• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Thanks Tim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was also refreshing considering AVB was like a robot his last few months here. No invention or personality and of course 3 holding midfielders

Excellent Goals on Sunday episode today with Tim and Les.

I thought Sherwood came across really well. Completely refused to **** off Levy (in fact did the exact opposite) despite the presenters fishing for him to do that. Same for Baldini, Sherwood explained that Baldini gets the players, but all players brought in are sanctioned by the manager. He said that they might not be first choice or sometimes even second choice, but that is normal and you can't always get all of your first choice players.

Sherwood also spoke sensibly about the 'gap' in bringing through youth players and how it's too easy for managers of the first team to say they are not good enough and ask for funds to sign a player and then who is the chairman to argue with that? He said a manager can make that comment but only if he knows the under 21 and under 18 players, only if he goes to watch them train and play their matches, only if he knows their names and knows their character and then he can invite those that are good enough to train with the first team, but not just for one session, where they are likely to be nervous, but for an extended period so they can settle down and properly shoe what they can do.

The presenters also asked Les what next for him and Chris Ramsey (as neither have been let go). Les said that Levy wants to keep both on, but needs to find roles for them.

Excellent Goals on Sunday episode today with Tim and Les.

I thought Sherwood came across really well. Completely refused to **** off Levy (in fact did the exact opposite) despite the presenters fishing for him to do that. Same for Baldini, Sherwood explained that Baldini gets the players, but all players brought in are sanctioned by the manager. He said that they might not be first choice or sometimes even second choice, but that is normal and you can't always get all of your first choice players.

Sherwood also spoke sensibly about the 'gap' in bringing through youth players and how it's too easy for managers of the first team to say they are not good enough and ask for funds to sign a player and then who is the chairman to argue with that? He said a manager can make that comment but only if he knows the under 21 and under 18 players, only if he goes to watch them train and play their matches, only if he knows their names and knows their character and then he can invite those that are good enough to train with the first team, but not just for one session, where they are likely to be nervous, but for an extended period so they can settle down and properly shoe what they can do.

Agree - I wasn't a big fan of Sherwood as manager, but thought he came across really well on Goals on Sunday. He certainly doesn't lack confidence.

Wish they'd talked about Sandro though... Sherwood said that the players who he thought wouldn't give everything for the club didn't play, and Sandro is the main player I can think of who was left out a lot when fit - yet he is one of the few players who seemed to love the club and always gave everything on the pitch!

Last edited:
Agree - I wasn't a big fan of Sherwood as manager, but thought he came across really well on Goals on Sunday. He certainly doesn't lack confidence.

Wish they'd talked about Sandro though... Sherwood said that the players who he thought wouldn't give everything for the club didn't play, and Sandro is the main player I can think of who was left out a lot when fit - yet he is one of the few players who seemed to love the club and always gave everything on the pitch!

I think maybe he was talking about Vertongen. You could never accuse Sandro of not playing for the team, maybe just gave attitude and stuck up for others, or too light hearted off the pitch???

My suspicion is that Sandro wasn't giving his all on the training pitch and expecting to get picked on reputation. I know that Sherwood implemented a policy of picking his teams based on what he saw in training as opposed to reputation. This would also seem to fit the interview Tim gave where he said 'yes Sandro is fit! but at the moment he's not showing me that he is good enough'. I'll find not whether or not my hypothesis was correct next weekend.

sound like sherwood was taking a dig at AVB...

... TBH we realise now that we were never good enough for top 4, and our u21s aren't the answer either. If top 4 was AVB's brief, then he was right - our U21s aren't ready.

... TBH we realise now that we were never good enough for top 4, and our u21s aren't the answer either. If top 4 was AVB's brief, then he was right - our U21s aren't ready.
Perhaps.... But, as an example, should we spend 10 million on a squad player like Capoue when we already have Bentaleb at the club? If we are selective in how we do this then we can ensure our budget is spent on just a few really good players instead of a number of reasonable ones.

If Sherwood was taking a dig, then I think the dig was at the fact that he didn't even want to give them any chance at all. Surely it would always make sense to have e best (say) 3 youngsters training with the first team, both to really see what they can do and also as it gives the other youngsters a great incentive?

I thought he was excellent and showed some class - no doubt some will say he got a pay off not to bad mouth anyone at the club etc

Tim's Goals on Sunday interview...

[video=youtube;foYXM3_yaR4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foYXM3_yaR4[/video]

Class interview and that's why I like the bloke. Direct and straight to the point.

Unfortunately footballers of today have to be treated like Kings to get the most out of them. They all play for themselves and not the badge.

Just a number of reasons why I'm so fed up with football in general.

I thought he was excellent and showed some class - no doubt some will say he got a pay off not to bad mouth anyone at the club etc

Well you have to ask why he showed more class now than when he was actually IN THE JOB when he was badmouthing the players and club hierarchy almost every week...yeah it must be the payoff :-"

I think some people were too busy trying to search for things to criticise him with (even when there was absolutely nothing there) to notice the guy talks a lot of sense. It was some sort of weird obsession with demeaning the guy, when in reality he does talk sense. Sure a few things he said would have been better left in house, but very little of what he said in general I disagreed with and that interview was of no surprise to me whatsoever....

I avoided it because I expected a massive smear piece against the club, happy to hear that wasn't the case.

Why does he need to have a dig at AVB ? Maybe he should concentrate on improving himself first before blaming others. Afterall, Sandro had mentioned the players were more happy under AVB than Sherwood.

My own view, based on nothing in particular, is that the parting was an amicable one. Indeed, given that (by all accounts) Sherwood has been held in pretty high regard at the club, Levy would likely have advised to him to get himself some much needed experience at a lower level club, and that if he proves himself, he may well get another shot at the job in a few years time.

Why does he need to have a dig at AVB ? Maybe he should concentrate on improving himself first before blaming others. Afterall, Sandro had mentioned the players were more happy under AVB than Sherwood.

Just because someone interprets he's having a dig at him doesn't mean to say he was, and if Sherwood wanted to have a dig at him he'd call him out directly he's not shy. As for Sandro, I haven't even heard him say that but I suppose its just a coincidence the guy Sherwood criticised and used sparingly is saying that....

Perhaps.... But, as an example, should we spend 10 million on a squad player like Capoue when we already have Bentaleb at the club? If we are selective in how we do this then we can ensure our budget is spent on just a few really good players instead of a number of reasonable ones.

If Sherwood was taking a dig, then I think the dig was at the fact that he didn't even want to give them any chance at all. Surely it would always make sense to have e best (say) 3 youngsters training with the first team, both to really see what they can do and also as it gives the other youngsters a great incentive?

I've heard on a few occasions that AVB took no interest in the youngsters and that riled TS. He was developing talented youngsters like Bentaleb, Veljkovic etc but they couldn't even get a look in.

I've heard on a few occasions that AVB took no interest in the youngsters and that riled TS. He was developing talented youngsters like Bentaleb, Veljkovic etc but they couldn't even get a look in.

Yeah that makes sense...because he never played Livermore, Carrol or Kane did he?
Oh and TS loved to play Bentaleb so much he didn't get a look in after the Liverpool game...even Chadli and Pualinho got in ahead of him....go figure

My own view, based on nothing in particular, is that the parting was an amicable one. Indeed, given that (by all accounts) Sherwood has been held in pretty high regard at the club, Levy would likely have advised to him to get himself some much needed experience at a lower level club, and that if he proves himself, he may well get another shot at the job in a few years time.

That actually makes a lot of sense

Just because someone interprets he's having a dig at him doesn't mean to say he was, and if Sherwood wanted to have a dig at him he'd call him out directly he's not shy. As for Sandro, I haven't even heard him say that but I suppose its just a coincidence the guy Sherwood criticised and used sparingly is saying that....

Sandro mentioned AVB communicated better with the players :

Spurs happier under AVB, says Sandro
May 13, 2014

Tottenham midfielder Sandro has hinted that the club was a better place to be under former manager Andre Villas-Boas than in the downbeat dressing-room of Tim Sherwood's reign - which came to an end on Tuesday.

The Brazilian insists he wants to stay at the club despite falling down the pecking order being dropped from the first-team squad last month for the home win over Fulham, with Sherwood claiming the Brazilian was "not good enough for selection".

That led to suggestions that Sandro will be sold in the summer, although he did feature in the last two games of the season and started Sunday's 3-0 win over Aston Villa.

But Sandro looks set for a fresh start in North London now it is confirmed Sherwood has left the club.

Speaking to The Sun, Sandro said: "Andre was one who would always speak very closely to most of the squad one on one," the 25-year-old, who joined Spurs from Internacional in the summer of 2010. "Tim does most of his talking during training on the side of the pitch rather than afterwards individually with players."

Sandro had told ESPN Brasil last week that "Sherwood will leave at the end of the season" and "then it's a new coach, a new everything".

But he now appears to be attempting to dilute his outburst. "The dressing-room atmosphere hasn't been a buoyant one in the second half of the season," Sandro said. "But for people to suggest we already know what will happen to the manager in the summer is wide of the mark. We only see what the media reports."

Despite a sixth-place finished and qualification for the Europa League once again next season, Sandro feels the club have underachieved.

"Overall, it's been a slightly disappointing season because, at Tottenham we set our standards very, very high," he said. "Our minimum aim is to finish in the top four and unfortunately this year we haven't been able to achieve it.

"We've played well in patches and overall we've played well against teams that are below us in the table. But unfortunately our results against the top four weren't good enough.

"This has been a frustrating aspect to the season and something we know we have to improve on if we are going to be competing to win the league."

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/307335.html#uQ3x4wWbYKR7qpaG.99

-------------------------------

You can't blame Sandro for being angry at getting dropped by Sherwood. I am convinced Sandro would have helped us avoid many goals we conceded under Sherwood.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back