• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Thanks Tim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is pretty much bang-on, other than to add that it wasn't a 'demand' more than a discussion where Levy asked why that wasn't happening and why he wouldn't try Ade, and that the two had been at odds for some time, stretching back to the previous season, and that the pressure had been ratcheting up for some time. I did say back when it happened it was not necessarily a case of Levy just ****-canning him, and that AVB wanted out just as much at that time. I still feel it was all a really, really unfortunate series of events, compounded by Levy's inability to give AVB who HE wanted as opposed to what the club/Baldini/committee deemed accessible. Pochettino represents another crack at the same model, albeit with a more attacking style...

What im not sure about is why wasnt this identified at interview stage? How the hell does Levy interview if Management styles and their style on the pitch is not discussed? Was Levy so blinded by his presentation that he forgot what he actually wanted? Poor perofrmances etc is one thing but this was to do with what AVB was like as a Manager and in terms of his tactics and philosophy etc.

What im not sure about is why wasnt this identified at interview stage? How the hell does Levy interview if Management styles and their style on the pitch is not discussed? Was Levy so blinded by his presentation that he forgot what he actually wanted? Poor perofrmances etc is one thing but this was to do with what AVB was like as a Manager and in terms of his tactics and philosophy etc.

At least some accounts have suggested that AVB was fully on board with the club's transfer policy at interview but started asking for players outside of this once he was appointed. This was meant to be the cause of disagreements between the two pretty much from the off and why we were willing to let him talk to PSG last summer.

One thing we do know is that AVB was meant to have given an excellent interview and this put him straight to the front of the pack of candidates. We should also remember that Levy did not interview him alone, so it was a group decision.

I should add that I think that most manager's revert to a comfort zone when under pressure and with AVB this was muscular midfielders.

I should add that I think that most manager's revert to a comfort zone when under pressure and with AVB this was muscular midfielders.

To be honest Milo I personally don't see it as much as an under pressure decision but an inablity to know what to do once Bale had left. I do agree that most managers have a certain comfort zone but AVB wasn't under any pressure before deciding that this was the route he would walk down. Once that didn't work he created pressure for himself and didn't seem to have any answer. There was no change in playing style, perhaps down to the comfort zone you mentioned, and even when it was clear as day that it was failing he stubbornly changed nothing.

How on earth we were in a top 6 position when he left I'll never understand. We would win on possesion hands down whilst not creating anywhere near enough chances, or goals or any play to make us look like a top half team.

At least some accounts have suggested that AVB was fully on board with the club's transfer policy at interview but started asking for players outside of this once he was appointed. This was meant to be the cause of disagreements between the two pretty much from the off and why we were willing to let him talk to PSG last summer.

One thing we do know is that AVB was meant to have given an excellent interview and this put him straight to the front of the pack of candidates. We should also remember that Levy did not interview him alone, so it was a group decision.

AVB changed his mind or rather changed his tune thinking that he could persuade others when he got his foot through the door. I concur and im sure it wasnt just Levy who would have agreed although he would be held accountable thats what I was getting at.

How on earth we were in a top 6 position when he left I'll never understand. We would win on possesion hands down whilst not creating anywhere near enough chances, or goals or any play to make us look like a top half team.

I thought we were 7th when we binned the charlatan?

That interview seemed to say a lot about the attitudes of players at our club and the team spirit ( or lack of ).

It will be interesting to see who the new manager chops - and it may not just be based on footballing ability.

Sherwood is out of touch on Bale though - $$$$$ wouldn't have kept Bale. He wanted to move to one of the greatest clubs in the world (which is fair enough) and we got a world record fee for that.

we're forever ****ed if Levy thinks he can suggest how many forwards the manager should be playing

Baldini was meant to be at the meeting too and also had concerns about our approach to games.

I think that it is well within a chairman and DoF's remit to ask the manager of a goal shy team why he isn't using the club's highest paid player and how he plans to improve performances.

To be honest Milo I personally don't see it as much as an under pressure decision but an inablity to know what to do once Bale had left. I do agree that most managers have a certain comfort zone but AVB wasn't under any pressure before deciding that this was the route he would walk down. Once that didn't work he created pressure for himself and didn't seem to have any answer. There was no change in playing style, perhaps down to the comfort zone you mentioned, and even when it was clear as day that it was failing he stubbornly changed nothing.

We're taking this thread off topic but I think that the plan was to keep it tight in the first half of the season and open up in the second once the new signings had settled but this went to pot once clubs realised how easy we were to hit on the break.

TS seemed to suggest that after the Chelsea capitulation he stopped playing a few (injured or not) who weren't playing for the shirt or didn't care.

So looking at the line-up: Walker? Dawson (injured)?

I would include Sandro and Bentaleb but they played a few games after that.

So was he talking about Walker and Dawson?

Or is he just ad-libing/fibbing?

TS seemed to suggest that after the Chelsea capitulation he stopped playing a few (injured or not) who weren't playing for the shirt or didn't care.

So looking at the line-up: Walker? Dawson (injured)?

I would include Sandro and Bentaleb but they played a few games after that.

So was he talking about Walker and Dawson?

Or is he just ad-libing/fibbing?

Out of all the players we have I never would have thought that Dawson would fall under that classification tbh.

Always has seem willing to put body on the line for Spurs and always strikes me as caring for being Spurs more importantly

Out of all the players we have I never would have thought that Dawson would fall under that classification tbh.

Always has seem willing to put body on the line for Spurs and always strikes me as caring for being Spurs more importantly

I agree, but in that game mistakes = capitulation = 'not caring for the shirt'

If there's a player that regularly makes mistakes it's Dawson so you start to wonder if he was one of those being referred to.

Or if he was in fact talking bull

A superb question, and I can tell you that some people were aghast that he could've gone with his heart so much. I think you've hit the tickle my balls with a feather. There was certainly some disappointment that, shall we say, the 'due diligence' hadn't perhaps been done properly with regards to how AVB might react under certain circumstances. But it's a point which has to resonate right now, because this is the summer we will find out if he has learned from all that.

All pretty right on mate, but I will say that there is an account (or two) which says that DL was advised to seriously reconsider but was sold (in fairness, he'd been onto AVB before chelski ever were)…

I must say too, it is really really unfortunate the whole Sherwood thing. Levy gave him a chance, he had placed himself as being worthy (and able) for a chance, and as I've said all along, up until even Liverpool away DL was still 50/50 on what to do. Sherwood simply lost himself, through inexperience I suspect (and perhaps poor advice)…he wasn't good enough in the end (for me) but again DL looks like the total enemy whereas there's a bit more to it. The main thing in ALL these situations is you never hear DL speak out or **** on anyone, thus it's easy for things to look one-sided.

One thing Levy actually deserves praise for IMO (not that he will get it) is in sticking with Baldini/the DoF system, despite the two of them not always being on the same page. it reaffirms his commitment to this system/methodology, and is a consistency which a squad can work with. One thing I am interested to see is how heavy the Joe Lewis factor becomes. As I've mentioned before, he absolutely wants that stadium built by 2017/18, and I suspect he is much more engaged in what's going on than he ever has been at the football level...

No, luckily we got in somebody semi capable after about half a season to allow us to get up to 69 points and 6th place. The charlatan was on his way to leading us to miss Europe for the first time in several years.

:ross: I'd say charlatan is a pretty good description of a ****e pundit made redundant by a ****e tv station playing at being a manager.

No, luckily we got in somebody semi capable after about half a season to allow us to get up to 69 points and 6th place. The charlatan was on his way to leading us to miss Europe for the first time in several years.

Yeah the same 'Charlatan' who was so good at fooling people he got us our record PL points total

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back