• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Technology And Refereeing

Have I ever mentioned that Shearer's a clam?

It is possible. You could even be right. ;)

I think that would be improved by the ref being able to ask for help.

I've got no issue with the ref having to be clearly wrong before the VAR overrules automatically, but on decisions when the ref is unsure I don't see a problem with him asking for a yes/no judgement.

There are two approaches. One where it is a tool for referees to use, the other where the referee can be overruled. In rugby the former works very well and, in principle, I'd favour the same for football. But there are a few little Hitler referees, where an overrule is necessary. The best solution would be if VAR drove the latter type of referees from the game and we were left with those who want the help, asked for or as an advisory comment in the ear.

Seems like a blanket policy, amount of fans and pundits alike who don't understand what can retrospectively be reviewed for diving.

As an aside the totally football podcast just explained the rules correctly so others have no excuse
Not sure I understand the first sentence?

On the second sentence, won’t you have had to listen to that to have no excuse? I’d guess based on no data whatsoever, just a guess, that 90% of football fans will get there info on the new VAR rules from the match day commentary, punditary and sound bites from prominent football figures in the press, if these people are either not understanding the process or deliberately misrepresenting it, do you not think it would be better if the FA released a statement, which bbc and sky websites would report on and tv could quote, to clear up any doubts and refute the lies?

Here is the official documentation on VAR from The International Football Association Board, the body which governs the laws of football :
http://theifab.com/backend/library/lib/Protocol Summary (EN)

A couple of points to clarify:
  • Only the referee can initiate a review; the VAR (and the other match officials) can only recommend a review to the referee.
  • The referee must always make a decision regardless of the existence of VARs i.e. the referee is not permitted to give ‘no decision’ and refer the situation to the VAR.

I was right
"
  • Only the referee can initiate a review; the VAR (and the other match officials) can only recommend a review to the referee.

I was right
"

Isn’t that different to what rusx posted the previous page?

I think that is referring specifically to the pitchside review. The VAR can either tell the match ref he has got something wrong, and needs to over turn the decision (not optional) or, can advise the ref that a decision might be wrong and suggest it is reviewed by the match ref (optional). The match ref - and only the match ref - then decides whether or not he will review the incident using the pitchside monitor. This is what is meant by “only the referee can initiate a review”.

Or at least that’s my understanding from the below, taken from the link posted previously.

How are incidents reviewed?

There are two types. The VAR can inform the referee there has been a factual error that does not require the referee to see the video, such as a goal being scored from an offside position. The second is the on-field review where the VAR advises the referee to re-watch footage on a pitch-side monitor and reconsider their decision. In both cases the referee will make a TV signal gesture before communicating the final decision. History shows there is one on-field review in every three games.

The VAR can either tell the match ref he has got something wrong, and needs to over turn the decision (not optional) or, can advise the ref that a decision might be wrong and suggest it is reviewed by the match ref (optional) at pitchside.
Sounds good to me.

The VAR can say "Oi Dave, you got that wrong, he handballed it into the net / he punched him in the willy / he was offside".

And the VAR can say "Oi Dave, that looked like a dive, do you want to review it again on video?".

It is the former that people have a big problem with... we can all remember goals and decisions that were blatantly wrong, years ago, that still grate and should never have stood.

For debatable calls, it is not a big problem, you can argue it either way and understand why it is a tough call to make in the heat of the moment.

Always have said if the replay needs the white line to spot an offside the lino has got it right no matter what his decision was.
The Leicester VAR goal is a prime example of that. The lino was absolutely PERFECTLY in line, and Ienachos whole body was way in front of (and offside) the defender, and it was only the defenders trailing leg, or actually ankle, that made it onside. Absolutely ridiculous imo!

I was right
"

But it does mean the VAR official can initiate the process by telling the referee that he has made a mighty balls-up might want another look. It would take an arrogant referee to refuse and insist he is right regardless (although there will be some).

It's a well designed rule in that an extra party can intervene, but final responsibility for the decision stays with the referee.

There must be definitive document- come on people get busy!
I expect this by midday- I'm off swimming and brunch!

Let's get at it people!

But it does mean the VAR official can initiate the process by telling the referee that he has made a mighty balls-up might want another look. It would take an arrogant referee to refuse and insist he is right regardless (although there will be some).

It's a well designed rule in that an extra party can intervene, but final responsibility for the decision stays with the referee.

good job we don’t have any arrogant refs

I’d like the system tried with VAR being in charge and the ref on the pitch just relaying decisisons

As much as I disagree with Shearer, I don't really like the VAR so far. Seems a bit clunky, whereas when they brought in goal-line tech, it just flowed right along with the game. Not sure what the solution is.

Obviously, as there's some to debate as too how it all works, we need a VARS review system for the VARS to make sure that the VARS decisions are the correct ones.

And there will still be arguments about which ie '( vars1) (vars 2) or ( vars3) one is correct.

As much as I disagree with Shearer, I don't really like the VAR so far. Seems a bit clunky, whereas when they brought in goal-line tech, it just flowed right along with the game. Not sure what the solution is.
Quite simply because goal line technology is black and white, whereas VAR is all about someone’s opinions, it’s just added another layer of opinions on top of the refs. I think it could work, but they seriously need to iron out a lot of the floors and be way more transparent, in conjunction with the media, on the way the thing actually works, because it’s quite clear that currently no one knows.

Back