• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - manager

Who was the second best Spurs manager of all time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milo

Jack L. Jones
Well you've picked your team and it is a blinder.

GG-GreatestTeam.svg

Now we need someone to manage them. The same format as before, have a chat about the candidates and a poll will be added when it looks like we have a few to pick between. Who you think was best?

Well, we all know that Bill Nicholson will win hands down. After that there are some options. Arthur Rowe, as our first championship winning manager and architect of the Tottenham style, and Keith Burkinshaw, as manager of our second most successful side, are the obvious two.

After that we have David Pleat for1987, albeit a brief flash of what could have been, Martin Jol for restoring hope, and Harry Redknapp for bringing top European football back to the Lane. I'm not sure about whether to add Terry Venables.

Gross, with Old Gerry Francis as his assistant (he can make transfer decisions like Chris Armstrong instead of Bergkamp).

Bill Nicholson will win of course. For me Venables was top-class as well. A real shame Sugar dismissed him, at the time I thought he was assembling a promising squad.

Well, we all know that Bill Nicholson will win hands down. After that there are some options. Arthur Rowe, as our first championship winning manager and architect of the Tottenham style, and Keith Burkinshaw, as manager of our second most successful side, are the obvious two.

After that we have David Pleat for1987, albeit a brief flash of what could have been, Martin Jol for restoring hope, and Harry Redknapp for bringing top European football back to the Lane. I'm not sure about whether to add Terry Venables.

Terry V. lost me when he signed Terry Fenwick.....

In my mind it goes:

Nicholson

(big gap)

Burkinshaw
Rowe

(big gap)

Venables
Pleat
Pochettino
Jol

(big gap)

bar

El Tel last winner of the FA Cup and took us to 3rd place finish!

I'll never understand the love for Venables' reign. Pleat's team that preceded Venables' period was exciting and hugely unlucky not to win at least one trophy. I never got the same feeling about Venables' team even though we had huge high spots. A few individuals papered over the cracks with Gascoigne more or less dragging us to the FA Cup final against poor opposition. Yes, I know that we beat Arsenal in the semi-final and that is up there with my fondest memories, but when TV denied that we would play the offside trap and I then saw Fenwick running forward with his arm raised like a sub-par Tony Adams....can't say I ever trusted him to do the right thing. His win percentage isn't that great and he really came across as being like Redknapp but without the results. Had lots of mates in the press to big him up but his results in England never justified his reputation.

I'll never understand the love for Venables' reign. Pleat's team that preceded Venables' period was exciting and hugely unlucky not to win at least one trophy. I never got the same feeling about Venables' team even though we had huge high spots. A few individuals papered over the cracks with Gascoigne more or less dragging us to the FA Cup final against poor opposition. Yes, I know that we beat Arsenal in the semi-final and that is up there with my fondest memories, but when TV denied that we would play the offside trap and I then saw Fenwick running forward with his arm raised like a sub-par Tony Adams....can't say I ever trusted him to do the right thing. His win percentage isn't that great and he really came across as being like Redknapp but without the results. Had lots of mates in the press to big him up but his results in England never justified his reputation.

We were very good in the league in the 89-90 season. And then that magical cup run in 90-91.

There were problems, but it was also the indian summer of our glory glory days dating back to the early 60s.

I have to agree. @jimmyb schooled me in the football at the time and what went on behind the scenes and my eyes were opened. For Spurs, he was average.

for me it's

Bill Nicholson
Arthur Rowe
Keith Burkinshaw
Terry venables

hopefully Pochettino will make this list one day

The internet is a funny place and people can take even the most absurd nonsense seriously. I'm sure @milo isn't so silly; but for the avoidance of doubt... I'm not really lobbying to put Sherwood on the short-list. OK?

For me, Bill Nicholson was before my time, but managers - unlike players - can be accurately judged on a historical record. So Bill Nicholson wins this category hands-down. Better to just start off with a vote for 'Assistant Manager' as has already been suggested. In that poll, I'll be voting for Keith Burkinshaw, with Arthur Rowe being the other serious contender. To make up the numbers, chuck in Venables, Ramos and Redknapp. Hopefully in a few years we'll be adding Pochettino to the mix.

Back