• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, I'd mostly agree. I would point out, though, that he's just 20, and expecting any player to acclimatize to a new country with a style of play far more aggressive and much faster than the one he's used to is hard enough. Expecting a keeper to do it, with all the pressures that go with being the No.1 added to that? We could very well destroy his confidence if we put him in straight away.

We've already messed up a good keeper in Gomes. I'd say we need to be a bit more cautious in buying young goalkeepers. Sure, Ter-Stegen has great potential, but is he up to the pressures of goalkeeping here? That's the question.

I know he is young and as De Gea shown last season it can be hard. But with Brad around for another season, it would be a good time to get any young goalie in to introduce them slowly this season and to be the main man towards the end of the season and for the next 10 years or so...

He'll go to Liverpool.

If Rodgers wants him that bad then they could easily offer him a bigger contract.

Yeah, I'm dubious about it too.

However, it has just occurred to me that in as objective an assessment as possible, we're in a much, much better place than Liverpool. Great team, based in London, 4/5/4 finishes, big name manager coming in. If you remove the BR factor, any player in Siggi's position really shouldn't have a lot to think about. Spurs are the percentage move for him.

That's what will happen, I can gurantee you it.
We will sell Modric and Gylfi will be his replacement.

I hope it's not true but I fear it will be, I still have nightmares over that Berba and Campbell deal.
It's great getting ?30mill but not when you buy a un-proven russian striker and a crap striker in Frazier Campbell.

Wow, we're already comparing our (possible) new signing to Frazier Campbell. Talk about getting behind the new guy!

I think everyone agrees that losing Modric would be terrible for Spurs (though most of us are probably resigned to it by now). And while I think Sigurdsson might have a lot of potential, I don't think anyone is arguing that he would be our ideal Modric-replacement. But at the same time - in today's market - when someone with Sigurdsson's potential becomes available at ?8m, he's probably done enough at Swansea to be worth the punt. Initially more as a back-up / rotation player in the attacking midfielder position (whether VDV or Modric)... but hopefully fulfilling his potential and forcing himself into the first team.

We've gotten rid of Kranjcar already, Pienaar looks set to leave, can't see Jenas or Bentley playing major roles this season, and with the strong possibility that Modric and/or Van Der Vaart might be looking for transfers, I can't understand why we wouldn't be looking for *at least* one player in that position (yes, the striker position is slightly more of a concern, but the timing of Sigurdsson's transfer to Liverpool forced our hand on this one - it's not like we could wait to get in the striker first).

I think this would be a good signing for Spurs (if it happens - it's still just a rumour after all) and I doubt anyone at the club sees it as a like for like swap for Modric. But considering the midfielders we might lose this summer, it's definitely an area we can't get complacent about.

Sigurdsson isn't the marquee signing that a lot of fans want. That's obvious. But even if he was... I sometimes think that if Spurs announced they'd just brought in Messi, there'd be people on this forum immediately complaining about it... "he'll never fit our system" / "there's no guarantee he'll work well in the premiership" / "doubt he'll survive outside the unique confines of Barca" / "I always said he was over-rated".

He'll go to Liverpool.

If Rodgers wants him that bad then they could easily offer him a bigger contract.

i really dont think its all about the contract, its too easy a stick to beat him with.....anyway, we dont know what he has decided yet, but if he has chosen Spurs then it could be that he has been told about our plans, new manager, new players, his agent is Jonathan Barnett who is also Gareth Bale's agent and maybe the agent has pushed his client our way by saying "look Siggy, who would you rather spray a pass to on the left wing, Bale or Downing"???

Siggy is also a massive United fan and may harbour hopes of one day pulling on their red shirt, well if he joins Liverpool that will never happen

and think about it, Liverpool have had 3 weeks to pull off this deal, they have been in talks all this time. If they havent done it by now then something hasnt been right with it on Gylfi's part

anyway we shall see

However, it has just occurred to me that in as objective an assessment as possible, we're in a much, much better place than Liverpool. Great team, based in London, 4/5/4 finishes, big name manager coming in. If you remove the BR factor, any player in Siggi's position really shouldn't have a lot to think about. Spurs are the percentage move for him.

You'd think that but according to them lot of Rawk, we have peaked, this is as good as it gets for us, there is no hope of us going any further, our whole team is being broken up sold and we are managerless and we are a "hairdresser club" whatever that is. Yes they are in the process of rebuilding but even though we have finished above them for the last 3 seasons for Gylfi, his best hope of challenging for the league is with them. Recent league finishes mean nothing, they are the mighty Lolerpool and thats that.

I mdon't really "get" the Sig signing but it's nice to see young playes being signed again.

Me neither. Low priority when you consider how desperately we need CFs and also need a GK, winger and CB. That said, if he suits the system which the new man wants to play then so be it.

Also agree that its refreshing to sign players with potential again rather than the likes of Saha, Nelsen, Gallas, Freidel etc

Just hope that him comin gin doesnt mean that little Luka is leaving. You can guarantee that the press will put 2 and 2 together though

I mdon't really "get" the Sig signing but it's nice to see young playes being signed again.

absolutely, and im sure even if we dont tie up the Siggy deal then Levy and co will have other names on the list as back up. I heard Gaston Ramirez at Bologna is one weve been watching, only 22 and highly rated. Liverpool after him too.

Nothing official on Sigurdsson until Sun/Mon. Still officially on loan at Swansea. Registration returns to Hoffenheim July 1, then he's sold -- Greg Stobart (@gstobart)

Who: Atlanta Yid
Where: COYS
When: June 26

[AVB] Will be named coach on July 1st
The reason he has not signed yet is contract agreements with Chelski
Done and Dusted Know lets gets some players in

Back