• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Summer transfer thread, do NOT believe everything SSN "understand" #Levytime

I'm probably going to get infraction points for this (whatever they are) but my GHod there are some bell ends that post here. Give the new players and manager a chance before you slag them off. Spurs fans have a reputation for being fickle for a reason it seems.

Re: Summer transfer thread, do NOT believe everything SSN "understand" #Levytime

We should have finished 3rd last season but the old manager blew it. So maybe really we should be targeting 2nd??

When we replaced Redknapp with AVB, I really thought Levy are going to aim for league title this season. It has been proven wrong now, disappointingly.

When we replaced Redknapp with AVB, I really thought Levy are going to aim for league title this season. It has been proven wrong now, disappointingly.

So all of this complaining is just because you had unrealistic expectations?

I'm probably going to get infraction points for this (whatever they are) but my GHod there are some bell ends that post here. Give the new players and manager a chance before you slag them off. Spurs fans have a reputation for being fickle for a reason it seems.

You ain't seem nothing yet!

Wait for a proper Glory Glory meltdown

Overall I'm pleased with the signings we've made. Very pleased in fact and if I were to rate the signings I'd give them a b or c but. And this is a but of Susan Boyle proportions. AND I'm gonna sound like a broken record here. In October last year, when we narrowly scraped a 1-0 home win over West Brom, our performance was terrible. Lennon was out of the side for the first time and we had no back up and their defence really didn't have to do too much to cope with the rest of us. I said then we needed a new winger. I said in January we needed a new winger and a new striker. Disastrously that transfer window passed without us signing a new winger but we did get a stop gap of a new striker - someone who would have to make do, and although half decent, was never gonna challenge to be our top scorer. Fast forward to now and were still in exactly the same situation as we were last October. No new winger. No marquee striker signing. That is a disgrace. Absolutely nothing short of a disgrace. I know we still haven't had time to see what will happen under this manager when Lennon tweaks a hammy, which he will, but we ALL know that we are glaringly short of cover down that side and this has not been addressed.

Lloris, world class. Siggy and Dembele - brilliant, the 2 prem players I most wanted to sign when asked at the end of the season. Dempsey, will hopefully fill the gap left by VDV but we'll see. Vertonghen is a great signing too. Adebayor is a snip at £5m and we know he fits in the team (when he fancies it). But I honestly feel that had we brought in Moutinho and Remy or Willian plus Llorente then we'd have a squad capable of challenging for the title. Now we've just got to cross our fingers that we can get results when our wingers are out.

Happy with who we've got, slightly disappointed in who we tried to but didn't, but angry and concerned that we didn't apparently try to address our squads most glaring deficiency.

Personally I'm pretty gutted with how the transfer window has finished. I have nothing against the players brought in, I like Lloris, verts and dembele and I have patience to see how siggy and Dempsey work out with the team.

I think what I'm frustrated with is the lack of progress since we first qualified for the champions league. In that time we have seen Tv money go up, and tickets go up and the money we make from sponsorship deals go up. Yet in this time we have made a profit from player trading. Not spent to push on, but made a profit. It's not that that is unacceptable but I would like our chairman to at least come out and explain why we are having to do this.

We have wanted a striker for about 2 years and although we got ADE, we have sold pav and crouch. I never thought we would get damiao or Llorente but we needed a striker.

2 years ago as we entered our first season with CL football we had three quality players in King, Modric and VDV. A nice spine down the team. Now they are all gone. I realise of course we had no choice with King and to a certain degree Modric, but I can't help feel the chairman thought the deal for VDV was to good to turn down. If we had wanted him to stay I'm sure we could have kept him. Maybe AVB think he does not suit the system we want to play. Again, that's fair enough.

But if we are going all out for a system then we have to back the manager. Moutinhio was obviously his main target and the chairman has failed him. I follow Portugeuse football a lot and Moutinhio as the main to take over the void of losing Modric. And it is a big void. That little rat had us always ticking over, retaining possession in tight places and was the fulcrum of the side.

If their is legit reasons why the deal fell through then I want the chairman to explain to us. Why we could not get him and why we are now turning a profit in player sales. Tell us why we always almost throw away the first two games every season with the last day fiasco.

I think overall though, I'm just a simple fan. And my two favourite players have been sold. I'm gutted. Moutinhio would have filled that void and yes that's just my personal emotions, but that's why we love football.

I'll continue to back AVB, I supported his hiring and I support his vision for our team. I just feel DL has let him down. And I don't think it's unfair as a fan to expect some explanations.

We have a big game today. We have to win or the pressure on AVB is going to start to mount already. Most of all I want us to do well and play in a style. So I'll always be 100% behind and player or manager that dons our sigil plays for our team. But at this moment I'm frustrated, annoyed, disappointed and I would like some answers.

At least though if Bale or Lennon are out we do still have creative players in Demsey, Siggy and Dembele, last season we didnt really have anything...

Title ? Let's start winning first, what we did last year first part of the season was phenomenal. We have to allow time for AVB to get his players buy into his philosophy, and start feeling at ease with the system. We've got quality players, now I'm ready to watch us closely.

All in all a good window. We got rid of Modric and VDV who, for different reasons, wanted out.

AVB obviously has his own ideas ad targets. It would be a massive mistake to full overfaul the squad this window remembering we already have to bed it a new goalkeeper, defender, 2 possibly 3 midfielders.

Imho if we can get the team shape and style sorted we can keep adding 2/3 players every window. There is no point getting 10 players in at one time.

Personally i dont mind we dont have a great deal of cover in places, the season doesnt get that busy until jan when the FA cup, league cup later rounds, UEFA cup knckout are all feature. We do, however, need to get a few in during the jan window.

I wonder how close or serious we were in bidding for Mountinho. Did we really agree a price or get close to a price with Porto? Did we really get close to agreeing personal terms with the player? And did we get so close that we asked for an extension? Or was it all just SSN playing the the audience?

AVB said that it would be difficult which seems to me a reasonably assessment and that this was a player he really wanted but probably beyond our means. As a result we keep channels open in the hope that Porto drop their demands sufficiently to meet our budget. In the end they didn't.

We haven't broken our transfer record for 4-5 years and I suspect Levy was willing to do so this summer. But high transfer fees come with the expectation of high wages. Say for instance that a £25m signing will want £100k per week, while a £30m signing would want more. I'd argue that a £22m signing on £80-90k per week is probably around where our limit lies* and that was probably not quite high enough to satisfy Porto and Moutinho.

Another factor is how much Mountinho wanted to leave. My impression is that he is reasonably content at Porto but looking for the next stage in his career. He probably would have come to us to play in the PL and work with AVB again, but is fairly confident he will get other opportunities, possibly bigger ones, in the future. So he wasn't agitating for a move.

--------------------------
* Ball park calculation: £22m fee over 4-5 years and £80-90k pw is about £9m a year over the contract. If our budget includes an annual wage bill of about £90-100m and a transfer budget of around £10-15m, that's about 8-10% of the player budget for one player.

I wonder how close or serious we were in bidding for Mountinho. Did we really agree a price or get close to a price with Porto? Did we really get close to agreeing personal terms with the player? And did we get so close that we asked for an extension? Or was it all just SSN playing the the audience?

AVB said that it would be difficult which seems to me a reasonably assessment and that this was a player he really wanted but probably beyond our means. As a result we keep channels open in the hope that Porto drop their demands sufficiently to meet our budget. In the end they didn't.

We haven't broken our transfer record for 4-5 years and I suspect Levy was willing to do so this summer. But high transfer fees come with the expectation of high wages. Say for instance that a £25m signing will want £100k per week, while a £30m signing would want more. I'd argue that a £22m signing on £80-90k per week is probably around where our limit lies* and that was probably not quite high enough to satisfy Porto and Moutinho.

Another factor is how much Mountinho wanted to leave. My impression is that he is reasonably content at Porto but looking for the next stage in his career. He probably would have come to us to play in the PL and work with AVB again, but is fairly confident he will get other opportunities, possibly bigger ones, in the future. So he wasn't agitating for a move.

--------------------------
* Ball park calculation: £22m fee over 4-5 years and £80-90k pw is about £9m a year over the contract. If our budget includes an annual wage bill of about £90-100m and a transfer budget of around £10-15m, that's about 8-10% of the player budget for one player.

From what ive read today we agreed a fee and personal terms, it was all down to the 15% of him owned not by Porto which was the issue

From what ive read today we agreed a fee and personal terms, it was all down to the 15% of him owned not by Porto which was the issue
if that is true then it's about time football law was united in Europe. We have all had to take on the Bosman ruling. Either all teams in UEFA should have to 100% own their players or all teams and countries should allow 3rd party ownership.

Well Daniel. you proved me wrong yesterday. Hands up to that. Good to see some new faces coming in, although I feel we didnt fully address the striker situation.
Dempsey, Dembele and Lloris are all good additions. Another £10m towards the Stadium fund I would assume. And I think we have to accept David Bentley is here for good.

Good window all in all, A lot off the wage bill too, but not the fanatstic, blow your socks off one we all craved

Always happy to proved wrong

Now the dust is finally settling after last nights frenetic activities at the 'Lodge, I am going to make a statement about our squad that some might find odd.

Firstly, I think that we had no intention of replacing Modric. I think the plan was for us to bring players into the football club who could fit the AVB playing style. I also think that AVB learnt a great deal from Mourinho, who has always brought players to fit not one system, but many. Now we all know that from a financial point of view, that we can't compete with the City's or the Chelsea's of this world, so I think our dealings in this transfer window were quite positive.

As fans, we must all now get behind the manager and the players, starting today. What I do not want to witness later on this afternoon is a repeat of the booing that I heard last week. It is going to take time for the players to settle and to be comfortable in the system, so lets have a bit of patience. COYMLS!!

if that is true then it's about time football law was united in Europe. We have all had to take on the Bosman ruling. Either all teams in UEFA should have to 100% own their players or all teams and countries should allow 3rd party ownership.

Not sure how you would achieve that.

Force all the teams who have players 3rd party owned to buy them out?

Yay lets screw up some clubs finances!...

You could quite easily put a rule change in place that becomes effective at some time in the future, say 2-3 years from now and meanwhile no new 3rd party ownership is allowed. Could even be a gradual decrease over a period of time.

You could quite easily put a rule change in place that becomes effective at some time in the future, say 2-3 years from now and meanwhile no new 3rd party ownership is allowed. Could even be a gradual decrease over a period of time.

Even a gradual decrease would screw up some clubs who depend on third party ownership to run their clubs within strict financial limits.

I don't think this is going to change just because one team in one country missed out on a player due to it. Very little call for it imo.

You don't allow any further contracts to include 3rd party ownership. It really is that simple. In 5 years time there would be no more 3rd party ownership. If teams want to keep their players then they give them a new contract and buy the 3rd party out, otherwise they sell and another club has 100% ownership.

The third party ownership is something Platini has said UEFA will investigate. He has to if he wants the FFP rules to have meaning, as otherwise a club can spend a lot more on players if third parties buy part of the players.

Back