• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer Transfer Strategy

Modric's a good alrounder - defensively disciplined, mobile and puts his foot in. He'd be like a higher-level Bentaleb or Mason in the role.

Deep-lying playmakers are more like Pirlo/Redondo/Senna/Carrick etc. in my eyes
He is more of a playmaker than a defensive/holding midfielder.

I think the strategy should be simple sign players that will take the team forward next season and have the potential to improve themselves and the team in the future. Of course there will be financial issues, but these are irrelevant to most fans. Our problem is we will not be many players first choice and we end up either not signing the player we want of waiting too long to get them. I'm sure we have a list of players the manager wants but get them may be impossible for many reasons. There will be many players signing for other clubs we may have got but we had other targets. I'd be surprised to see many top signing while the Euros are on. Reading the various posting I see there are about 20 players we should consider signing so most of us will be disappointed with what happens.

I don't see him letting him go yet but I wouldn't mind us looking at Schneiderlin. Imagine if our midfield 4 were Dier, Dembele, Wanyama and Schneiderlin. All know what playing in Pochettino team is all about. Would be interesting, probably unlikely.

I'd like a squad like that, because then we can easily move Dier back to cover at centre-half, or even right-back in certain instances. Likewise, we can (if we want to) move Dembele forward to number 10 or a wide position. Gives us lots more options tactically (particularly for closing out a game where we are leading, something we had trouble with last season) and gives us lots of depth for centre midfield at the same time. Although I don't think Schneiderlin would be available.

I'd like a squad like that, because then we can easily move Dier back to cover at centre-half, or even right-back in certain instances. Likewise, we can (if we want to) move Dembele forward to number 10 or a wide position. Gives us lots more options tactically (particularly for closing out a game where we are leading, something we had trouble with last season) and gives us lots of depth for centre midfield at the same time. Although I don't think Schneiderlin would be available.

as great as that 4 would be im not sure we could juggle 4 CMs of that caliber - id be happy with Dier covered by Wanyama and Dembele covered by Bentaleb, who i think has more of the tools required to play that role than the other.

Wanyama would be first choice (of the CMs) to bring on when we want to see out a game and Bentaleb if we were chasing a game - i think Wanyama/Bentaleb would make a decent partnership as well and would be good enough to start as a pair against the majority of our opponents.

as great as that 4 would be im not sure we could juggle 4 CMs of that caliber - id be happy with Dier covered by Wanyama and Dembele covered by Bentaleb, who i think has more of the tools required to play that role than the other.

Wanyama would be first choice (of the CMs) to bring on when we want to see out a game and Bentaleb if we were chasing a game - i think Wanyama/Bentaleb would make a decent partnership as well and would be good enough to start as a pair against the majority of our opponents.

I'd be happy with that as long as Bentaleb hasn't totally fallen off and is still trusted by Poch.

While some people happy are with us just signing backup to Harry Kane they should bear in mind we will be competing with a team that has Aguero but are also in advanced negotiations to buy Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

While some people happy are with us just signing backup to Harry Kane they should bear in mind we will be competing with a team that has Aguero but are also in advanced negotiations to buy Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Yet has a defence that leaks like a sieve and was hardly struggling for goals last season... In fact as much as I think aubameyang is a very good player he will still have to settle in the league and it will be detrimental to their own youngsters development like Innancho

Yet has a defence that leaks like a sieve and was hardly struggling for goals last season... In fact as much as I think aubameyang is a very good player he will still have to settle in the league and it will be detrimental to their own youngsters development like Innancho

DO you honestly think Pep will not improve that defence in the summer?

Besides Aubameyang will simply replace Wilfred Boney who has been pants for them. As for Innancho, 3 strikers for 4 tournaments tells me he will have enough games. Besides have you forgotten how injury prone Aguero has been over the past few years. They may have scored a lot of goals but you will find that when Aguero was out injured they struggled and then when Aguero was fit they scored lots.

And remember not all players need a season to settle. Innancho may also probably be playing in the olympics for Nigeria and may well miss the start of the season

Naija raises a good point. We need to increase the quality of the team not maintain it for next season.

Naija raises a good point. We need to increase the quality of the team not maintain it for next season.

The others, apart from maybe Liverpool, are in spirals of decline. Just by holding our nerve and having stability we will increase the gap from the chaotic clubs.

We will need to go in the red this window if we don't want to fall behind as we do not have enough players to sell to make the kind of money we need to spend.

If we do not upgrade the squad then we have missed a real chance.

Outs

Carrol
Mason
Fazio
Chadli

In my ideal world

In's

Kovacic
Wanyama
That Jaansen fella
Maybe another wing forward

We will need to go in the red this window if we don't want to fall behind as we do not have enough players to sell to make the kind of money we need to spend.

If we do not upgrade the squad then we have missed a real chance.

Outs

Carrol
Mason
Fazio
Chadli

In my ideal world

In's

Kovacic
Wanyama
That Jaansen fella
Maybe another wing forward

We can balance the books easy enough with the Townsend money factored in, e.g..

In: Janssen (£12m), Bazoer (£15m) = £27m
Out: Townsend money (£12m), Carroll (free), Fazio (£1m), Yedlin (£2m), Pritchard (£5m), Chadli (£12m) = £32m

The others, apart from maybe Liverpool, are in spirals of decline. Just by holding our nerve and having stability we will increase the gap from the chaotic clubs.

I knew me agreeing with you would not last long :)

You need to realise that despite Arsenal's so called decline they have managed to finish above us for 20 season in a row. I think Pep will be furnished with unlimited funds to buy whoever he wants to arrest this so called decline. And I am pretty sure Jose has a fair few pennies to spend this summer
This is the best time for us to improve our squad, I am not saying sign 7 players as per post Bale, but rather 3 signings, maximum 4 to increase the core quality of our squad.

We can balance the books easy enough with the Townsend money factored in, e.g..

In: Janssen (£12m), Bazoer (£15m) = £27m
Out: Townsend money (£12m), Carroll (free), Fazio (£1m), Yedlin (£2m), Pritchard (£5m), Chadli (£12m) = £32m

Who is Bazoer? Is he on Potch's list?

Personally after finishing 3rd and with the new tv deal I am not convinced "balancing" the books this summer is the way to go because I think no other club in the top 10 will be "balancing" the books. Be on wages or transfer fees methinks nothing will be balanced. Although I am not saying we go crazy as we do have a stadium to finance.

I could have sworn Gutterboy had been telling us we had no chance of the title or even the top four as recent
as the end of the January transfer window, because money is king and Chelsea United etc will just buy their way back to the top - now he's telling us they're all in a spiral of decline and we don't even need to strengthen our first team to stay in front of them and that's despite them all replacing their under performing managers

I'm struggling to get to grips with such a dramatic shift in opinion - from one extreme to the other in a matter of weeks, impressive stuff really

Back