• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Annual Tottenham Hotspur Striker Search: January 2015 Edition

What, so he would come in and wouldn't need time to gel and bed in and adapt to what Poch wants and his system and style of play? Count me in!;)

Huntelaar, Paco Alcacer, Cardozo, maybe Higuain. Probably could think of a few more if I give it a bit more thought.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

What, so he would come in and wouldn't need time to gel and bed in and adapt to what Poch wants and his system and style of play? Count me in!;)

Perhaps their could be adaptation issues or perhaps not. Quality players have, it could be argued, adaptability as one of their key strengths. I am not saying that the names I am about to mention are the answer (and the 2nd name most definitely isn't); however someone like Huntelaar or Berbatov have proven during January transfer window switches before that they can adapt, so it's that kind of proven quality that might work.

Going up a notch further Higuain is another who's quality is such that he could potentially come in and do a job as could an old favourite like Mario Gomez who again would cost the earth and demand high wages; however major upgrade on what we have but not in the top top bracket like a Suarez or Aguero.

To your point I think people like Alcocer and Firmino from Hoffenheim and some of the other less proven options are probably more unpredictable and a bigger risk.

Perhaps their could be adaptation issues or perhaps not. Quality players have, it could be argued, adaptability as one of their key strengths. I am not saying that the names I am about to mention are the answer (and the 2nd name most definitely isn't); however someone like Huntelaar or Berbatov have proven during January transfer window switches before that they can adapt, so it's that kind of proven quality that might work.

Going up a notch further Higuain is another who's quality is such that he could potentially come in and do a job as could an old favourite like Mario Gomez who again would cost the earth and demand high wages; however major upgrade on what we have but not in the top top bracket like a Suarez or Aguero.

To your point I think people like Alcocer and Firmino from Hoffenheim and some of the other less proven options are probably more unpredictable and a bigger risk.

I'm not sure that Higuain would be successful in the system that Poch is playing. It seems to require a CF who is adept at holding the ball up (I guess why Lambert was a good fit for him at Southampton. I don't really have any knowledge of the two boys at Hoffenheim, but am generally always supportive of signing promising players from the Bundesliga.

The player that I always really liked from that league was Ibisevic, I know that he became a little less prolific after his serious knee injury and I know that he is now just the wrong side of 30 but I think he is a player that is adept in playing in the lone CF type role and I would imagine he could be prised from Stuttgart for a reasonable fee.

I also liked the player who was up front for Switzerland in their recent game against England (sorry can't remember his name). Granted he missed a few chances, but I liked the way he led the line and the way that he found goalscoring positions against decent standard players.

I'm not sure that Higuain would be successful in the system that Poch is playing. It seems to require a CF who is adept at holding the ball up (I guess why Lambert was a good fit for him at Southampton. I don't really have any knowledge of the two boys at Hoffenheim, but am generally always supportive of signing promising players from the Bundesliga.

The player that I always really liked from that league was Ibisevic, I know that he became a little less prolific after his serious knee injury and I know that he is now just the wrong side of 30 but I think he is a player that is adept in playing in the lone CF type role and I would imagine he could be prised from Stuttgart for a reasonable fee.

I also liked the player who was up front for Switzerland in their recent game against England (sorry can't remember his name). Granted he missed a few chances, but I liked the way he led the line and the way that he found goalscoring positions against decent standard players.

Not sure I agree on Higuain... He operated as the lone striker at Madrid when Van Nistelroy got injured in 2010 I think it was and got over 20 goals with Madrid playing a similar style to the Poch style that we are now employing. He also alternated with Benzema under Mourinho and again played up top in a 4-2-3-1 with Di Maria, Ozil and Ronaldo behind. Again in his first season with Mou he scored over 20 goles if I am not mistaken.

The issue with him is a back injury he suffered in 2011 and a view that as a result he lost a little bit of the sparkle and that yard of pace, which for those strikers small in stature can make a big difference. In terms of skill, ability, strength and scoring capability however, and even with a dodgy back, IMHO he is a major upgrade on any of our current options and could immediately slip into a lone striker role.

Someone also mentioned Callejon earlier who was Mourinho's version of Javier Hernandez while at Madrid. My issue with Callejon is that he performed much better off the bench and replacing a Di Maria or Ozil then he did starting as the alternative to Benzema or Higuain, so I would have more reservations about him. The other big plus in Higuain's favour is the fact he is Argentinian and with Poch, Fazio and Lamella that has got to help. Pipe dream I fear, but one has got to keep hoping!!!

Not sure I agree on Higuain... He operated as the lone striker at Madrid when Van Nistelroy got injured in 2010 I think it was and got over 20 goals with Madrid playing a similar style to the Poch style that we are now employing. He also alternated with Benzema under Mourinho and again played up top in a 4-2-3-1 with Di Maria, Ozil and Ronaldo behind. Again in his first season with Mou he scored over 20 goles if I am not mistaken.

The issue with him is a back injury he suffered in 2011 and a view that as a result he lost a little bit of the sparkle and that yard of pace, which for those strikers small in stature can make a big difference. In terms of skill, ability, strength and scoring capability however, and even with a dodgy back, IMHO he is a major upgrade on any of our current options and could immediately slip into a lone striker role.

Someone also mentioned Callejon earlier who was Mourinho's version of Javier Hernandez while at Madrid. My issue with Callejon is that he performed much better off the bench and replacing a Di Maria or Ozil then he did starting as the alternative to Benzema or Higuain, so I would have more reservations about him. The other big plus in Higuain's favour is the fact he is Argentinian and with Poch, Fazio and Lamella that has got to help. Pipe dream I fear, but one has got to keep hoping!!!

The problem is that playing lone striker in a 4-2-3-1 for Madrid is very different to playing the same role for Spurs......
At Spurs you are having to compete physically for the ball (often with extremely big/strong centre halves). You are also often having to feed off of scraps and lucky to have more than 1 goalscoring chance created for you in a single game. At Madrid you have a dazzling array of attacking talent around you/behind you with a commensurate number of chances created. You are also typically up against a team who's sole aim is to avoid getting spanked, this enables you to spend more time in and around the opposition's penalty box where a player like Higuain is able to do his business.

For me Higuain is a similar type to Soldado - there was another player who could play in the same system in Spain but looks far less physically capable when doing the same here.

I fear that Higuain would be a similar expensive waste of money to Soldado if brought to Spurs.

Considering that Pochetinno clearly favours Adebayor as his first choice striker - surely we need to be looking at a player with similar attributes to Ade but who is more accomplished?...

j rod is all we need. even better if he and chadli are doing the same thing - they can switchover seamlessly and do what poch wants.

i am not convinced that ade or kaboul are at the top of poch's list as long term first choice team members.

it looks like to me he put out two equally strong teams for cups and league, and believe that he will consolidate at the right time ( when europa/cup runs end).

and getting the best out of the players is what we need now so that we can get better prices for them, so titles like vice captains etc are cheap. i believe there's going to be a big cull soon, and players with specific skillset/roles drafted in.

Sell Paulinho, Vlad and Lennon, chuck £10-15m more into the kitty and do what this club has not done for 5 years, e.g invest in an all round top level number 9.

No Lukaku types, no poacher types a la Soldado/Defoe, no 'almost' top level 9's like Ade, for once pay £25-30m on a top level player and round out the team.

Why? Because if you look at the rivals for 4th their may never be a better time... Man U major work in progress, Rodgers doing an AVB, and Arsenal majorly underperforming. With Chadli looking like he could get to double figures all we need is someone who could get to 15 goles in 5 months and also get Lamella and Erickson chipping in, we might do it. Levy show ambition and "dare" a little please....!

we arnt in the year 2010 anymore, 25-30 million wont get you anyone that's a "top level" player at a much higher level than Ade.If you had said 40-50 then yes, but we cant afford those amounts.

I think I would be in favour of selling one of Adebayor/Soldado and bringing in two fresh forwards in January tbh. I would probably lean towards selling Soldado just because I have a feeling that here just isn't for him which is a shame because in the right system and the right environment I think he is a top forward. Cardozo would be a great signing imo, good value and someone who will battle and make the 1 up top more successful than Adebayor/Soldado but he has only just joined Trabzonspor.

I think I would probably still try to get Bony and maybe try to snare Mitrovic from Anderlecht as well.

can't see anything happening in January, bar a stop gap signing till the summer, so wouldn't get your hopes up!

can't see anything happening in January, bar a stop gap signing till the summer, so wouldn't get your hopes up!

i think its highly possible for j rod to arrive since we've left a hole there, and poch seems intent to prove that we need a player of a different jib. he is a nearly one-goal-in-two-games striker last year for soton iirc, something we really need to launch a real assault up the table. moreover they have that young promise coming through.

can't see us going for schneiderlin anymore since stambouli's arrival, capoue and mason's rise to prominence, and how we snuffed him out in the last game.

Daily Mirror: Inter Milan are hoping to sign Spurs striker Roberto Soldado in January, and Schalke frontman Klaas-Jan Huntelaar could replace him for just £3m.

Daily Express: Inter Milan want to sign out-of-favour Tottenham striker Roberto Soldado - but would not be able to match his reported £60,000-a-week wages.

Daily Mirror: Inter Milan are hoping to sign Spurs striker Roberto Soldado in January, and Schalke frontman Klaas-Jan Huntelaar could replace him for just £3m.

Daily Express: Inter Milan want to sign out-of-favour Tottenham striker Roberto Soldado - but would not be able to match his reported £60,000-a-week wages.

Would be happy with that.

Would definitely be keen to go in for Rodriguez. Hopefully his contract situation would work in our favour.
Still want Bony but don't think it's likely, especially in January.

There are only a handful of strikers/forwards in the world that would be a guarantee of a lot of goals; Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez, Müller, Zlatan ++ and we all know that ain't gonna happen. Who ever other than those is gonna be a bit of a gamble. It might work and it might not. But at least we should have a go at someone in january, because what we have today is not good enough.

Well age for one thing, he must be in his 30s by now. That with a pretty high salary I don't think would fit we our club structure. Also it would put Harry further down the pecking list because I don't see us paying someone good wages to sit on the bench . I don't doubt he's for sale or his talent just don't think he would suit our profile as a club.

Back