• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Regardless of availability I'm trying to think which players outside the top 6 teams could improve our best 15 or 16.

I'll kick off with Mahrez.

Burnley - None
Everton - None. Some interesting prospects but not anyone I think will really add to us.
Leicester - Mahrez would add to the first team. Maguire the squad. I like Ihenacho, even though he hasnt had a great year. And Grey seems a good player with development potential.
Saudi Sportswashing Machine - Lascelles probably their best player, not sure he would suit us though.
Palace - Zaha, obviously. And as GB said, Loftus-Cheek has caught the eye, I like him - being a Chelsea player though it wont happen.
Bournemouth - Ake is developing well, no one else there that appeals to me.
Watford - Hughes is one we have had interest in previously, and has grown this season. Richarlison seems to get attention. Both prospects?
Brighton - None.
West Ham - Ha ha ha next.
Huddersfield - None.
SCBC - Some talented players, but all in that "gamble" category. Lemina weve had interest in, Tadic, Bertrand could all pad out the squad.
Swansea - None.
West Brom - Burke was a real talent a while back, another "potential" one maybe?
Stoke - None.

Its not really an inspiring selection all in all...

Unless he's got a set release clause, then he'll be far too expensive for us. Plus doubt he'd want to join as a backup to Hugo.

Wasn't that pretty much exactly what people said about Vorm 4 years ago though? I appreciated though he was 30 then, and Butland is 25 now

I had a dream last night that we unveiled Modirc and Bale under a ‘coming home’ theme at the same time at the new stadium! Then again I also had a dream Lamela scores two from the bench a couple of weeks ago and that still hasn’t happened...
That'd be quite an effort. (Very) long range volley for the first, cheeky rabona for the second?

I don't think there's that many

There's players I like, but not who I'd prefer to our current options. E.g Lewis Cook, but he's not better than Dier and Wanyama. Or Harry Maguire, but he's not better than Alder, Verts and Sanchez.

I also like Loftus-Cheek and Fosu-Mensah at Palace, but they are obviously owned by top 6 clubs.

Yep I landed on Maguire when thinking about the worst case scenario of Toby leaving - a decent 3rd wheel with Verts and Sanchez.

Burnley - None
Everton - None. Some interesting prospects but not anyone I think will really add to us.
Leicester - Mahrez would add to the first team. Maguire the squad. I like Ihenacho, even though he hasnt had a great year. And Grey seems a good player with development potential.
Saudi Sportswashing Machine - Lascelles probably their best player, not sure he would suit us though.
Palace - Zaha, obviously. And as GB said, Loftus-Cheek has caught the eye, I like him - being a Chelsea player though it wont happen.
Watford - Hughes is one we have had interest in previously, and has grown this season. Richarlison seems to get attention. Both prospects?
Brighton - None.
Huddersfield - None.
SCBC - Some talented players, but all in that "gamble" category. Lemina weve had interest in, Tadic, Bertrand could all pad out the squad.
Swansea - None.
West Brom - Burke was a real talent a while back, another "potential" one maybe?
Stoke - None.

A lot of that I would agree with.

Ihenacho is an interesting one - proven himself a happy sub. Some will dislike the shout but he had a lot of potential 2 years back and there's such a small range of players that would come in and accept being 2nd choice to Harry. The 2nd striker is a bit of a headache situation, maybe we will just stick with Son as back up.

A lot of that I would agree with.

Ihenacho is an interesting one - proven himself a happy sub. Some will dislike the shout but he had a lot of potential 2 years back and there's such a small range of players that would come in and accept being 2nd choice to Harry. The 2nd striker is a bit of a headache situation, maybe we will just stick with Son as back up.

Son is a proven entity, and for me is the first choice back up.

We have tried strikers, they just havent worked. That said, if (unlikely) Ihenacho was available at a reasonable price Id be tempted to take a punt.

I suspect more that we will just have "attackers" and field 4-5 on any given match, rather than explicit 'Harry Kane backup'

Agree re. Maguire, think he's an excellent player. Jonny Evans is apparently available for £3m (heard this on 5live awhile back) so would be a good squad player imo. Doucoure (prob spelt that wrong) at Watford is someone we are supposed to have an interest in.

Only problem is hes a left sided CB and more of a Verts replacement, could do with an out and out CB...

It was discussed earlier in this thread I think, but Maguire has played RCB for most of his career and is right footed. He's just more versatile than those he plays alongside.

Burnley - None
Brighton - None.
Huddersfield - None.
Swansea - None.
Stoke - None.

I largely agree...

Burnley – Either of their keepers would make a good second choice for us IMO. Wood also seems a better battering ram type of centre forward than Llorente (although I wouldn't advocate us signing him).
Everton – A fit Seamus Colman would be an upgrade on either of our right backs I think.
Leicester – I agree with you on Mahrez and Maguire. I am not convinced about Inenacho though, I think he would really frustrate us, as his decision making is shocking sometimes, I would probably rather take Slimani as a Llorente replacement.
Saudi Sportswashing Machine - I agree with you regarding Lascelles. I thought that he looked superb when they beat Arsenal recently.
Palace - Agree with you completely on Zaha. He is the player that I think we should push the boat out for this summer. If we could sell Lamela for half of Zaha’s transfer fee then it would be a great move. Zaha makes things happen pretty much every time he gets the ball. He has pace, skill, movement and confidence, combines well with his team mates and has turned into a good finisher (unlike Lamela who you just know isn’t going to score when he goes through 1 on 1). Zaha constantly occupies two players, imagine the space that this would create for the likes of Eriksen and Dele.
The other Palace player that could work well for us is Van Arnholt. I have always been impressed with his attacking play.
Bournemouth - Agreed. They have a number of tidy players but none that I would be desperate for at Spurs.
Watford - Hughes is a player who has had promise for a number of years but has been held up by injuries. Assuming he has just been unlucky and doesn’t have a more serious problem then I would be happy to have him at Spurs.
Doucoure is another player that I think could add to our midfield options to compete with Dembele for a place in the team.
Brighton - Agreed. I think they are a well coached and well organised team, but I don’t think they have players who would improve us.
West Ham - I think Lanzini is a very good player and he would suit the way that we play much more than he suits West Ham’s defensive game. He is a player that could work as an Eriksen understudy. Arnautovic is also a good player but I don't think he would be worth the money to us that West Ham would demand for him. Declan Rice is the only other player there that I would be interested in, he clearly has a lot of talent and could become a superb centre half.
Huddersfield - Agreed. Nobody there that really stands out.
SCBC – Lemina could be an option for Dembele competition. I don’t see anyone else there who would improve us.
Swansea - Mawson has something about him and could develop into an excellent centre half IMO.
West Brom – Evans would be a good option for anyone IMO.
Stoke – Agreed. Nobody there that I would be wanting us to sign.

No blinkers
Just plenty for experience of playing on goal
de Gea is outstanding as a shot stopper
Everything else’s he is average at

Entitled to your opinion. Best keeper in the league by a country mile ... If he is average at everything else .... says alot of others in goal.

Entitled to your opinion. Best keeper in the league by a country mile ... If he is average at everything else .... says alot of others in goal.

Id argue that Ederson is better personally
His all round game is 8/10

Where as de gea excels at the shot stopping but never leaves his 6 hard box

Imagine him in an attacking side that plays a high line... the gaps would be massive

Back