• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Two questions you need to ask yourself:

1) We are lining up in the FA Cup Final against Emirates Marketing Project in May 2019, who do you want up top next to The HarriKane?

2) We are lining up in the Champions League Final against Real Madrid in May 2019, who do you want up top next to The HarriKane?

I like Zaha but he is not a player who would take us to the next level next season. Who would we drop from the first team for him? I would see him as improving our back up/rotation options.

I like Zaha but he is a bit like Lucas, lots of talent for sure but not top top level where we would have to consider dropping a current player to get him in the team. I also like Sessegnon but he is completely unproven at the top level.

With the lucas signing I think we were going down the path of signing someone who could do the "Salah" thing for us next season. If we are looking for that then I think Martial is the only one who we could afford the fee for that could do that sort of thing.

Two questions you need to ask yourself:

1) We are lining up in the FA Cup Final against Emirates Marketing Project in May 2019, who do you want up top next to The HarriKane?

2) We are lining up in the Champions League Final against Real Madrid in May 2019, who do you want up top next to The HarriKane?

I would probably just say to myself what a fantastic season we were having after Poch left for PSG and Sherwood was reappointed.

I like Zaha but he is not a player who would take us to the next level next season. Who would we drop from the first team for him? I would see him as improving our back up/rotation options.

Son. Or Even Alli when the occasion is right. Name a player, who is gettable, that would in your opinion "take us to another level"?

Son. Or Even Alli when the occasion is right. Name a player, who is gettable, that would in your opinion "take us to another level"?

I think that it will be difficult to sign players who will immediately improve our first team this summer. I would be content with continuing to improve the squad. I think that would continue to move us forward as it would give us more options for rotating through the busier parts of the season. But I am inherently sceptical about magic bullet solutions.

I think that Zaha would be a useful squad addition but he is on £120k a week at Palace which, I think, makes a deal difficult. Martial and Bale would be great additions but again, I think that wages would be a problem and there are likely to be richer clubs interested in them.

Maybe see if Monaco would sell Tielmans as a long term Dembele replacement? I don't think they will or if they do probably out of our price bracket given he cost them 25m euros only a year ago and may well star in the world cup.

The Star

Tottenham news: Mauricio Pochettino prepares £30m bid for Southampton ace Ryan Bertrand

TOTTENHAM are set to launch £30m summer move for England star Ryan Bertrand.
By David Woods, Chief Football Writer / Published 4th May 2018

Mauricio Pochettino sees the Southampton left-back as the ideal replacement for Danny Rose, who is expected to quit with Manchester United his likely destination.

Bertrand, 28, would compete for the position with Ben Davies.

And it’s understood that Saints won’t stand in his way.

A £30m sale would represent a healthy profit for Saints who picked up Bertrand for just £10m from Chelsea in 2015.

Pochettino is also considering a deal for Swansea defender Alfie Mawson.

Swansea have put a £50m price tag on Mawson, who was called up into the last England squad.

But that has not put off the Spurs boss as he lines up a potential replacement for centre-half Toby Alderweireld.

The Belgian, who is refusing to sign a new long-term deal, has barely had a look-in this year and could leave at the end of the season.

Chelsea are among his admirers while big-spending Paris St-Germain also in the running for his signature.

I like Bertrand, decent and functional left back - could flourish under Poch. And he is a CL winner, so that should satisfy those desperate for "winners mentality" ;)

Mawson Im far less convinced on, especially at that money.

I think we are reaching a point where we need to think in terms of "squad" and not "team".

For me its all options, and the idea of Zaha running at deep lying teams and causing chaos makes me very happy.

Its not about who we drop for who, its more about who is better for whatever job.

Imagine playing a counter attacking game with Moura, Son and Zaha as a front 3!

We have dropped many points this season when not being able to make changes that actually change the match, Zaha fits that bill perfectly for me. He would be a starter, he would be on the bench, we have many many games...

Exactly

Players like Martial and Zaha aren't anywhere near as good as Alli and Son. They are just shinny new toys.

The Star

Tottenham news: Mauricio Pochettino prepares £30m bid for Southampton ace Ryan Bertrand

TOTTENHAM are set to launch £30m summer move for England star Ryan Bertrand.
By David Woods, Chief Football Writer / Published 4th May 2018

Mauricio Pochettino sees the Southampton left-back as the ideal replacement for Danny Rose, who is expected to quit with Manchester United his likely destination.

Bertrand, 28, would compete for the position with Ben Davies.

And it’s understood that Saints won’t stand in his way.

A £30m sale would represent a healthy profit for Saints who picked up Bertrand for just £10m from Chelsea in 2015.

Pochettino is also considering a deal for Swansea defender Alfie Mawson.

Swansea have put a £50m price tag on Mawson, who was called up into the last England squad.

But that has not put off the Spurs boss as he lines up a potential replacement for centre-half Toby Alderweireld.

The Belgian, who is refusing to sign a new long-term deal, has barely had a look-in this year and could leave at the end of the season.

Chelsea are among his admirers while big-spending Paris St-Germain also in the running for his signature.

I like Bertrand, decent and functional left back - could flourish under Poch. And he is a CL winner, so that should satisfy those desperate for "winners mentality" ;)

Mawson Im far less convinced on, especially at that money.

I think Bertrand is poor. And why on earth would we spend £30m on a 28YO to cover for Davies in the cups?

I think Bertrand is poor. And why on earth would we spend £30m on a 28YO to cover for Davies in the cups?

Bertrand is a downgrade on Davies. No thanks.

I like him, I think he is decent - but Im not saying he is top class or anything like that.

Rose has been near useless this year and is expected to leave, if we ended up with Davies/Bertrand instead of Davies/Rose Id be happy enough.

Thats not to say I wouldnt want to do even better if possible. Talk yesterday was of Tierney which sounds more interesting.

I think we are reaching a point where we need to think in terms of "squad" and not "team".

For me its all options, and the idea of Zaha running at deep lying teams and causing chaos makes me very happy.

Its not about who we drop for who, its more about who is better for whatever job.

Imagine playing a counter attacking game with Moura, Son and Zaha as a front 3!

We have dropped many points this season when not being able to make changes that actually change the match, Zaha fits that bill perfectly for me. He would be a starter, he would be on the bench, we have many many games...

I agree which I was disagreeing with the point of a single signing taking us to the next level. I would be surprised if a player like that was attainable this summer because our first team is very good and we are likely to be outbid for any player good enough to go straight into it.

I agree that Zaha would be a good squad option and that this is where we should focus this summer. I do think that his wages at Palace could be a problem, his basic is more than any of our players are on and I am not sure that we should have a squad player at the top of our pay structure.

Bertrand is a downgrade on Davies. No thanks.
Not sure about your definition of downgrade, but he can actually burst past players with the ball in the same way Rose did in his prime and can defend. He is way more dynamic than Davies, and I really like Davies....

28 years as well. I hope not.
28 years old so hes in his prime no? I dont know any other top club that doesnt sign players in their peak, so if we are in a position where we can afford to do that and not just go for speculative buys then good for us....

28 years old so hes in his prime no? I dont know any other top club that doesnt sign players in their peak, so if we are in a position where we can afford to do that and not just go for speculative buys then good for us....

The physicality needed by FBs in our system mean Walker and Rose were pretty much broken before they got to 28

Sessegnon is the player we need to replace Rose. cover for Davies plus an exciting AM/WF option the rest of the time. He's the one to break the bank for

Back