• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Didn't we confirm AVB before those two signings? Yes we had been working on them for some time, but we had also been in talks with AVB for some time. You don't think the issue of these two players were discussed between Levy and AVB?

I find the idea that Levy should sign players without talking to the manager outlandish, for what I think are obvious reasons.

So what could have been so outlandish to suggest the above scenario regarding a potential striker - of course he would confirm withe AVB but the ground work could have (and in fact should have) started ages ago. And in the end he can simply run it past AVB like he did with those 2 names above which began way before AVB

Well, where's the striker, Einstein?

If he hasn't fudged up signing a striker, then what does it say about the idiotic management beneath him?

You're getting more and more out of order. Do you have any idea how to have a civilized discussion, or are all your replies set on 160 decibels of pure anger? is it possible for you to discuss the transfer policy/gossip of this club without patronizing everyone who has the temerity to disagree with you AND blasting them with anger at the same time? Seriously geezer...

VDV plays instead of a striker.

And the rest not good enough? All I see in this thread is moaning that we're not spending on strikers. What's the point in spending more money on someone else that's not good enough just so we have strikers.

Then how about we try spending money on someone who is good enough? Because if we look well enough we would find them. But then if they are not already playing in this league some muppet will suggest we should not go for a player because he is not proven in this league? WTF? Even Everton who are paupers compared to us were able to sign Nikica Jelavic for £5.5m.

I think Nikica Jelavic would have improved us drastically in Jan but instead we took Saha who was not good enough for Everton

Did you read my original question?

Yes, he left it late, but we ended up with Ade who was a key player for us all season. Would you have rather seen us sign an inferior striker earlier in the window?

Or how about signing a QUALITY striker EARLIER in the window? Is that combination not possible to achieve or unrealistic to expect from the PL's best chairman according to many?

Then how about we try spending money on someone who is good enough? Because if we look well enough we would find them. But then if they are not already playing in this league some muppet will suggest we should not go for a player because he is not proven in this league? WTF? Even Everton who are paupers compared to us were able to sign Nikica Jelavic for £5.5m.

I think Nikica Jelavic would have improved us drastically in Jan but instead we took Saha who was not good enough for Everton

You hit a point here. No matter who we sign, someone will think he's not good enough, too expensive, should have gone for someone else etc.

£5-6m per season is not "small little percentages". It's significant money. I asked already what your "tipping point" would be, but you seemed to not answer me.

There will also be a trade-off in player quality. That will have an impact all season. Signing Ade early last season quite simply wasn't an option.

Substantiate "£5-6m per season" and I might recognise your claim as something other than a worthless strawman.

So what could have been so outlandish to suggest the above scenario regarding a potential striker - of course he would confirm withe AVB but the ground work could have (and in fact should have) started ages ago. And in the end he can simply run it past AVB like he did with those 2 names above which began way before AVB

My guess would be that he probably did. Levy isn't an idiot you know...

Again it comes down to my earlier question. Would you rather we signed an inferior striker straight away or tried negotiating an acceptable deal for a better player that would arrive later? You seem to prefer the first of those two. I think I understand why, the importance of those early games and the added value of getting someone in early to do pre-season.

I prefer the 2nd option, as the latter 36 league matches + cup matches are also important and the player will probably be here for 2-3 seasons.

for example, if the club signed Ade on loan and Rhodes permanently then thats what we have to go forward with. Its something, we know where we are at and can get used to it

right now though, we are in the air

Or how about signing a QUALITY striker EARLIER in the window? Is that combination not possible to achieve or unrealistic to expect from the PL's best chairman according to many?

Sometimes maybe, far from always.

Like the Ade example last season, it didn't seem possible. With Berbatov it did seem possible. Identifying and ranking the targets must be the job of the manager and the scouts, not the chairman though. If they identify their top target(s) as someone who will take time to get, someone that will be difficult then that's who the chairman should go for in my opinion.

You're getting more and more out of order. Do you have any idea how to have a civilized discussion, or are all your replies set on 160 decibels of pure anger? is it possible for you to discuss the transfer policy/gossip of this club without patronizing everyone who has the temerity to disagree with you AND blasting them with anger at the same time? Seriously geezer...

Steff, how about you do yourself a favour and go and have a word with milo. He mentioned something about moderators needing to learn how to do their job.

I couldn't agree more.

My guess would be that he probably did. Levy isn't an idiot you know...

Again it comes down to my earlier question. Would you rather we signed an inferior striker straight away or tried negotiating an acceptable deal for a better player that would arrive later? You seem to prefer the first of those two. I think I understand why, the importance of those early games and the added value of getting someone in early to do pre-season.

I prefer the 2nd option, as the latter 36 league matches + cup matches are also important and the player will probably be here for 2-3 seasons.

Actually, I prefer the 3rd option which sadly hasn't been around sincle the Comolli days -do your homework throughout the season and sign your quality targets early into the window - hell, even before (Moric)!. Whereas you appear to be insinuating it is not possible to sign good players early and one needs to wait for deadline day which imv is utter nonsense.

You can sign good players at the beginning of the window - something which your 2 options exclude for one reason or another

Steff, how about you do yourself a favour and go and have a word with milo. He mentioned something about moderators needing to learn how to do their job.

I couldn't agree more.

Sheikh, how about you stop looking at the word 'moderator' beside my name and understand that the comment was made as free individual. Why can't you just cop to it for once?

Substantiate "£5-6m per season" and I might recognise your claim as something other than a worthless strawman.

How is it a strawman? I'm representing my side of the argument. That we save £5-6m per season, or £1-2m per player on average by Levy being tightfisted.

An example of this would be Vertonghen, had Levy taken the approach by some who posted here at the time we probably would have signed him a couple of weeks earlier, but for a higher fee. Probably in the millions.

I already asked you how much we would have to save per transfer (or per season) on average for you to find Levy's approach acceptable, but you didn't really answer.

Back