• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - manager

Who was the second best Spurs manager of all time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think just get on with the two horse race.

That Venables (who I wouldn't argue to include) is the only other manager - excluding BN, AR and KB - to win a major trophy since 1921 is quite telling.

I think it was Jol who was most responsible for bringing back our pride. We had been pretty diabolical for several years prior to him arriving and completely changing the atmosphere at WHL. Redknapp then developed that further and turned us into the best team in the country to watch. Additionally he took us over when we were bottom of the table and transitioned that to finishes of 4th, 5th and 4th again in his 3 full seasons at the club. I think Pochettino has to get us at least 1 (and probably 2) top 4 finishes or win us a major trophy before we can start to rank him above Redknapp - no matter how much we all love Pochettino right now.

After AVB did his best to dismantle Redknapp's work and Sherwood came in for half a season and made us entertaining to watch again, I think Pochettino has come in added organisation, desire and also a clear gameplan. He has a chance to become a Tottenham great. He just needs time, support from the boardroom and loyalty from himself to stay at the club.

I hope that we are revisiting this in 10 years time and talking about Pochettino usurping Sir Bill as being our greatest ever manager, but for now he shouldn't even be on the list.
Well said. Agree with every word.

I think just get on with the two horse race.

That Venables (who I wouldn't argue to include) is the only other manager - excluding BN, AR and KB - to win a major trophy since 1921 is quite telling.
Agree.

As a footnote we ought to give at least a mention to Jimmy Anderson who revived our fortunes from a series of relegation battles in the mid-50s taking us to League runners-up in 1956-57 plus FA Cup semi-finalists then 3rd in 1957-58. Though he didn't win any trophies his Tottenham were one of the most exciting and attractive sides in the League, notching 104 goals with a goal-difference of 48 in 42 games in that runners-up season.

Gross, with Old Gerry Francis as his assistant (he can make transfer decisions like Chris Armstrong instead of Bergkamp).
To be fair, wasn't it Sugar that pushed that?

I hope we "discussing" who should be chairman next - that will be fun!

Agree.

As a footnote we ought to give at least a mention to Jimmy Anderson who revived our fortunes from a series of relegation battles in the mid-50s taking us to League runners-up in 1956-57 plus FA Cup semi-finalists then 3rd in 1957-58. Though he didn't win any trophies his Tottenham were one of the most exciting and attractive sides in the League, notching 104 goals with a goal-difference of 48 in 42 games in that runners-up season.

Christ he was manager when I first went.

Another season like the current one and many peoples vote will change.
I cannot personally 'remember' 'seeing' a better prepared group of players wearing a Spurs shirt?

Another season like the current one and many peoples vote will change.
I cannot personally 'remember' 'seeing' a better prepared group of players wearing a Spurs shirt?
We were very VERY good under Pleat in 87. Fixture congestion caught up with us in the end and had we not been in with a shout of winning three competitions until quite late on I think we would've won at least one of them. In a way we're in a similar sort of position now.

We were very VERY good under Pleat in 87. Fixture congestion caught up with us in the end and had we not been in with a shout of winning three competitions until quite late on I think we would've won at least one of them. In a way we're in a similar sort of position now.

Probably @Finney Is Back my memory is very poor/selective. It only works in the now + 6/7 years if I try hard. Once a game has finnish it gets erased in the main. I would have to rerun an average/run of the mill game from last season to truly remember it.

What a classy footballing side that was. Ray Clemence, Danny Thomas/Gary Stevens, Richard Gough, Gary Mabbut, Mitchell Thomas (cough), Chrissy Waddle, Glenn Hoddle, Ossie Ardiles, Paul Allen, Steve Hodge and a rampant Clive Allen. As you say fixture congestion did for us but also injuries, including the prematurely career-ending knee injury to Danny Thomas.

What a classy footballing side that was. Ray Clemence, Danny Thomas/Gary Stevens, Richard Gough, Gary Mabbut, Mitchell Thomas (cough), Chrissy Waddle, Glenn Hoddle, Ossie Ardiles, Paul Allen, Steve Hodge and a rampant Clive Allen. As you say fixture congestion did for us but also injuries, including the prematurely career-ending knee injury to Danny Thomas.

Ahhh 1987, the nostalgia.

How would you both compare the side in 1987, the side we had in 2011/12 and this season's side?

Ahhh 1987, the nostalgia.

How would you both compare the side in 1987, the side we had in 2011/12 and this season's side?
I think the 87 side was quite similar to the current side.... We had a great keeper, a dominant centre half at the back, but more than that one who formed a fantastic partnership with his fellow centre half, two attacking fullbacks, an excellent goalscorer up front and some fantatic ball playing midfielders. The team was also very well organised and had a specific way of playing. One thing that the 87 side had that this team hasn't (yet) got was a World class player. Glenn Hoddle was one of the best players in the World at that point IMO.

I think the 87 side was quite similar to the current side.... We had a great keeper, a dominant centre half at the back, but more than that one who formed a fantastic partnership with his fellow centre half, two attacking fullbacks, an excellent goalscorer up front and some fantatic ball playing midfielders. The team was also very well organised and had a specific way of playing. One thing that the 87 side had that this team hasn't (yet) got was a World class player. Glenn Hoddle was one of the best players in the World at that point IMO.

Thanks; i started supporting Spurs from about Jan/Dec in that year so only remeber the latter Hoddle/Waddle dazzle.
I assume the dominant centre half you refer to is Richard Gough? I remember how sad i felt when he left, but i realise now that we were a bit of a year long detour for him to go to Rangers. Ah well...

And how would you compare the 2011/12 side to both the 1987 and our current side?

Very tough vote this one. Both picked us up a difficult times (the second division, or at least on an inevitable course heading that way). Both undertook massive structural reforms to modernise the club. And both went on to have proper genuine success - Rowe 2 league titles (including one 1st div) and Burkinshaw 3 cups (including a UEFA). A both played football very much the Spurs way (Rowe invented the quick, short passing game through his 'push 'n' run' and Burkinshaw's Hoddle-Ardiles driven brilliance).

If there's one thing I can think to separate them (which has already been mentioned), it's legacy. Burkinshaw did leave the foundations for the Pleat side of the late 80s. However Rowe also developed two protégés who went on to eclipse even what he achieved, in Bill Nicholson and Alf Ramsey.

Mitchell Thomas would have to be one of the worst players to ever wear a Tottenham shirt. He was hopeless. I shudder to think of his many defensive fudge ups.

Very difficult this one, on one hand you have Rowe who started our rise to the top and who gave us the push and run era.

Burkinshawe of course took us too three trophys and 3 minutes away from a 4th and also a couple of seasons when we were in the running for the Lge but a pile up of games hit us ( especially the 81-82 season).

Because KB did all this when L'pool while dominating the game is why I have come down for KB over Rowe. ( hard decision though).

Back