• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
and contrary to what has been said on here before, i'm a firm believer Sigurdsson can be a big success playing in a deeper role then he did at swansea (so basically CM ).

We need to sign Borussia Monchengladbach's GK Marc Andre ter Stegen. The kid is only 20, helped BM to 4th in the league with the second best defensive record in the league.

Obviously it's hard to get in goal ahead of Neuer for the national team, but from what I have seen of him Stegen looks like a machine. I've only seen him play a handful of times and he seems a typical eccenteic German goalie.

Anybody seen anything of him?

If Sahin and Sigurdsson are indeed targets then i think you're on to something. Put it this way, if we sign them two and play those two as well as either Parker or Sandro for the defensive role then i'd be far more optimistic about the prospect of AVB managing us (and you probably get it that i really don't want AVB).

beginingss-at-porto.jpg

Those were his tactics at Porto. Now, if Sigurdsson and AVB get here, then Sigurdsson would take Belluschi's place.Sahin/Modric/Hudd would assume Moutinho's role, Bale would be the 'Varela' providing width and Sandro would be the 'Fernando', sweeping up.
All we need now are an inside forward to cut in from the right and a 'Falcao' type centre-forward. Step forward, Remy (or Sturridge) and Ade (or anyone else).

So, in the end, he could conceivably play the same tactics, but with far superior players to the ones he had at Porto, with the exception of Hulk and Falcao. And I think we're seeing a pattern emerging in our transfer dealings where the players being targeted are the ones that fit into this system.

If you're interested in reading about AVB's tactics,

http://www.eplindex.com/14831/andre-villas-boas-succeed-liverpool-failing-chelsea.html

would be a decent place to go. Unless you've already seen it, of course. :)

We need to sign Borussia Monchengladbach's GK Marc Andre ter Stegen. The kid is only 20, helped BM to 4th in the league with the second best defensive record in the league.

Obviously it's hard to get in goal ahead of Neuer for the national team, but from what I have seen of him Stegen looks like a machine. I've only seen him play a handful of times and he seems a typical eccenteic German goalie.

He's apparently the new Oliver Kahn, because he yells and gesticulates in much the same manner. :D

I remember them hyping him up in the Budesliga highlight programme on ESPN. Can't say i've seen enough to make a judgment but on that particular episode they were bogging him up and another young Goalie i forgot who.

I hasten to add that, if we appoint AVB, and if he uses his system again, we'll need an aggressive sweeper-keeper to patrol behind the high back four. That, Friedel is not. And Gomes is definitely not. So we'll probably bring in a new keeper as well, if AVB is our man.

beginingss-at-porto.jpg

Those were his tactics at Porto. Now, if Sigurdsson and AVB get here, then Sigurdsson would take Belluschi's place.Sahin/Modric/Hudd would assume Moutinho's role, Bale would be the 'Varela' providing width and Sandro would be the 'Fernando', sweeping up.
All we need now are an inside forward to cut in from the right and a 'Falcao' type centre-forward. Step forward, Remy (or Sturridge) and Ade (or anyone else).

So, in the end, he could conceivably play the same tactics, but with far superior players to the ones he had at Porto, with the exception of Hulk and Falcao. And I think we're seeing a pattern emerging in our transfer dealings where the players being targeted are the ones that fit into this system.

If you're interested in reading about AVB's tactics,

http://www.eplindex.com/14831/andre-villas-boas-succeed-liverpool-failing-chelsea.html

would be a decent place to go. Unless you've already seen it, of course. :)

I prefer Mourinho's tactic and was under the impression that AVB played something like that. Same formation but i prefer the combination of Mourinho's 3 in midfield (DM, Box to Box, goalscoring mid) over AVB's (DM, playmaker, and creative CM that starts further to the right). Mourinho's one is less complicated and suits this league far better imo.

Sigurdsson would 100% suit Mourinho's tactic too (and more than likely sahin too).

I hasten to add that, if we appoint AVB, and if he uses his system again, we'll need an aggressive sweeper-keeper to patrol behind the high back four. That, Friedel is not. And Gomes is definitely not. So we'll probably bring in a new keeper as well, if AVB is our man.

NOOOO NOT THIS CRAP AGAIN.

Out with Friedel and in with ......SWEEPER KEEPER.

What else do you want, ideal.

Yeah, I'd mostly agree. I would point out, though, that he's just 20, and expecting any player to acclimatize to a new country with a style of play far more aggressive and much faster than the one he's used to is hard enough. Expecting a keeper to do it, with all the pressures that go with being the No.1 added to that? We could very well destroy his confidence if we put him in straight away.

We've already messed up a good keeper in Gomes. I'd say we need to be a bit more cautious in buying young goalkeepers. Sure, Ter-Stegen has great potential, but is he up to the pressures of goalkeeping here? That's the question.

from a Swansea forum. Its about about Siggy

Gylfi's father was on the radio here in Iceland this morning. He was mostly talking about Gylfi's career in general and didn't want to comment on any transfer rumours. However, he had three interesting things to say:

1. Gylfi will sign one thing or another beginning of next month (he said "beginning of next month, well, ..., next weekend").
2. Gylfi did not get permission from Hoffenheim to postpone his return to Hoffenheim. He is on loan to Swansea until July 1st and considers himself a Swansea employee until then.
3. Gylfi was injured all last season (including his spell at Swansea). This prevented him from shooting (except with his inside foot). He has recovered from his injury now.

We'll need a new keeper whoever the manager is

from a Swansea forum. Its about about Siggy

Gylfi's father was on the radio here in Iceland this morning. He was mostly talking about Gylfi's career in general and didn't want to comment on any transfer rumours. However, he had three interesting things to say:

1. Gylfi will sign one thing or another beginning of next month (he said "beginning of next month, well, ..., next weekend").
2. Gylfi did not get permission from Hoffenheim to postpone his return to Hoffenheim. He is on loan to Swansea until July 1st and considers himself a Swansea employee until then.
3. Gylfi was injured all last season (including his spell at Swansea). This prevented him from shooting (except with his inside foot). He has recovered from his injury now.

That can't be true. If you couldn't shoot with the top of your foot you wouldn't be fit to start!

Sigurdsson being given the 'Belluschi role' is stupidly counter productive and defeats the purpose of signing him tbh. If that diagram of how AVB sets up is to be believed then the 'Belluschi role' requires a player starting from a central position and make runs on the outside. Now this is not Sigurdsson's game and his main strength is to make attacking runs centrally and exploit space.

I prefer Mourinho's tactic and was under the impression that AVB played something like that. Same formation but i prefer the combination of Mourinho's 3 in midfield (DM, Box to Box, goalscoring mid) over AVB's (DM, playmaker, and creative CM that starts further to the right). Mourinho's one is less complicated and suits this league far better imo.

Sigurdsson would 100% suit Mourinho's tactic too (and more than likely sahin too).

AVB's is based more on overloading the wings. The play-making mid sits deep and sprays through balls behind the full-backs for the winger/inside forward. But the beauty of it is that Sigurdsson would fit perfectly in any of the three roles. As the CM starting to the right (Belluschi replacement), he could cut back onto his left foot and curl either crosses or shots into the far post area, both of which he's great at. As the play-making CM he could spray passes with ease, and he could occasionally try long-range drives as well. As the goal-scoring midfielder in a Mourinho 4-3-3, he could be perfect, hitting them in from all angles. Sigurdsson's a perfect player for a 4-3-3. We have to get him, if we can.

Back