• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

It could happen but I would be surprised. I think that it is a bit specious to speculate on what McDermott may or may not think or what position he is in to influence Poch.

I do not think that Onomah would be an immediate upgrade on Sissoko, and I say that as someone who sees upgrading on Sissoko as one of this summer's priorities.

I've seen Onomah control a ball at least once. That's an upgrade for me ;)

Schalke have confirmed Arsenal target Max Meyer will leave this summer.

Meyer has refused to sign a new deal with the German club.

The Gunners face competition from PSG for the midfielder.

Meyer will definitely leave Schalke this summer. We’re dealing with the situation very professionally.
It’s all been very amicable.

One many have suggested here, I wonder what interest there really is?

It might be a bit lazy, but I just see too many similarities with Holtby

Tottenham are still looking at the possibility of signing Barcelona midfielder Andre Gomes, and are one of a number of clubs chasing the 24-year-old, including fellow Londoners West Ham. The Portuguese hasn't had the best of times since moving to Catalonia, but will have no shortage of suitors this summer. (Mundo Deportivo)

The rumour that just wont go away

I've seen Onomah control a ball at least once. That's an upgrade for me ;)

It's a funny response because we all know that Sissoko is a bit brick at football but the truth is that Poch has never trusted Onomah in games to the same degree that he has Sissoko this season and I do not see anything from Onomah's loan that is likely to have changed that.

I always liked Holtby.

Lad had no idea about managing his fitness/stamina in-game but I always thought there was a player in there.
Agree, but then I seem to think this about quite a few players at Spurs but when they leave they hardly set the world alight. I also liked Ghaly, but he didn’t do anything since and also Kevin Prince Boeteng - he at least went to AC Milan and looked decent I guess...

Tottenham are still looking at the possibility of signing Barcelona midfielder Andre Gomes, and are one of a number of clubs chasing the 24-year-old, including fellow Londoners West Ham. The Portuguese hasn't had the best of times since moving to Catalonia, but will have no shortage of suitors this summer. (Mundo Deportivo)

It may be that he just doesn't suit Barcelona's style of play? He looked fantastic at Valencia prior to his big move.

Please noooooooooooo

Agree, but then I seem to think this about quite a few players at Spurs but when they leave they hardly set the world alight. I also liked Ghaly, but he didn’t do anything since and also Kevin Prince Boeteng - he at least went to AC Milan and looked decent I guess...

KPB had talent but never the head for it, which I think has been proven.

Others, much like Ghaly, I think its almost a case of bad timing. If they had come in a little earlier/later under a different manager things could have been so different.

Can you imagine how much Poch would have loved Holtby's tenacity?

It may be that he just doesn't suit Barcelona's style of play? He looked fantastic at Valencia prior to his big move.

Hands up - I know almost nothing of the player*. No judgement in that respect from me.

My comment was more - this rumour just wont die down. Its been persistent for 3 or 4 windows now...

*Watched the obligatory YouTube videos when linked a while back, at Barca he seemed unimpressive but at Valencia I can certainly see what we might like about him. Cant say Ive ever watched him in a match though, and I wonder after Barca if he can recapture his good form? He has basically had 2 years sitting on his hands hasnt he?

Hopefully it'll happen. Very talented player who was amazing at Valencia. Difficult for him to have looked good at Barca given that he's rarely got off the bench

Hopefully it'll happen. Very talented player who was amazing at Valencia. Difficult for him to have looked good at Barca given that he's rarely got off the bench

As I said before - I dont doubt his talent and really wasnt commenting from that angle.

But as you bring it up, do you not think its a gamble to go for a player in the hope he can refind form of 2 years ago?

Many players have that sort of time without regular football and are just never the same again.

Honestly, Kovacic is out of our league - he's being increasingly trusted by ZZ this year so don't see any chance that he'd leave, let alone to join us

The papers seem to think he's going back to Inter this summer, unless we can convince him differently. £37m the reported price

As I said before - I dont doubt his talent and really wasnt commenting from that angle.

But as you bring it up, do you not think its a gamble to go for a player in the hope he can refind form of 2 years ago?

Many players have that sort of time without regular football and are just never the same again.

It's the van der Vaart/Moura model of signings though, which has worked for us

VDV had more game time than Gomes has, and was more experienced at that point as well. Very much a known quantity.

From what I can make out Gomes has effectively taken a sabatical at a key point in his development.

It is possible we sign him and we see the player who was quality at Valencia, but my worry is its also possible we sign him and get a player whose career has stalled and he cant get any momentum going again...

Back