• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

The physicality needed by FBs in our system mean Walker and Rose were pretty much broken before they got to 28

Sessegnon is the player we need to replace Rose. cover for Davies plus an exciting AM/WF option the rest of the time. He's the one to break the bank for
I thought Walker was having a good season before he was dropped, maybe my mind is playing tricks - he doesn't look any worse physically at Emirates Marketing Project either so I question he is broken.

The physicality needed by FBs in our system mean Walker and Rose were pretty much broken before they got to 28

Sessegnon is the player we need to replace Rose. cover for Davies plus an exciting AM/WF option the rest of the time. He's the one to break the bank for
That was a generic response rather than one specifically to the LB position. We cant keep not wanting to sign players just because they're over the age of 23/4 because they wont have much resale potential....

I thought Walker was having a good season before he was dropped, maybe my mind is playing tricks - he doesn't look any worse physically at Emirates Marketing Project either so I question he is broken.

His hip was screwed and he was being managed through one game a week. Similar to Dembele.

That was a generic response rather than one specifically to the LB position. We cant keep not wanting to sign players just because they're over the age of 23/4 because they wont have much resale potential....

I think the fitness and intensity required for a Poch team will mean we will struggle to carry anyone approaching 30 (other than GKs).

We've started to see it with Rose, Dembele and Alder. Verts is perhaps the exception at the moment.

His hip was screwed and he was being managed through one game a week. Similar to Dembele.
He was upset about the perceived lack of playing time - was it not a case of the management imposing it rather than it being necessary? Looking at the playing stats he played 33 games (3rd most - same as the season before) this is even after he was dropped towards the end of the season.

I'd prefer us to get Shaw over Bertrand, worked with Poch before and has a lot to prove. Would likely be cheaper as well. The worry would be whether his injuries and lack of playing time have affected him too much but he's still only 22.

He was upset about the perceived lack of playing time - was it not a case of the management imposing it rather than it being necessary? Looking at the playing stats he played 33 games (3rd most - same as the season before) this is even after he was dropped towards the end of the season.

He was upset because Bertram was getting paid twice what he was. He was playing every weekend, but never midweek

I'd prefer us to get Shaw over Bertrand, worked with Poch before and has a lot to prove. Would likely be cheaper as well. The worry would be whether his injuries and lack of playing time have affected him too much but he's still only 22.

Why not just someone good instead? Or just keep Rose, seeing as his suitors have probably moved on now.

Its more that Bertrand is at his peak level and not really good enough to start for us and will unlikely get better. Were he 23/24 and had room to improve it would be a different proposition

I think that we'd play Sessegnon further forward if we sign him. It's where I see him having the most impact, it is lower risk and gives him the greatest chance of getting into goal scoring positions.

Two questions you need to ask yourself:

1) We are lining up in the FA Cup Final against Emirates Marketing Project in May 2019, who do you want up top next to The HarriKane?

2) We are lining up in the Champions League Final against Real Madrid in May 2019, who do you want up top next to The HarriKane?

p45268.png

Its more that Bertrand is at his peak level and not really good enough to start for us and will unlikely get better. Were he 23/24 and had room to improve it would be a different proposition
No I get that in the case of Bertrand, but for any player linked/suggested on this forum if hes over the age of 26 its always implied he's too old. As for Bertrand Id argue he is good enough to start, especially if we wanted our FBs to be penetrating the wings again.....

No I get that in the case of Bertrand, but for any player linked/suggested on this forum if hes over the age of 26 its always implied he's too old. As for Bertrand Id argue he is good enough to start, especially if we wanted our FBs to be penetrating the wings again.....

Same reason - most older players we are linked to aren't really top level players and have little potential to improve to that higher level, with younger players there is the chance they can reach that level eventually

Not sure about your definition of downgrade, but he can actually burst past players with the ball in the same way Rose did in his prime and can defend. He is way more dynamic than Davies, and I really like Davies....

As for Bertrand Id argue he is good enough to start, especially if we wanted our FBs to be penetrating the wings again.....

I know it's a dirty word around here but his stats for "successful take-ons" over the past three seasons don't seem to suggest he's that type of player:

per 90 minutes: (most recent season first)

Bertrand - 0.52 / 0.50 / 0.53
Davies - 0.59 / 0.41 / 0.41
Rose - 1.31 / 1.47 / 1.18

I think Bertrand is a solid conventional full back but not much more.

I know it's a dirty word around here but his stats for "successful take-ons" over the past three seasons don't seem to suggest he's that type of player:

per 90 minutes: (most recent season first)

Bertrand - 0.52 / 0.50 / 0.53
Davies - 0.59 / 0.41 / 0.41
Rose - 1.31 / 1.47 / 1.18

I think Bertrand is a solid conventional full back but not much more.
Probably because Bertrand constantly from what Ive seen takes on the opposition whereas Davies practically never does so Davies should really have an even better record than Bertrand. Fair play on the Rose stats though, would love to get him revitalised....

Those figures are completed take ons, not a percentage so he succeeds in a take on as often as Davies does, not sure if your logic is supposed to make him sound better because he fails more often but im not getting it if so

Walker... broken?!?

I think the fitness and intensity required for a Poch team will mean we will struggle to carry anyone approaching 30 (other than GKs).

We've started to see it with Rose, Dembele and Alder. Verts is perhaps the exception at the moment.
Since when have we seen this with Alderweireld? He pulled his hamstring and has been dropped since then clearly due to his contractual issues. There was absolutely nothing wrong with his performances this season prior to his injury (and nothing wrong with his performance against Brighton after coming back either)

Those figures are completed take ons, not a percentage so he succeeds in a take on as often as Davies does, not sure if your logic is supposed to make him sound better because he fails more often but im not getting it if so
Well its like anything risk related - if one player is taking on a player ten times in a game and another player takes on a player twice in a game and they have around the same success rate then the player who is taking on players more often is the more productive. But if as you say its a figure and not a %success rate which I took it to be then yes its irrelevant....

Just to chime in that I agree Bertrand is not a penetrative player (nor was Clyne before him) but probably seems more due to watching only his best bits on MOTD - I have been guilty of this and then speaking to fans of the team giving me a different view.

Back