• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

Mario Gomez and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar both have more goals and bigger reputations, but Robert Lewandowski showed against Bayern Munich on Wednesday - and will likely show at Euro 2012 - that he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Europe's best strikers.

Few outside of Poland had heard of Lewandowski when he joined Dortmund from Lech Poznan for what looks now like a ridiculously cheap 4.5m euros in 2010. It comes second only as a bargain to the laughable 350,000 euros Dortmund paid for Shinji Kagawa, and while the Japan international has already attracted Europe-wide interest from some of the continent's biggest fish, it won't be long before Lewandowski is on the wanted lists of quality purveyors of coaching everywhere, if he isn't already.

"Pace, two-footedness, a strong header of the ball, and exceptional technique," are the qualities Juergen Klopp has highlighted in his leading goalscorer, and were it not for Gomez's four penalties this season and Huntelaar's six, Lewandowski would be even closer to picking up the Bundesliga's top scorer crown. His polished display against Bayern was in stark contrast to the anonymous performance of Gomez, and shows why the Pole should be considered alongside - if not above - the likes of the top-flight's current leading scorer as he brings so much to Dortmund's game.

GOALS: Lewandowski clearly knows where the goal is. Already top scorer in the Polish top flight in helping Lech to the title in 2010, eight goals in 15 starts last season was a reasonable return, but 20 in 30 this season is remarkable. The first Dortmund player to reach the 20-goal mark in a Bundesliga season since Stephane Chapuisat in 1991-92, Lewandowski scored and struck the woodwork twice in just four shots against Bayern, while his goals this season have come from 52 strikes on goal - Gomez's, by comparison, from 47, Huntelaar's 48.

MOVEMENT AND TOUCH: Gomez has certainly worked hard on this aspect of his game this season, drawing praise from Jupp Heynckes for doing so, but Lewandowski still remains superior in this regard and the equal of Huntelaar. His touch is often wonderfully assured, while his intelligent movement allows Kagawa, Kuba et al to look good when their through balls find him. "I was in the right place," was Lewandowski's humble appraisal of his improvised flick beyond Manuel Neuer, though it's safe to say that it is unlikely Gomez, for one, would have been able to score such a goal. Eight assists - the same as Huntelaar, and far in advance of Gomez's three - point to a selfless streak that dovetails perfectly with J??rgen Klopp's 4-2-3-1 formation, which needs a lone striker who can hold the ball up and bring in the attacking midfielders behind him, something Lewandowski does better than Lucas Barrios, who got six assists with his 16 goals last season. Klopp's decision to play Lewandowski as a second striker last season, and not to use Barrios in that role, speaks volumes.
INDUSTRY: More than the backheels to tee-up shooting opportunities for others, and the lay-offs to team-mates to retain possession, Lewandowski works incredibly hard for the team. Even in stoppage time against Bayern, the Pole was chasing back to dispossess Arjen Robben, epitomising the bust-a-gut spirit that has taken Dortmund to one - and almost two - Bundesliga titles.

Robert Lewandowski in action for PolandHis exploits are all the more remarkable given that this is only Lewandowski's second season in the Bundesliga, and that he would not have even been first-choice for Klopp but for Barrios's injury at last summer's Copa America. Aged just 23, Lewandowski is three years Gomez's junior and five years younger than Huntelaar, and so still has a lot of time to improve. It will be interesting, however, to see how he handles the greater expectation that will no doubt be piled on to him ahead of next season.

A further worry for Klopp and Dortmund fans is that Lewandowski has not yet been tied down to a contract beyond his current deal through to 2014. "We're disappointed by the offer," foolhardily announced Cezary Kucharski, Lewandowski's agent, on Polish TV recently after Dortmund had proposed an improved deal. Kucharski received a swift public reprimand from the club for making his dissatisfaction public. His client merely declared: "I don't know anything about an offer or the figures involvedall I'm interested in for the moment is the Bundesliga and EURO 2012." Bayern are already counting the cost of that single-mindedness; some of the continent's footballing heavyweights may be doing likewise come June.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/the-ballacks/rise-rise-robert-lewandowski-104434238.html

So we can draw number of (hypothetical) conslusions from this

Gomez is far more clinical and can feed off far less.

The Pole likes to knock the ball around which has zero relation to his qualities as a striker / goal-scorer

Bayern's midfield were on the back-foot and struggled to keep possession / feed their striker
The Pole came back to help his midfield due to their inability to cope with the pressure

Bayern played a counter-attacking formation

etc.

You are suggesting that Dortmund's midfield was under pressure and then in the same sentence suggesting that Munich's midfield was on the back-foot? Which is it? Did you see the game?

Playing as one man up front on his own is a lot more than being a goalscorer. Mario Gomez offers nothing other than putting the ball in the net. He would flop in England in my opinion. Bayern play a very specific style which enables him to be just a goalscorer.

I have seen less of Hunterlaar so will bow to other's opinions on him.

Mate, that is a blog written by a 'biased' fans who obvsiouly (naturally) feed an agenda of sorts

Good read though, cheers for posting

You are suggesting that Dortmund's midfield was under pressure and then in the same sentence suggesting that Munich's midfield was on the back-foot? Which is it? Did you see the game?

Playing as one man up front on his own is a lot more than being a goalscorer. Mario Gomez offers nothing other than putting the ball in the net. He would flop in England in my opinion. Bayern play a very specific style which enables him to be just a goalscorer.

I have seen less of Hunterlaar so will bow to other's opinions on him.

I said these are hypothetical conlusions which can be drawn from your diagram

Gomez also receives far more efficent service so needs to move less - another possible conclusion.

There is no way you can conclusively state yellow-man is superior to red-man based on those stats - it doesn't account for any variables

We've been missing a pure goal-scorer for 2 decadeds now and currently create chances aplenty so I know who gets my vote on this one.

Mate, that is a blog written by a 'biased' fans who obvsiouly (naturally) feed an agenda of sorts

Good read though, cheers for posting

It's written by a Daily Mail contributor/reporter IIRC.

For what it's worth I was banging on about Lewandowski last season but he didn't start much in their surge to the title. This season he has started and played a big part in their (presumed) title success.

I said these are hypothetical conlusions which can be drawn from your diagram

Gomez also receives far more efficent service so needs to move less - another possible conclusion.

There is no way you can conclusively state yellow-man is superior to red-man based on those stats - it doesn't account for any variables

We've been missing a pure goal-scorer for 2 decadeds now and currently create chances aplenty so I know who gets my vote on this one.

Apologies only read spotted "hypothetical" the second time I read your post.

I'm not suggesting he's better than Gomez based on that diagram alone. However it does infer his movement is better in this instance?
I have watched Gomez many times and I am not convinced that he is a good footballer at all and certainly not the "answer" at Spurs. I've no doubt Munich would upgrade if the opportunity arose.

It's written by a Daily Mail contributor/reporter IIRC.

For what it's worth I was banging on about Lewandowski last season but he didn't start much in their surge to the title. This season he has started and played a big part in their (presumed) title success.

No, it's written by one of the Bundesliga following chaps - look at the author

Apologies only read spotted "hypothetical" the second time I read your post.

I'm not suggesting he's better than Gomez based on that diagram alone. However it does infer his movement is better in this instance?
I have watched Gomez many times and I am not convinced that he is a good footballer at all and certainly not the "answer" at Spurs. I've no doubt Munich would upgrade if the opportunity arose.

Not really though - it can imply he likes to look for the ball more or has to drop deeper / run more to get it from inferior midfield or they play possession football.

Gomez is a good finisher and to be quite honest - his record is respectable at any level, 40 goals is no east feat. Why do you think he'd flop in England? He's not exactly a midget. This is heading towards another Bent argument, lol

Not really though - it can imply he likes to look for the ball more or has to drop deeper / run more to get it from inferior midfield or they play possession football.

Gomez is a good finisher and to be quite honest - his record is respectable at any level, 40 goals is no east feat. Why do you think he'd flop in England? He's not exactly a midget. This is heading towards another Bent argument, lol

Gomez is a great finisher and has one of the best positional senses around. I think he would be a qualified success, not as good as Berbatov but better than say Dzeko (or, say, a Morientes).

It probably is heading towards a Bent argument (and yes, I don't rate Darren Bent at all) ;)

Other than goalscoring, which I concede, is a considerable skill, I think Gomez offers nothing to team play and it is effectively the equivalent of playing with 10 men. Bayern play a slow build-up possession-based game where Gomez is only required in and around the box. He does not need to offer an outlet or hold-up play. Could he play that role at Spurs? No, you only have to look at the contribution required from Adebayor to see what is required from a striker at Spurs.

Back