• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - centre forward

Who was the second best centre forward to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jimmy Greaves, Big Chiv, and Teddy. But Jimmy wins without a shadow of a doubt. If he were a player today, we'd be rating him at or above Messi. I have been lucky enough to meet the guy and he was a real gentleman. A player that you can be rightly proud of.

Greaves is untouchable for us.
If Kane is still here in 7 years time or so and we've actually achieved something as a club during that period I think he could get really close or even overtake him... Kane is 22, 'one of our own', and already on 50 goals for our club. If there is someone who could put this untouchable status to the test it will be Kane. Whether he will get to the amount of goals scored is a very big ask though... Right now Greaves definately wins it for me though. We've had some wonderful strikers, but Greaves was definately ahead of them. His record speaks for itself, some of our strikers were excellent ability wise as well, but they didn't stay long enough to really challenge Greaves imo.

not in this company

maybe one day

Funny that. He has played more games and scored more goals than the "Legend" Jurgen Klinnsmann but not worthy of the list.

Not that I am advocating that. Just that I think Klinnsman buggered off and is not worthy or being anywhere near our greatest X1.

Up until now I've only been voting for players I've personally seen play. I know this is an "All time" best, but I simply don't have anything beyond stats and stories to judge the older players by... and both can be misleading. I can only judge what I've seen.

In this case though, that approach is obviously irrelevant. Jimmy Greaves is the only sensible option.

Defoe should be on the shortlist - whatever you think of him he is on our top goalscorers list and has served the club well over a number of years. Obviously there's only one winner but Defoe has earned the right to be in the conversation - even if just a token gesture

Jimmy Greaves, Big Chiv, and Teddy. But Jimmy wins without a shadow of a doubt. If he were a player today, we'd be rating him at or above Messi. I have been lucky enough to meet the guy and he was a real gentleman. A player that you can be rightly proud of.

I agree that Teddy should make the shortlist

'SIR' VIVIAN - A SPURS GREAT

Such was the respect Vivian Woodward inspired, that even the match officials would address him as ‘Sir.’

He was a leader in every way, revered by his team mates and a man of true class in all aspects of his life, particularly his football.

Indeed, he was the game’s pin-up boy in the early 1900s and doing things in the ‘correct’ manner was always so important to him. That included remaining an amateur throughout a footballing career that soared to the highest levels.

By all reports, he was an extremely skilful player, almost elegant in his application, utilising brain rather than brawn in an era when power and muscle were the overwhelming weapons generally applied by his fellows. He also played cricket and tennis to a good standard and, as a youngster, had represented Essex in football and cricket, going on to play for the county side’s second XI.

When we finally reached Division Two in 1908, Woodward scored our first goal in the Football League and was our leading goalscorer with 18 as we won promotion to the First Division at the first attempt.

Vivian’s historic goal came against FA Cup holders Wolverhampton Wanderers at White Hart Lane in our opening game of the 1908-09 season. The game was played on a Tuesday with a 5pm kick-off but still pulled in an estimated 20,000 crowd - with Woodward a doubt right up until the last minute as it was still the cricket season! Maybe the fact that wind and rain swept across North London enabled or even encouraged him to switch his flannels for shorts!

Woodward was not just an England international but had also been appointed to the Spurs ‘Board of Directors'!

The England man would have played more games for Spurs than the 197 (100 goals) he managed in all competitions but was in such great demand to play in exhibition games and on tours that he was often unavailable. He also had work commitments although still managed to twice play for the Football League and won many other representative honours.

Yet he opted to retire from the top level in 1909 - and so missed the opportunity to play for us in the top flight - but was presented with a medal by his Tottenham team mates in recognition of the key role he played as we finished runners-up that season.

Woodward initially spent his days back playing for Chelmsford. But by November that year he was back - but this time with Chelsea. He was also appointed a Director at the Stamford Bridge club

Before Woodward left for France, Spurs played Chelsea in what had become a traditional pre-season cricket match at Fulham Cricket Ground. The start was delayed due to inclement weather but once underway Vivian hammered our bowlers to every corner of the ground, bringing up his century with a glorious six that bounced off the pavilion roof.

He went on to hit 110 not out as Chelsea closed on 173 before our lads were bowled out for 90.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/vivian-woodward-feature-080915/

Some excerpts from the remarkable story of Vivian Woodward, arguably one of the greatest footballers England has ever produced.

The only striker to come close to Jimmy Greaves is Andy Booth. It's a toss up between the two.

Can't have Keane in it without Defoe - pretty much exactly the same ratio but Defoe was here longer and scored more.

Keane was always first choice for every single manager who had them together. Much more of a cerebral player and a fans' favourite. A Hoddle to Defoe's Hazard.

IIRC Defoe's stats are boosted by quite a lot of 'second class' games, i.e. when say he and Mido were the league cup line-up, while Kane and Berabtov were the A-team for the big matches.

IMO Keane stands alongside King as our outstanding player of the 00s

There can be only one....

Jimmy Greaves. Head and shoulders the best centre forward Spurs (and England) have ever had and probably one of the best 3 or 4 centre forwards the World has ever seen. He did all of the things that Thierry Henry could do... but he was able to do them on terrible pitches. A fantastic dribbler of the ball and the best finisher the World has ever seen*

* all info courtesy of my Dad (who knows his football to be fair!)

Keane was always first choice for every single manager who had them together. Much more of a cerebral player and a fans' favourite. A Hoddle to Defoe's Hazard.

IIRC Defoe's stats are boosted by quite a lot of 'second class' games, i.e. when say he and Mido were the league cup line-up, while Kane and Berabtov were the A-team for the big matches.
Defoe was a seriously under rated player for us. That being said so was Robbie Keane I think.

I agree that Teddy should make the shortlist

I don't really like the concept of giving players a shot in a secondary position when they didn't get into their primary one. Sheringham already lost out at #10.

If Sheringham comes in, then what about Gilzean too? Etc.

Defoe was a seriously under rated player for us. That being said so was Robbie Keane I think.

I think Defoe was massively overrated. He had his little feet (why he could strike the ball so cleanly) and a burst of acceleration. But his 'shift n shoot' was a one trick pony. His lack of intelligence and intelligent movement always hindered him

Keane was a superb player, although I think he struggled later on outside a 4-4-2 because, though intelligent, he wasn't really as suited to the #10 role in the way say vdV was.

Back