• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
AyETur_CAAA_z6Y.jpg

I reckon that is payback for Chelsea nicking Oscar, or at least making sure his price is 25m

There seems to be a bit of tit fot tat going on between both clubs

Mate i'm not saying they were not fantastic to watch but they played different types of midfielders and didn't need a creative luka type to play nice effective football.

You say swap Makelele and alonso as if it's not that big a deal and i agree with that but the way Brain is talking it's as if AVB can only implement the EXACT same formation and personnel (in terms of playing style) as he's done before and that's the scary part. Mourinho is a master because he can change things depending on the club he's with and the type of players they have.

You are saying they were direct, I am saying while they could play direct they were a lot more besides.

That said, they dis so without a Modric type player, so you have a fair point.

Kind of misses the point when we are talking about AVB though!

I think most managers have a set template to work to, thats not saying they wont tweak it though.

From what Ive seen of AVBs system it does require someone in the centre who can recycle possession well and also move the ball to the flanks well. He likes to use the full width of the pitch, and play the ball back and forth until opportunity arises. In this case I would say someone like Modric, able to keep playing simple possession balls and also ping it to a wide player in space is very much needed.

In the case of Moutinho, as I have pointed out, there is the added bonus that he knows the manager, and knows the system. A huige advantage if you can buy in a "ready made" solution in possibly the most important position in the system.

Tottenham are interested in Fluminense pair Wellington Nem and Manuel Lanzini, they sent scouts to watch them this week. #THFC -- BackPage. (@BackPage)

whats Hulk got in his hand, it looks like a wedding ring box, and AVB looks like he is about to get down on one knee

Mate i'm not saying they were not fantastic to watch but they played different types of midfielders and didn't need a creative luka type to play nice effective football.

You say swap Makelele and alonso as if it's not that big a deal and i agree with that but the way Brain is talking it's as if AVB can only implement the EXACT same formation and personnel (in terms of playing style) as he's done before and that's the scary part. Mourinho is a master because he can change things depending on the club he's with and the type of players they have.

I think managers can change if they have to, but if they are given the money to get the players they want they are probably going to play the way their football philosophy dictates to them that they should play.

And whether it's actually right for them to change is another matter. If we had signed Rodgers I wouldn't want him to change. We would have hired him to play the style of football that he likes to play. But most managers will work towards a certain philosophy or style if they play to a system, it's not specific to AVB being able to change it up or not. If they change or go half way towards something then they would be doing something we didn't hire them to do and with less chance of success IMO. Like if Rodgers decides to suddenly start lumping it to Carroll in certain situations. Fine, he could do it, but his whole came plan based around possession will be shot to pieces if he starts doing that.

Actually I shouldn't say most managers. Some managers may simply work with what they have and find the best way of making the most of it. Harry was one such. But problems come with that style of management just as advantages come. And some managers work towards a system and try and get the players to suit it, because they know if they get the players, the system they are played within can achieve potentially greater results than simply sending the players out there with more freedom.

I'm sure AVB is a capable enough manager to play to our strengths and make the most of our players. But he also definitely has a football philosophy, and I don't think it's unfair to argue that a passer ala Modric would play better or be more effective under AVB than a box to box midfielder. Especially when the system it worked under before was at the club AVB failed at because his choice of style of play was so different, and especially when it is generally considered we are far more suited to AVB's style. You're basically saying under AVB we should basically play the Chelsea way because it was effective with them, as if AVB's system won't work. Or you're saying he should change for no real reason. He wanted Modric last year so I'd rather provide him with the types of players he wants that ti into his philosophy than saying we should provide him with a different player type. We will have the money - why change?

Tottenham are interested in Fluminense pair Wellington Nem and Manuel Lanzini, they sent scouts to watch them this week. #THFC -- BackPage. (@BackPage)

Wellington Nem......newcomer of the year 2011 ahead of Leandro

[video=youtube;DeNyJPH6ITE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeNyJPH6ITE[/video]

I know it's a dreadful source of info but according to Wikipedia lanzini is on loan from river plate and the other chap is yet to play for fluminense

Lanzini...

[video=youtube;eS5WslUzNf0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS5WslUzNf0[/video]

I've said this a million times but i'll say it again. Chelsea won championships without a Luka type creator in the middle. Makelele (DM), Tiago/Essien (box to box) , and Lampard (attacking goalscorer) was a combination most teams simply couldn't handle because it's far more direct and relies more on power and energy then anything else (which sadly is a better fit in this league).

We have a dm and we have a goalscoring mid so maybe a box to box cm type midfielder would push us up a level. Personally i think the creative Modric type cm's are vastly overrated in this league.

I think you simply need to look at England at the Euros to see why teams without ball retainers just aren't competitive at the highest level.

A like-for-like Modric replacement like Moutinho, Sahin or Cabaye will be the difference between us competing for 2nd and competing for 5th IMO. It's that important.

I think you simply need to look at England at the Euros to see why teams without ball retainers just aren't competitive at the highest level.

A like-for-like Modric replacement like Moutinho, Sahin or Cabaye will be the difference between us competing for 2nd and competing for 5th IMO. It's that important.

I tend to agree with this - although it would also depend on how AVB plans to utilise VdV - as Arry used to or further back in midfield, allowing Sigurdsson to roam forward

Joe Allen is a ball retainer and can be bought for half of what Moutinho will cost

I kno it's a dreadful source of info but according to Wikipedia lanzini is on loan from river plate and the other chap is yet to play for fluminense

New season has just started and Wellington has so far played 6 matches and scored 1 goal.

VDV pledges future to Spurs

Dutchman aiming to win the title with Tottenham

Last Updated: July 18, 2012 6:09am

The 29-year-old Holland international has been linked with a move away from White Hart Lane following the dismissal of manager Harry Redknapp last month.

But he has played down such talk and insisted the future is bright under new boss Andre Villas-Boas.

He said in The Sun: "My place is at Spurs. I want to win the title with this club. Each summer my name appears in the transfer market.

"The race for the top four will be a total war from the very first day."

Van der Vaart, who joined the north London club two years ago from Real Madrid, added: "The new coach has good plans for me and this is important.

"I have heard excellent reports about AVB.

"We have very good attacking players and if AVB imposes an offensive system the team could be a real spectacle."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7908987/VDV-pledges-future-to-Spurs

Retire his number!

Back