• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer Transfer Strategy

I'm hoping this past season was a wake-up call for Bentaleb. From the heights of 2014-15 to 168 total PL minutes in 2015-16. Sure he can go to another team, but will it be a contending one and one where the coach rates him as much as Poch does when his attitude and application are where they should be. So I'm looking at these two factors and going he'll be part of the plans for next year.

I guess its down to how badly he wants it he is still a kid so if he pulls his finger out he could be a part of what Poch is building here. As for the other two well I will be sad to see Carroll go as I like the way he plays with his head up all the time, but if he is ever going to be starter it will be probably elsewhere. As for Mason I will not shed a tear if he goes as I have not seen anything to suggest he will become a big player here.

Just a note, but the old Sky Sports sources are talking up Mourinho wanting to flog Blind and Mata. Now I have no interest in us signing Mata, but Blind would be a bloody good bit of business in my opinion.

Just a note, but the old Sky Sports sources are talking up Mourinho wanting to flog Blind and Mata. Now I have no interest in us signing Mata, but Blind would be a bloody good bit of business in my opinion.

For what position? CB or DM?

He's useless as a CB. Would be an expensive backup for Dier.

He'd be a very good backup to Dier and also can play LB very well. So could cover two positions.

Between the two, Mata is the better player, he was an extremely good player before Jose, still only 28 .. quality there for someone (don't seem him as a Poch player)

Between the two, Mata is the better player, he was an extremely good player before Jose, still only 28 .. quality there for someone (don't seem him as a Poch player)
The problem for anyone trying to sign Mata is that he is currently on Man Utd wages (i.e massive ones).... With that and Man Utd no doubt wanting a sizeable transfer fee it somewhat limits the potential destinations for the player.

In England I think only Chelsea, Arsenal, Emirates Marketing Project or (at a push) Liverpool could afford him. In Europe it is probably only PSG, Bayern Munich, the three big boys in Spain and Juventus. So unless the player fancies a move to China or a considerable wage drop, then he may well have to stick it out at Man Utd.

I'd say as rotation for Dier and Dembele. Able to play at CB if we were caught really short, but primarily he'd be my DM cover.

Edit: Although if we are looking at Bazoer then forget him.

I don't see him letting him go yet but I wouldn't mind us looking at Schneiderlin. Imagine if our midfield 4 were Dier, Dembele, Wanyama and Schneiderlin. All know what playing in Pochettino team is all about. Would be interesting, probably unlikely.

If Mourinho wants shot of a player, I'm sure they'll bank roll a proportion of their wages if necessary. But I also can't see them wanting to strengthen a rival.

I don't see him letting him go yet but I wouldn't mind us looking at Schneiderlin. Imagine if our midfield 4 were Dier, Dembele, Wanyama and Schneiderlin. All know what playing in Pochettino team is all about. Would be interesting, probably unlikely.

Seems like overkill in terms of a) giving them all playing time, and b) having too much of a defensive focus there - only Dembele can really carry the ball forward (Dier and Schneiderlin can distribute it from deep, but that's hardly the same thing).

I agree that it's an ideal to work towards, though - four midfielders, all quality, all ready to step in and contribute without a hitch to keep the system flowing, and all perfectly drilled in whatever it is Poch wants his central midfielders to consistently do.

I think, if we want to go to that next level, that our main focus should be on bringing in a top class, deep lying, play maker. Someone with abit of experience would be ideal.

I think, if we want to go to that next level, that our main focus should be on bringing in a top class, deep lying, play maker. Someone with abit of experience would be ideal.

I don't think our system requires one, especially as all our CBs are such good ballplayers. Having mobile CMs who can press intensely and transition the ball quickly (not necessarily ambitiously) is the key to our system. A Carrick or a Senna would be all at sea in our system.

I don't think our system requires one, especially as all our CBs are such good ballplayers. Having mobile CMs who can press intensely and transition the ball quickly (not necessarily ambitiously) is the key to our system. A Carrick or a Senna would be all at sea in our system.

So if Modric was available to come back you would say no because a player like that is not needed?

To be honest, yes if modric doesn't suit the system, then he shouldn't be bought.

Poch places the system before any individual, the system makes the players look good. Its almost the anti redknapp, where the individuals made the team look good.

VW will be an excellent signing if it happens, but we also need good back up for mousa, unless we buy another wide forward or 10 and we see Alli play deeper more next season

Disagree. Our system doesn't require a deep lying playmaker, but a player like that wouldn't be lost in our system at all.

So if Modric was available to come back you would say no because a player like that is not needed?
I think that Modric would play the Dembele role in this Spurs team. He is one of the players who is able to receive and look after the ball no matter how closely marked he is. Modric would be the player that would allow us to transition out of defence (just as Dembele is now).

Modric's a good alrounder - defensively disciplined, mobile and puts his foot in. He'd be like a higher-level Bentaleb or Mason in the role.

Deep-lying playmakers are more like Pirlo/Redondo/Senna/Carrick etc. in my eyes

Last edited:
Back