• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

I haven't really seen Afobe labelled lazy either to be fair, BTW I wasn't making comparisons to Austin or saying we should or should not sign Austin, just using Afobe as an example of good players in poor sides....

I haven't really seen Afobe labelled lazy either to be fair, BTW I wasn't making comparisons to Austin or saying we should or should not sign Austin, just using Afobe as an example of good players in poor sides....
Fair enough.... Like Berahino for West Brom last season perhaps?!? ;)

I haven't seen enough of Afobe to be able to determine his work rate on the pitch, I just remember somebody on here saying that his manager had commented on it when I suggested him as a potential striker from the lower leagues a while back.

Would love Shane Long. Great as a sub for pace on the break. Will work his arse off pressing. Can playing out wide if needed too.
Would Southampton sell?
They aid £12M for him nd would rip your hands off if you offerd that. I used to like him but he is a striker who doesn't score goals.

Fair enough.... Like Berahino for West Brom last season perhaps?!? ;)

I haven't seen enough of Afobe to be able to determine his work rate on the pitch, I just remember somebody on here saying that his manager had commented on it when I suggested him as a potential striker from the lower leagues a while back.

I saw the FL show in December where Kenny J said he was great and his attitude was first class

Stoke looked like .......well Stoke! against Liverpool

Was not impressed by Bojan his legs are gone
Arnautovic was better along with Shaqiri, but they looked shattered in the 'first' half

Re: the striker search

I know it is isnt easy to find the right match, but the Club has surely realised Kane needs a decent back-up since the start of the season. They dont start looking only on Jan 1st.
We have had 4 months to be scouting, putting the feelers out, but alas we look no nearer bringing in anyone, so no doubt HK will playing another 3 matches in the next 10 days or so. The longer we leave ourselves in this sitaution, the stronger the possibility of Kane getting injured.

I really thought it sounded like we might move early for once in this window, especially with the FA Cup match this weekend, alas no, and you get the feeling if we do make a signing at all it will another final afternoon job

Re: the striker search

I know it is isnt easy to find the right match, but the Club has surely realised Kane needs a decent back-up since the start of the season. They dont start looking only on Jan 1st.
We have had 4 months to be scouting, putting the feelers out, but alas we look no nearer bringing in anyone, so no doubt HK will playing another 3 matches in the next 10 days or so. The longer we leave ourselves in this sitaution, the stronger the possibility of Kane getting injured.

I really thought it sounded like we might move early for once in this window, especially with the FA Cup match this weekend, alas no, and you get the feeling if we do make a signing at all it will another final afternoon job

I stumbled across this blog by a sports lawyer last week and have mentioned it once before. He had a collection of posts on the transfer window that are worth reading and covered this point in one of his posts:

Why do some deals take until the last day of the transfer window to complete?

Transfers can become a game of bluff and double bluff. One transfer can set off a chain reaction. By way of very basic example, if “Club A” has a choice of two players and is negotiating hard to get the best deal, such a negotiation and transfer may take until the last few days of the window. Once the club goes ahead with the deal, the agent of the player that Club A decided against buying may have been negotiating with several other clubs and one of those clubs may now try to complete the transfer.

If Club A’s transfer is going through, another player in Club A’s squad may not play as much and may be told to find a new club in the closing days of the window. The transfer positions of various clubs if a club buys or does not buy, waits and negotiates on a particular deal or pulls out of a transfer, can all have knock-on consequences for other directly or indirectly linked transfers.

The arrival of transfer deadline day focuses minds.I can understand how it may seem strange that clubs leave major investment decisions to the very last minute – and sometimes that is the case. It should be stressed, however, that even transfers done on deadline day may have been the culmination of weeks or even months of planning even though, to the outside world, such a deal may appear to be a “panic buy”.
http://www.danielgeey.com/the-transfer-window-what-you-need-to-know/

I doubt we will leave it until the final day (When was the last time we signed someone on deadline day?) I hope we sign a striker within the next week.

I doubt we will leave it until the final day (When was the last time we signed someone on deadline day?) I hope we sign a striker within the next week.

We signed Alli on 2 February (deadline day) last year

I think if there's an early one it will be Ramirez, as the selling club are keen on that one.

Wasn't it Tevez and Cahill?.... with the fees about 20 million lower than that? Had we actually got then it's quite possible that we would've won the league.

Yeah Cahill who Chelsea were after and Tevez from our then title rivals - I think Samba was also a target but he got a silly money contract in Russia iirc

Yeah Cahill who Chelsea were after and Tevez from our then title rivals - I think Samba was also a target but he got a silly money contract in Russia iirc
Although difficult/expensive Tevez was perhaps doable due to him having that big fall-out with Mancini.

Cahill would've been possible but for Chelsea coming in for him. IIRC we did actually bid for Cahill only to be gazumped by Chelsea. I actually thought that Saha and Nelsen were reasonable, experienced back up players costing very little and worth bringing in on that last day of the window when we hadn't managed to do anything else.

Back