for each position over the coming weeks. The thread will be open for a while for nominations and the most frequently mentioned players will be going into a poll on the same thread.

The team will line up 4-4-2. Old style.

Anyone who comes into the thread, doesn't read what we're doing and posts their full best team of all time, gets laughed at.

Second position up - right back.

Have a chat and come up with but nominations, make a case for who you think is best. A poll will be added when it looks like we have a few players to pick between.

I think this will be an obvious choice as well, but for arguments sake lets discuss some alternatives to Dean Austin.

In my lifetime, Walker and Carr stand out, but, if you know your history, we have had three exceptional RB's down the years, Sir Alf, Baker, and Kinnear, the success of Baker and his involvement in the double team gets my vote.

Well I have been discussing this with another spurs fan who is another old codger like me and he said Steve Perryman. But to me he was an attacking mid fielder. Or is my poor old brain playing tricks with me? He is one of my favourite players ever! Not one of the best but his amount of appearances and work rate alone gives him legend status. But a right back?

Having been raised on a steady diet of Dean Austin, David Kerslake and Paul Stalteri (he wasn't as bad as those other two to be fair to him) then Carr and Walker stand out, from the players I've seen. But we must've had better than that in the past, surely?

Sir Alf Ramsey was probably our best since WWII but I only saw him as a kid in his later years and sadly the memory that sticks in my mind the most is of him lobbing a back pass straight over Ted Ditchburn and into an empty net for a calamitous og.

Peter Baker: an ever-present in the Double-winning side, he was solid and tidy rather than dominant, concentrating on defending his goal,winning tackles and then laying the ball off neatly to the likes of Danny Blanchflower or Cliff Jones to get on with the more adventurous stuff.

Joe Kinnear: along with the likes of Cyril Knowles, Mike England and Pat Jennings in goal he was for me the meanest part of Spurs' meanest-ever defence. Very little ever got past him.

Steve Perryman: despite his somewhat diminutive stature he moved to RB in his later years and made that position a total lockout. His trademark was his brilliantly-timed sliding tackle, so often critical and always clean.

Kyle Walker: though admittedly prone to more than the occasional brainfart Kyle has established himself well and truly as our most dominant RB of the modern era.

For the sheer joy alone of watching the little terrier flying into the tackle so often to rescue us when all else seemed lost my vote will probably go to the magnificent Stevie Perryman.

Last edited:
Steve Perryman, did it day in day out for hundreds of matches, few brain farts, he was Mr Consistency. The fact that he could play elsewhere adds to the attraction. Performed in big games too!

Was Perrymans main position RB then? I always had him down as a CB or CM (not that I was around when he was playing)

Walker from my time

Was Perrymans main position RB then? I always had him down as a CB or CM (not that I was around when he was playing)

Walker from my time
In his early years he was an inside forward (as they were called in those days) before moving back as you say into central midfield for the middle years. It was only in his last days that he moved to RB, but he made such a massive impact captaining the side from that position he has to be in the mix.

He was never a CB though.

Corluka was one of the most solid fullbacks we ever had. I really liked him never did anything too fancy, kept it simple and had a good relationship with Lennon. Pace obviously wasn't his strong point.

Clear winner for me is Diesel tho. What a man.

My team so far:
Gomes
Stalteri

Looking forward to naming Atouba as my left back although Young Pyo Lee will give me something to think about

No nominations for The Gloved One - Shimbomba! :D Although he was pretty decent at times.

My nominations - Kinnear or Walker.

As others have mentioned, my memories of Perryman are not of him as a RB.

Walker from my time

Steve Perryman is 'Mr Tottenham' and a very underrated player. Played in a multitude of positions but with midfielders such as Hoddle,Ardiles,Gazza,White,Blanchflower,Mackay etc he ain't getting into our greatest ever midfield.
We did not have right backs of the quality of our midfielders and Stevie was as good as any of our full backs. He must be in the best eleven somewhere and this is the only place he deserves to be in on merit.
Sorry but it would be criminal to
put Walker in at right back in front of Perryman.

Joe Kinnear for me. Ten years at the club. 200 appearances and four major trophy wins including a Uefa cup. Many on here will only remember him as a bit of a Schlong when he managed Wimbledon and the later debacle at Saudi Sportswashing Machine. However he was a good servant at Spurs and without doubt the best right back I have seen in my time watching the club . Joe Gets my vote.

Joe Kinnear for me. Ten years at the club. 200 appearances and four major trophy wins including a Uefa cup. Many on here will only remember him as a bit of a Schlong when he managed Wimbledon and the later debacle at Saudi Sportswashing Machine. However he was a good servant at Spurs and without doubt the best right back I have seen in my time watching the club . Joe Gets my vote.

I'll go for Joe too. But if Stevie Perryman doesn't get in the side anywhere else, then I would have to pick him here.

Walker from my time

According to MEHSTG he switched to RB when Graham Roberts arrived in 1980-81, meaning he would have made over 250 appearances at RB in all first-class competitions by the time he left in 1986.

Decided to do a rough and ready check through the record books and internet of the main nominations so far. In summaries Wiki gives totals for League appearances only so here's what I've come up with:

RB League appearances for Tottenham*

299 - Peter Baker
292 - Joe Kinnear
226 - Sir Alf Ramsey
226 - Stephen Carr
205 - Steve Perryman (out of 655 in total)
130 - Kyle Walker
81 - Vedran Corluka

Out of over 850 appearances for us in all competitions, Steve notched a total of 255 at RB, winning three Cup trophies from that position - all of them (I believe) as captain.

*Sources:
Tottenham Hotspur: the Complete Record (Bob Goodwin, 2007)
Wikipedia

I'll go for Joe too. But if Stevie Perryman doesn't get in the side anywhere else, then I would have to pick him here.

it's an interesting quandary, if we just take the best 11 players we've ever had then we'll need Ossie to be (player?) manager to come up with a formation to get them all into

we're gonna have to leave some stalwarts out, i'll be surprised if the magnificent and equally versatile Mabbs gets into the final eleven

also, the best 11 might not make the best team, Crooks and Archibald were a great pair, likewise Sheringham and Klinsmann, but other combinations of "superior" players may not have been as effective

it's an interesting quandary, if we just take the best 11 players we've ever had then we'll need Ossie to be (player?) manager to come up with a formation to get them all into

we're gonna have to leave some stalwarts out, i'll be surprised if the magnificent and equally versatile Mabbs gets into the final eleven

also, the best 11 might not make the best team, Crooks and Archibald were a great pair, likewise Sheringham and Klinsmann, but other combinations of "superior" players may not have been as effective

We're going to have a think about this when it comes to midfield. I'm happy to split the central midfield positions or we could take them as one and select the two most popular.

We're going to have a think about this when it comes to midfield. I'm happy to split the central midfield positions or we could take them as one and select the two most popular.

yep, tricky

I guess it comes down to the minimum number of forwards and wide players we put in, we'll probably only have two left at that point

the common formation shift between the modern day and the double side confuses things as well

Corluka was one of the most solid fullbacks we ever had. I really liked him never did anything too fancy, kept it simple and had a good relationship with Lennon. Pace obviously wasn't his strong point.

Clear winner for me is Diesel tho. What a man.

My team so far:
Gomes
Stalteri

Looking forward to naming Atouba as my left back although Young Pyo Lee will give me something to think about

I liked Corluka too, quite dependable. I was a bit young to Remember Kinnear, my memories start with Terry Naylor and Steve Perryman. In more recent times Carr and Walker merit a mention and I really rated Danny Thomas but he didn't play enough games due to his leg break. All in all from what I've seen it has to be Perryman for his determination and consistently good performance in the position.

Back