• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Technology And Refereeing

Well i guess if it fails to work out they can always sell it th the NFL, they love delays and breaks in their game. At the moment they make a 60 minute game up to Three hours. It gives the owners more time to sell burgers etc to fat Yanks. :p

Well i guess if it fails to work out they can always sell it th the NFL, they love delays and breaks in their game. At the moment they make a 60 minute game up to Three hours. It gives the owners more time to sell burgers etc to fat Yanks. :p
And about 200 commercial breaks per game.

The head ref really should come out publicly and say that then, put Conte back in his place and nip it in the bud straight away, otherwise managers will make the same complaints every week.
The papers know, the commentators should know, do the head refs ever comment on individual decisions? - Managers moan week in week out - this just gives them another thing to moan about.

Last night was great fun!

I think the severity of "Pedro dive" as it should be known, should be a straight red AND a months community service!

The papers know, the commentators should know, do the head refs ever comment on individual decisions? - Managers moan week in week out - this just gives them another thing to moan about.
If the commentators know how it works they do a good job of hiding it. They didn’t seem to know last night.

What I mean by nipping it in the bud is stating very clearly from the outset the process of this VAR. I haven’t seen this anywhere and I spend way too long on the sports pages, so doubt it’s happened yet or certainly not out in the mainstream. Doesn’t have to be the head ref, but the FA or whoever is in charge of it.

It’s difficult to argue that this current implementation of VAR is anything other than farsical.

If the commentators know how it works they do a good job of hiding it. They didn’t seem to know last night.

What I mean by nipping it in the bud is stating very clearly from the outset the process of this VAR. I haven’t seen this anywhere and I spend way too long on the sports pages, so doubt it’s happened yet or certainly not out in the mainstream. Doesn’t have to be the head ref, but the FA or whoever is in charge of it.

It’s difficult to argue that this current implementation of VAR is anything other than farsical.
this was doing the rounds early this week in most papers and podcasts - don't watch sky but can only guess its on there - all Journos were invited by Mike Riley to attend the introduction. Not sure what else they could have done to explain the process.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/what-var-how-work-whats-11814289

When does the VAR get involved?

This is key. Only when they spot a clear and obvious error. If they do, they need to communicate that to the referee. If they don’t, they stay out of it and let the referee’s decision stand.

Who decides when the VAR gets involved?

The VAR only. A referee can’t say, ‘I’m unsure, help me’ if they are in doubt. They have to make their decision first and if the VAR wants to get involved, they can.

What incidents can a VAR intervene for?

Only four – goals, red cards, penalties and mistaken identity.

Well well
I thought the ref had to ask for VAR,

VAR has a great effect on all Italians it now looks like.
I've watched them go ape every time it's used in Serie A and Conte proves it an Italian thing!

Last edited:
Well well

I've watched them go ape every time it's used in Serie A and Conte proves it an Italian thing!
Aussies hate it too, perhaps the Christian Vieri link

I think I'm the only person who thought the Willian one was a dive. He starts going down before the Norwich player touches him, so he's diving. Since when, if you dive -- and then touch an opposition player -- is that a foul?

Since Shearer became a pundit? It's part of the there was contact so he's entitled to go down mindset. That and you can't jump without elbowing the opposition player in the face (except for lower league players when it is disgraceful thuggery).

VAR system is a shambles - Shearer

Match of the Day pundit Alan Shearer calls the VAR system a "shambles" after referee Graham Scott's decision to book Chelsea's Willian for a dive against Norwich is not overturned.

I take this as a sign the tests are going well.

this was doing the rounds early this week in most papers and podcasts - don't watch sky but can only guess its on there - all Journos were invited by Mike Riley to attend the introduction. Not sure what else they could have done to explain the process.

This is key. Only when they spot a clear and obvious error. If they do, they need to communicate that to the referee. If they don’t, they stay out of it and let the referee’s decision stand.

The VAR only. A referee can’t say, ‘I’m unsure, help me’ if they are in doubt. They have to make their decision first and if the VAR wants to get involved, they can.

So goes back to my original point of what reason would they have not to hit back at the managers and commentators, saying they no full well what the rules are?

This is their window, when they are rolling this out, to clearly explain and to stand up to any criticism’s. Absolutely mental not to want to set the record straight, not to do so just let’s unnecessary negativity in to the process. Don’t you think?

Last edited:
Well well

exactly because that is what managers pundits and commentator’s are telling us, but in actual fact it’s as rusx posted, but I guarantee this won’t have been highlighted or pointed out by the next time it’s used.

Since Shearer became a pundit? It's part of the there was contact so he's entitled to go down mindset. That and you can't jump without elbowing the opposition player in the face (except for lower league players when it is disgraceful thuggery).

I take this as a sign the tests are going well.
Have I ever mentioned that Shearer's a clam?

I think that would be improved by the ref being able to ask for help.

I've got no issue with the ref having to be clearly wrong before the VAR overrules automatically, but on decisions when the ref is unsure I don't see a problem with him asking for a yes/no judgement.

So goes back to my original point of what reason would they have not to hit back at the managers and commentators, saying they no full well what the rules are?

This is their window, when they are rolling this out, to clearly explain and to stand up to any criticism’s. Absolutely mental not to want to set the record straight, not to do so just let’s unnecessary negativity in to the process. Don’t you think? (Don’t worry, I know this is the internet so i’m not expecting you to actually agree with me!)
Seems like a blanket policy, amount of fans and pundits alike who don't understand what can retrospectively be reviewed for diving.

As an aside the totally football podcast just explained the rules correctly so others have no excuse

I think that would be improved by the ref being able to ask for help.

I've got no issue with the ref having to be clearly wrong before the VAR overrules automatically, but on decisions when the ref is unsure I don't see a problem with him asking for a yes/no judgement.
It encourages the ref to make decisions rather than chuck everything to VAR like someone mentioned happens in rugby.

I don't really see the point of VAR as the arguments will still go on, but if it's coming in kind of like this way. Game is reffed as normal with a bod in Uxbridge telling them if they made an obvious fudge up. Arguments now focused on what's an obvious fudge up.

exactly because that is what managers pundits and commentator’s are telling us, but in actual fact it’s as rusx posted, but I guarantee this won’t have been highlighted or pointed out by the next time it’s used.

It early days and it's got good things and not so good things about VAR.

We all need to relax and see how it goes.

It encourages the ref to make decisions rather than chuck everything to VAR like someone mentioned happens in rugby.

I don't really see the point of VAR as the arguments will still go on, but if it's coming in kind of like this way. Game is reffed as normal with a bod in Uxbridge telling them if they made an obvious fudge up. Arguments now focused on what's an obvious fudge up.
Problem is even mistakes involving just millimetres are now being minutely dissected in the tv studio. Eg Kane's first goal against Everton (the one where Son's shotcross was prodded in by Harry) when the pundits and the studio celebrity ex-referee in the background (forgotten his name) declared it was unquestionably offside and would definitely have been disallowed had VAR been available. Well if indeed it was offside then we are talking little more than a hairs-width.

Seems that is what it is now coming down to, it's just plain daft.

Problem is mistakes involving just millimetres are now being minutely dissected in the tv studio. Eg Kane's first goal against Everton (the one where Son's shotcross was prodded in by Harry) when the pundits and the studio celebrity ex-referee in the background (forgotten his name) declared it was unquestionably offside and would definitely have been disallowed had VAR been available. Well if indeed it was offside then we are talking little more than a hairs-width.

Seems that is what it is now coming down to, it's just plain daft.
Always have said if the replay needs the white line to spot an offside the lino has got it right no matter what his decision was.

Back