• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jenas and Bentley have to go...how many managers have tried to extract something out of them and failed. AVB will be no different, so any decent offers and we should let them go

Jenas, Bentley, Bassong and I'd even be tempted to say Defoe.

Everyone knows my views on 'JJ' so I won't even go there. Bentley is a strange one as he's certainly capable, yet seems to lack the determination or intelligence to focus on his football. I'd expect AVB to be a hard taskmaster, and that might not be up Dave's street.

Bassong I see as one of those players whom we signed as we saw him as having potential to be something really special - and that's hardly surprising given his raw attributes. However, he just hasn't really progressed. At some point, you have to take a view as to whether it's better to just cut your losses and transfer that risk onto someone else, and I feel we're reached that position with Bassong. His career is going backwards with us, and others are before him in the pecking order.

I say Defoe as I think he's a stagnating player. Yes he's arguably the only striker that we have - at the moment - but that doesn't justify keeping him, not in my opinion. This is the opportunity to refresh all of our options, not just one or two but keep problematic players all the while. Don't get me wrong, he's a quality striker but I just don't see enough appetite in his performances to justify keeping him at the club. He'd probably move and do better at another club, but I'm comfortable with that risk, as we'd be properly recompensed for the pleasure.

Yeah I think so too.

I don't think Ade really cares where he plays, neither would I expect him to have developed any great affinity to Tottenham Hotspur. I'd suppose he just wants his future to be resolved, and whether that's coming to us or A N Other is probably largely irrelevant to him.

I don't blame City either; they're merely taking the exact same stance that we are with Real Madrid over Modric. We're not some charity which deserves a helping hand; Ade is a top class footballer, one who would be in demand, and if Levy seriously wants thinks that he could get equal quality for equal or less money elsewhere, then good luck to you Daniel.

Seems like we're going to be left with Milan's "other" choices at the moment as they are in for two of our targets if news is to be believed: Ade, Damiao and Dzeko.

the thing with Pato is, I have never seen a player burn out so quickly in games!

I wouldn't touch Pato with a bargepole.

He's a name; a player whom has/had a great deal of talent - wonderkid status - but, unfortunately for him, he's now also one of those players who have these chronic injuries. If we was so amazing, then why are AC Milan not exactly taking a 'hands off!' stance with regards to speculation surrounding him? It's because they know that, actually, they wouldn't mind letting him go and passing that risk over to someone else.

I'd say AC Milan would want at least, what, €20m for him, maybe upwards towards €25m? There's better options out there for us to pursue, for that kind of outlay. Yes Pato would be a nice name to have on the books, but his record suggests that he'd spend more time on the injury table than he would on the field, and that just doesn't represent good value for money.

A bit pedantic perhaps, but options, not cover. There is a difference.

I already stated that I think Cazorla can play other positions than on the wings.

Decent, maybe. For Bentley that almost seems optimistic. Townsend has a lot of promise, but he is far from the finished article. I think Cazorla would be noticeably better than decent.

Sorry - but I don't follow your logic at all

As it stands at the moment - our mighty strike-force consists of Jermain Defoe (30 soon and who is likely to move on), Harry Kane and that 17-year Ivorian kid

On the other hand - we have the following players who can (if need) be deployed our wide - Bale, Lennon, Bentley, Townsend, and to a lesser degree Pienaar, Sigurdsson, and VdV (hell, even Modric if he stays).

In addition to that - I strongly doubt he have a 60m + transfer budget war chest (which is what we would need for 2 good strikers and Cazorla) so I would sincerely hope we prioritise accordingly

Jenas and Bentley have to go...how many managers have tried to extract something out of them and failed. AVB will be no different, so any decent offers and we should let them go

Whatever the case with these so called 'deadwood' players.. i'm glad that AVB is at least being fair to them by giving them time to prove themselves in training and in ytd's friendly against stevenage. They may not turn out to be first teamers but a few could certainly be good squad players in the Europa or when we have an injury crisis.

Seems like we're going to be left with Milan's "other" choices at the moment as they are in for two of our targets if news is to be believed: Ade, Damiao and Dzeko.

Wouldn't be surprised if Real Madrid came in for Dzeko. They had a long-standing interest in him, prior to his move to Emirates Marketing Project.

Silvio loves a Brazilian, so wouldn't surprise me if Damiao went to Milan either.

Which would theoretically leave us with Ade. I'd be happy with that.

That's the thing it actually came from a poster on here who said he heard it from some one that they might be interested. No articles on Google about it, nothing on the AC Milan forum where they're talking about hundreds of players. Now people on here are saying he'll choose Milan over us like they've also made a bid. Weird really.

If we do not get Ade (I think we will buy the way) - who the hell are we gonna buy to play up front? in all seriousness?

Are we just gonna adopt a 433 spain style no strikers?

I can see the Adebayor and Modric deals dragging on for weeks...

I cant see us giving Adebayor the wages he wants and i cant see Madrid giving Levy the money he wants.

It was a throw away comment. I meant it in the "I don't like the look of that horse in that race" kind of way.

I understand your concerns and I'll be honest that when I suggested it I didn't know his injury history was as bad as the beating I'm getting by you lot here is suggesting.

well i dont think you're getting a beating, just people are debating the points you raised while mirroring the tone you set for the discussion .

my thing is that if a player gets injured alot then the amount of money i spend on him should reflect that...AC milan most likely wont sell for that kind of valuation cause of pato's ability, ....means an impasse. I'd rather move on to someone i can be expecting to suit up most weeks.

and pato isnt even as injured as we make out , but the combination of his injuries, coming back from injury and trying toe get match sharpness together is definitely something Milan have felt

i wouldnt put it past Levy trying to get Ade on a free, for Emirates Marketing Project to rip up his remaining 2 years on his contract and what we save in transfer fee we then give to Ade as a signing on fee spread over the length of his contract

Wouldn't be surprised if Real Madrid came in for Dzeko. They had a long-standing interest in him, prior to his move to Emirates Marketing Project.

Silvio loves a Brazilian, so wouldn't surprise me if Damiao went to Milan either.

Which would theoretically leave us with Ade. I'd be happy with that.

Maybe, we will have to rely on midfield to score more goals though as Ade is very wasteful. I'm also worried on whether he will revert to type once he finds a permanent home and become a pain in the arse. Not that there is any reason to expect that, he seems to have genuinely changed since the bus incident, but I still think he is a costly risk in some ways.

So that's two big obsticles there then; Real Madrid (or whoever) not meeting our asking price, and also not signing-off until we have a deal agreed for a player to replace him.

I can't imagine Real Madrid would only have one target; yes they'd focus on acquiring Modric, but if - in their minds - we're tinkling around and delaying, then I'd expect them to move onto other options.

And the Moutinho deal (which is who you'd expect AVB would look to naturally 'replace' him with) is one which Levy would prefer to let run and run, in order to try and force Porto's hand.

6 weeks left until the end of the transfer window.

I'm seeing it increasingly possible that Modric will remain at Spurs next season.

I think we have been (publically) clear in our position. Pay the money or dont get him.

I believe we will have alternatives to Modric lined up pending his move.

IMO at this point its a bit of brinkmanship - we have set out our stall - Madrid are messing with us (Ive seen mention of them wanting Modric to demand a move etc) to see if they can shave money off of the price.

Graham Hunter on talksport said yesterday its all but done and we are only haggling about add ons (€40m base + €5-7m).

I think its much more likely he will leave, and that we just have a lull right now while things are going on behind the scenes.

Dont forget Modric is only just back with us after the Euros, could be that from now things move along...

Lokomotiv Moscow are ready to scupper Tottenham’s efforts to sign Emmanuel Adebayor after making an £8 million move for the Emirates Marketing Project forward.

Source: Telegraph

Former Arsenal forward Adebayor is still in talks with Spurs over a permanent transfer to White Hart Lane following his season-long loan last term, despite City agreeing a fee last week with the London club.

And with Spurs and Adebayor yet to come to an agreement over the player’s wages, Lokomotiv have contacted City to register their interest in the 28 year-old.

While Spurs are reluctant to match Adebayor’s £175,000-a-week City salary, Lokomotiv, now managed by former Croatia coach Slaven Bilic, have made it clear to the player that they are prepared to take on his wages in order to entice him to the Russian league.

It is understood that Adebayor prefers a transfer to Spurs over a move to Moscow, but with City determined to reduce their squad before stepping up efforts to sign Robin van Persie from Arsenal, senior figures at the Etihad Stadium are ready to do business with Lokomotiv if Tottenham fail to conclude a deal with Adebayor.

Back