• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - manager

Who was the second best Spurs manager of all time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know Bill Nick will win this but I'd opt for Arthur Rowe who laid the plans for the modern Spurs. Before him we were an average Second Division team and he transform the club with his push and run game and a style of play which flowed . From that team two great managers emerged Bill Nicholson and Alf Ramsey

I know Bill Nick will win this but I'd opt for Arthur Rowe who laid the plans for the modern Spurs. Before him we were an average Second Division team and he transform the club with his push and run game and a style of play which flowed . From that team two great managers emerged Bill Nicholson and Alf Ramsey
Top post.

Without Rowe there would have been no Spurs Double, for it was Bill Nicholson who took Rowe’s ideas and honed them to produce a side still described as the best English football team of the 20th century. And Nicholson knew, having fed on Rowe’s ideas, that it was Europe where the true test was – eventually leading that great side to the lift the first trophy won by a British team in Europe. It was Rowe too who first coined the slick, simple phrases Nicholson would drum into his Double winners – ‘Keep it simple, keep it quick”; a good player runs to the ball, a bad player runs after it”.

http://www.tottenhamblog.com/2013/09/09/martin-cloake-how-arthur-rowe-changed-spurs-forever/

The passage of time is something I think should be taken into account in all these votes. But this is even more pertinent when it comes to the managers
Can you compare the noughties with fifties when come to football? I think not.
The premier league has seen the biggest change in football in England, some would say for the worse, which I think is open to debate. But changed it has and I dont think pre and post Premier League are comparable in these matters.

So
<1970 Bill Nicholson
>1970 Keith Burkinshaw
>1992 Mauricio Pochettino

The part at 11.13 in this always tears me up.

Bill Nicholson has got the job. Who shall we have on the short list for his number two? Anyone to add to the following?

Arthur Rowe
Keith Burkinshaw

Bill Nicholson has got the job. Who shall we have on the short list for his number two? Anyone to add to the following?

Arthur Rowe
Keith Burkinshaw

I think those two are standout.

Venables was the only other post-war coach to win a major honour (Graham and Ramos if we include the LC). Pleat assembled a superb side, but only for a short period. Jol and Poch turned things around/gave us pride and integrity back, but didn't achieve outputs (yet)

Venables was the only other post-war coach to win a major honour (Graham and Ramos if we include the LC). Pleat assembled a superb side, but only for a short period. Jol and Poch turned things around/gave us pride and integrity back, but didn't achieve outputs (yet)

It feels a bit of a push including Venables, Pleat, Jol or Poch. I have fond memories of all of the first three and am loving what Poch is doing but if the bar is set at Rowe and Burkinshaw, the other four fall well short.

Um, how about the only manager to take us gloriously into the CL playing a style of attacking football that was the envy of the entire PL, Sir Alex included?

As I said earlier, I'd include Pleat, Jol, Redknapp and possibly Venables.

As for the ancients, I have no idea who managed the 1901 and 1921 FA Cup wins.

Edit:
1901 was John Cameron, who was also a player of note. 1921 was Peter McWilliam, who may have been our longest serving manager (1912-1927 and 1938-1942). Unlike some of the players we know little about, I see no reason why they have case.

Last edited:
OK.

Is there support for the short list for assistant manager being:

Rowe, Burkinshaw, Pleat, Jol, Redknapp and Venables.

Um, how about the only manager to take us gloriously into the CL playing a style of attacking football that was the envy of the entire PL, Sir Alex included?

Bill Nich has already been declared winner. He took us to the CL semi in 1962 and apparently we were robbed of winning it.

I know what (or who) you mean though. Redknapp only finished 4th, whereas Pleat and Venables got 3rd. Just English teams were banned from Europe in the following 1988 and 1991 seasons.

Last edited:
OK.

Is there support for the short list for assistant manager being:

Rowe, Burkinshaw, Pleat, Jol, Redknapp and Venables.

Poch over Redknapp because of bringing back the pride and integrity.

Pleat only managed us for 71 matches. Poch has already hit 90

What do others think? I would have a choice of two, so I'd like to hear someone make the case for Pleat, Jol, Venables, Redknapp or Poch.

I wouldn't include Poch, for the same reason I generally don't consider current players. Poch is just starting with us, there are lots of encouraging signs, but we haven't won anything or improved our league positioning. In years to come he could lead us to success in many competitions or he could be poached by a bigger club in the summer. There is no way of assessing him and comparing with managers whose record with us is complete. While obviously everyone is free to ignore him, I don't like the idea of him getting say a single vote when he could go on to be one of our best managers, as it would give the impression we don't appreciate him.

I think it was Jol who was most responsible for bringing back our pride. We had been pretty diabolical for several years prior to him arriving and completely changing the atmosphere at WHL. Redknapp then developed that further and turned us into the best team in the country to watch. Additionally he took us over when we were bottom of the table and transitioned that to finishes of 4th, 5th and 4th again in his 3 full seasons at the club. I think Pochettino has to get us at least 1 (and probably 2) top 4 finishes or win us a major trophy before we can start to rank him above Redknapp - no matter how much we all love Pochettino right now.

After AVB did his best to dismantle Redknapp's work and Sherwood came in for half a season and made us entertaining to watch again, I think Pochettino has come in added organisation, desire and also a clear gameplan. He has a chance to become a Tottenham great. He just needs time, support from the boardroom and loyalty from himself to stay at the club.

I hope that we are revisiting this in 10 years time and talking about Pochettino usurping Sir Bill as being our greatest ever manager, but for now he shouldn't even be on the list.

Back