• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not sure anyone would disagree with that - it was merely a 'reaction-ist' photo, nothing more. Breeaathe.

I am perfectly calm. Im just not at all keen on Hulk and dont want to see a whole bandwagon start rolling for no reason.

but who says a transfer is going on

the pic was taken, then distributed via teletext, and its people with nothing better to do who are trying to insinuate that this means we are after Hulk

Isnt that precisely how this started?

I've said this a million times but i'll say it again. Chelsea won championships without a Luka type creator in the middle. Makelele (DM), Tiago/Essien (box to box) , and Lampard (attacking goalscorer) was a combination most teams simply couldn't handle because it's far more direct and relies more on power and energy then anything else (which sadly is a better fit in this league).

We have a dm and we have a goalscoring mid so maybe a box to box cm type midfielder would push us up a level. Personally i think the creative Modric type cm's are vastly overrated in this league.

good post this.

Says who? Some random on the internet - must be true then!!

And, even if it were genuine, it doesnt automatically mean there is transfer talk going on. Could be as simple as old friends catching up...

Absolutely.

It's also a good opportunity for AVB to use his connection with Hulk to mingle with the Brazilian National Team - which, let's be honest about it, everyone likes to get a piece of. Good pic though, for people with fudge all else to do but spend their lives on Twitter.

I am perfectly calm. Im just not at all keen on Hulk and dont want to see a whole bandwagon start rolling for no reason.

There is little happening out there at the moment (Spurs wise) so little bits like that keep the thread ticking - you are trying to read too much into the photo. And eventhough you might not be 'keen' on him but doesn't mean others feel the same way, etc.

Im not reading anything into the photo - Im actively trying not to - yet I open this thread today to see rumours of us moving for Hulk... Its not me is it?

I dont want him. Happy to put my hands up and pin my colours to the mast on that one. From what Ive seen of him he isnt a player Id want anywhere near Spurs - Chelsea are welcome to him.

Aside from people saying "Its Hulk!" (cool name, big reputation) I havent actually had anyone disagree with me nor seen anyone actively advocate his buying. Only just realised, interesting, that.

Hulk is not actually his real name - he picked the nickname in Japan years ago

Actaully I think he's a very good player who would suit a direct / attack-minded team. Reminds of a stronger, more versatile, an more clinical Nani

Last edited:
I've said this a million times but i'll say it again. Chelsea won championships without a Luka type creator in the middle. Makelele (DM), Tiago/Essien (box to box) , and Lampard (attacking goalscorer) was a combination most teams simply couldn't handle because it's far more direct and relies more on power and energy then anything else (which sadly is a better fit in this league).

We have a dm and we have a goalscoring mid so maybe a box to box cm type midfielder would push us up a level. Personally i think the creative Modric type cm's are vastly overrated in this league.

=D> yes

what we now have is a manager who will change the way we train and play.....i am hoping that it doesnt matter who is in our starting 11, we will still pass the ball quickly and creatively on the floor. The system of play is not dependent on individuals having to be there. It will take time, lots of work on the training ground, but im sure we can get to the level of United and Arse for example whose teams play the same way and have the same success no matter if certain players are sold, or are injured etc

would not mind Hulk, last year he scored and assisted 27 goals in 26 games. Year before that, 23 goals in 26 games, with 13 assists to go on top of that. Anyone that is saying that Hulk is not that impressive is delusional

He's also been seen in a Spurs shirt

AxwCZxACEAEcvmC.jpg

Im not reading anything into the photo - Im actively trying not to - yet I open this thread today to see rumours of us moving for Hulk... Its not me is it?

I dont want him. Happy to put my hands up and pin my colours to the mast on that one. From what Ive seen of him he isnt a player Id want anywhere near Spurs - Chelsea are welcome to him.

Aside from people saying "Its Hulk!" (cool name, big reputation) I havent actually had anyone disagree with me nor seen anyone actively advocate his buying. Only just realised, interesting, that.

i wouldnt want us paying the reported fee that porto are demanding, but lets say he was available for around 20 mill pounds. For that sum id happily accept him. He is an explosive player who will provide pace, goals and assists. Will be frustrating at times too, but he is still 25 and hasnt even reached his mature peak yet.

right now though, there is no way we can afford this guy, no way at all, and thats why the majority of people are not getting into the hype about AVB being pictured with him. its a simple pic, nothing more to it

That worked in a Mourinho style system when his Chelsea played more direct, AVB wants to play more fluid, be a bit more patient and that means having players who can spot incisive passes. Luka and Moutinho would be key to that.

I agree with Sheikh's point about not spending all the Modric money on Moutinho though, we are absolutely right to negotiate with them or look at other options if they simply demand the Modric cash. It's like Liverpool's ridiculous way they priced Carroll. ''Well Chelsea have offered us £50m, and we value Torres as £15m more than Carroll, so we are happy to pay £35m. Seemingly totally ignoring the fact that if they got a better price for Carroll they could have reinvested more in other areas of the team too. We shouldn't do the same with Moutinho.

He will cost a lot of money if he comes, and I think he will do well, but we shouldn't be held to ransom. We should do what we can to try and replace Modric with a similar player type, but they simply cannot demand 40m Euros.

That worked in a Mourinho style system when his Chelsea played more direct, AVB wants to play more fluid, be a bit more patient and that means having players who can spot incisive passes. Luka and Moutinho would be key to that.

I agree with Sheikh's point about not spending all the Modric money on Moutinho though, we are absolutely right to negotiate with them or look at other options if they simply demand the Modric cash. It's like Liverpool's ridiculous way they priced Carroll. ''Well Chelsea have offered us £50m, and we value Torres as £15m more than Carroll, so we are happy to pay £35m. Seemingly totally ignoring the fact that if they got a better price for Carroll they could have reinvested more in other areas of the team too. We shouldn't do the same with Moutinho.

He will cost a lot of money if he comes, and I think he will do well, but we shouldn't be held to ransom. We should do what we can to try and replace Modric with a similar player type, but they simply cannot demand 40m Euros.

Mate if it's a "Mourinho style system" being more direct then why is he now buying Modric? and why is a layer like Xabi Alonso an integral part of the Madrid team?

I know you're a massive AVB fan but you have to realise your put tooooooo much emphasis and importance on his preferred tactic. He can tweak it without losing the core fundamentals.

Moutinho is an 18-22 mill pound player max....

hopefully we have a few other names on a list to replace Modric in case Porto stick to their guns

Mate if it's a "Mourinho style system" being more direct then why is he now buying Modric? and why is a layer like Xabi Alonso an integral part of the Madrid team?

I know you're a massive AVB fan but you have to realise your put tooooooo much emphasis and importance on his preferred tactic. He can tweak it without losing the core fundamentals.

Because he plays differently at Madrid than he did at Chelsea.

Firstly I would argue that passers like Modric and Alonso are more adaptable because of their skill and could play a direct system or a patient system, but players more suited to playing direct aren't as adaptable since they simply don't have it in their locker to pick apart a crowded defence and play in space.

But really I think it's important for any manager to get the players he needs for his system, I think that is becomming more and more common in today's game, with guys like AVB and Rodgers around. It's not because I'm an AVB fan, it's because I believe that any manager needs players that fit the system they want to play. Mourinho at Chelsea played with one striker, and Drogba was perfect for it. But Kezman and Shevchenko weren't, so even there if you don't have the right players it may not work out.

AVB can tweak a system all he likes, but I think he has a fundemental idea of how the game should be played, regardless of formation. And that seems to be quick pressing, winning the ball back as quickly as possible and keeping it from the opposition as much as you can. It involves being patient, and drawing out packed defences with intelligent, incisive passing moves. Missing out on a Modric style player and replacing him with someone more direct I don't think will be good for us.

It's not just because I'm an AVB fan. Any manager needs the right players. Rodgers is getting rid of Carroll because he isn't the right player for his system. Harry type managers are more adaptable, but ones that have a very specific idea on how the game should be played generally need the right players to play it if they are going to be successful. Because they focus on a system rather than just the players, it can lead to the whole being greater than the individual parts.

Because he plays differently at Madrid than he did at Chelsea.

Firstly I would argue that passers like Modric and Alonso are more adaptable because of their skill and could play a direct system or a patient system, but players more suited to playing direct aren't as adaptable since they simply don't have it in their locker to pick apart a crowded defence and play in space.

But really I think it's important for any manager to get the players he needs for his system, I think that is becomming more and more common in today's game, with guys like AVB and Rodgers around. It's not because I'm an AVB fan, it's because I believe that any manager needs players that fit the system they want to play. Mourinho at Chelsea played with one striker, and Drogba was perfect for it. But Kezman and Shevchenko weren't, so even there if you don't have the right players it may not work out.

AVB can tweak a system all he likes, but I think he has a fundemental idea of how the game should be played, regardless of formation. And that seems to be quick pressing, winning the ball back as quickly as possible and keeping it from the opposition as much as you can. It involves being patient, and drawing out packed defences with intelligent, incisive passing moves. Missing out on a Modric style player and replacing him with someone more direct I don't think will be good for us.

It's not just because I'm an AVB fan. Any manager needs the right players. Rodgers is getting rid of Carroll because he isn't the right player for his system. Harry type managers are more adaptable, but ones that have a very specific idea on how the game should be played generally need the right players to play it if they are going to be successful. Because they focus on a system rather than just the players, it can lead to the whole being greater than the individual parts.

Now can you finally see my point?

Now can you finally see my point?

Yeah fair enough - he has shown himself to be quite adaptable. There was a discussion like this in a thread about a month back when we were linked with Moyes, has there ever been a manager that's been known for being defensive/direct and has then gone on to manage a club with more history and tradition, and then changed to suit the new style? Mourinho is one of the only managers I can think of who has done that.

Most managers have a philosophy, a template of how they know they can get success and stick to it. Maybe AVB is going to be adaptable, I don't know until he plays a few games with us. But I'm pretty sure (and as well considering what the players like JV have been saying in terms of playing style that has been talked about) that we are going to be a fluid passing team. And that means when teams decide to park the bus against us, we are going to need to be patient and have players capable of finding the gaps through them. Passers like Modric, Moutinho etc will be important that, I'm pretty confident.

So I hope we get Moutinho or someone of a similar style to replace Luka, and I think we will.

Back