• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

There is a spot at CB/CM potentially up for grabs due to injury.

Why must a player accept the bench?

Why do we want a player like that?

The starting 11 argument is the most flawed argument I’ve seen.

Going into last season Toby/Rose/Wanyama would have been in most people’s strongest 11 , how many games did they play?

Same with Dembele to a lesser extent.

Are players not going to lose form? Stay injury free? Be able to play every game?

Which players we have been linked with would get into the strongest 11?

I think you have a too much Spurs perspective. Try to see it from the a player perspetive, an random player that have an offer from another club (Spurs) on the table. What is the possiblities and risk for him to move to Spurs? That player a certain position at a certain club today. They playe might enjoy his current postion, or not. The current club might, from the players postion, be considered as a better club than Spurs. Or not.

All those are parameters gives that those kind of players that really will improve Spurs from day one are hesitating. That is my feeling, at least.

Although im more on BoLs side of the fence on this topic i think you're arguing position well Deano but have to take slight exception to the above - i have us down as 3rd behind City and Liverpool, potentially Chelsea will improve under the new guy but i think they have a few problems still regarding their team/squad and i expect United to struggle as i think their position relative to.their performance last year was a mismatch, they haven't really improved and and Mourinho looks set to implode. So for me top 4 is still very much on the cards.

With regards to the team breaking up i think that's inevitable for a side in our position - the key will be to sell at the right time and to have learned our lesson from the Bale window and reinvest the money in one or two top talents, like how Liverpool have done recently - with forward planning we can turn losing a big player in to a positive.

I don’t disagree on your first point. City are the only side clearly ahead of us. Liverpool look better but are unproven. Jose looks like he’s going to implode but you’d never count him out. Chelsea and Arsenal are unknown quantities to an extent. Chelsea look to be having a good close to the window. Everton are dark horses. They may not crack the top 4 as they still look unbalanced but they could just have one of those seasons and I like their manager.

So, for me, getting top 4 would be a great achievement especially with an unfamiliar new home if we don’t strengthen. We have a good shot at it but it’s far from certain.

On your last point, again you’re right but it’s not easy to reinvest well. We had 4-5 misses with the Bale money and 2-3 hits. We’ve done great with this squad but been a bit fortunate too. For instance, no one really had Kane down as our future star striker 4-5 years ago. Alli developed far more quickly than anticipated. Dier was never bought for midfield. Some of that is down to great management but we’re in a position now that I think is perfect to capitalize on and it could take a lot of time and money to get back here if it slips through our fingers.

I think you have a too much Spurs perspective. Try to see it from the a player perspetive, an random player that have an offer from another club (Spurs) on the table. What is the possiblities and risk for him to move to Spurs? That player a certain position at a certain club today. They playe might enjoy his current postion, or not. The current club might, from the players postion, be considered as a better club than Spurs. Or not.

All those are parameters gives that those kind of players that really will improve Spurs from day one are hesitating. That is my feeling, at least.

Based purely on rumours of course but:

We need 4/5 (not all at once) players to replace Rose/Toby/Dembele - all told they can go.

Wanyama potentially going the way of Sandro/Sissoko being Sissoko.

We want players that think they are better, we’ve seen what happens with Llorente and Janssen are happy to sit on the bench.

You take Dembele/Wanyama out and it’s not hard to upgrade on Sissoko

I’m not wanting us to spend 200 million, but we should be able to spend 60-70 on one/Two players.

We need 4/5 (not all at once) players to replace Rose/Toby/Dembele - all told they can go.

We want players that think they are better, we’ve seen what happens with Llorente and Janssen are happy to sit on the bench.

I’m not wanting us to spend 200 million, but we should be able to spend 60-70 on one/Two players.

Again, I take the perspective of a player that currently consider an offer from Spurs: How should he consider rumours circulating about the club? That is the decision he must take. Of course Poch have explained the clubs situation to him, but I´m doubt that Poch explains the situation of other players.

My biggest concern for the season is the fitness of Wanyama and Dembele. Take both those out for a sustained period and we are threadbare in CM. That’s without factoring in the possible departure of Dembele.

We won't sign anyone (good), and sell a few to foreign clubs later, leaving us short when injuries pile up. Serious mid table fears.

We won't sign anyone (good), and sell a few to foreign clubs later, leaving us short when injuries pile up. Serious mid table fears.

I’m not at that level yet but I am concerned about the increased talk of outs as opposed to ins. The out talk has actually got me into thinking a day of no activity at all might be a success!

Looks like right now we won't be making many changes this summer or winter. It's next summer where the big changes will take place imo

I've mentioned it in another thread but some of our players are running down their contracts so that next year they either walk away for free (Dembele, Vertonghen,) or have one year left on their deals meaning we will have to sell on the cheap (Alderweireld and Eriksen). 4 big players, 4 big holes in the squad to fill with very little money considering how expensive everything is in the market

Assessing the market as it is, the types of players we are linked to, and the transfer fees and salaries we offer, this is the type of side I expect to see lining up at the start of the 2019/2020 season

Butland
Trippier Sanchez. DeLigt Davies
Dier Cook
Moura Grealish Dele
Kane​

Who: The Goat
When: Deadline Day
Where: SC

The Goat hears that we will make one last bid for Grealish take it or leave it offer which will be above the 25m we were told they would accept.
If not will move on for good.........

The Goat also hears that we expect 2 in today with up to 4 out

https://www.football.london/tottenh...tial-alderweireld-surprise-tottenham-15006865

Grealish, Martial, Alderweireld and a surprise - Tottenham Hotspur's deadline day transfer plans
Who will come in and who could go out?

By
Alasdair GoldTottenham Hotspur Correspondent
  • 07:00, 9 AUG 2018
So, deadline day is here and Tottenham Hotspur have still not signed a single player this summer.

Premier League spending continues to soar, but Spurs and their chairman Daniel Levy have yet to part with any cash despite having months to identify and secure their targets.

The fans are getting frustrated and venting their anger across social media, but Levy and Tottenham love some deadline day action. It's when the Spurs chairman seems to come alove

So what can we expect from the Lilywhites today? We asked Spurs reporter Alasdair Gold to look into his crystal ball...

Who will Tottenham be linked with today?

Jack Grealish, Anthony Martial and I reckon a new name will suddenly emerge in the afternoon. The words Wilfried Zaha will probably be thrown about as well as time ticks down close to that 5pm deadline.

There will be a whole host of names sprinkled in amongst them throughout the day no doubt as agents look to use Spurs to worry or entice other clubs into moving for their clients.

What do the fans want?

A signing would be nice! Seriously, Tottenham fans want the club to make signings to improve Mauricio Pochettino's first team and they want the club to spend big to do it.

I think most fans would be happy with Martial or a late move for Zaha, although I don't think Spurs will move for the Palace man unless they get desperate.

Mateo Kovacic of course is a player every Tottenham fan would love to see pull on the shirt, but he appears to be heading across the capital to Chelsea.

What do you think will happen today?
Spurs will make every effort to get Grealish. The player is unhappy that he hasn't been allowed to move and he fits the homegrown bill for Tottenham.

I still believe there will be a player that Spurs have kept close to their chest who will join late on. I don't think Daniel Levy will admit defeat on an entire summer without a single transfer. It would mark a disastrous few months for Tottenham in terms of making new signings.

Whether Toby Alderweireld moves to United depends on where the two clubs' relationship is at tomorrow. Spurs have another three weeks to sell him to foreign clubs if United don't meet their demands.

I reckon Spurs will have made two signings by the time 5pm rolls around. The fans will just have to hope they are signings that Pochettino is truly happy with, not just panic buys.

My biggest concern for the season is the fitness of Wanyama and Dembele. Take both those out for a sustained period and we are
Looks like right now we won't be making many changes this summer or winter. It's next summer where the big changes will take place imo

I've mentioned it in another thread but some of our players are running down their contracts so that next year they either walk away for free (Dembele, Vertonghen,) or have one year left on their deals meaning we will have to sell on the cheap (Alderweireld and Eriksen). 4 big players, 4 big holes in the squad to fill with very little money considering how expensive everything is in the market

Assessing the market as it is, the types of players we are linked to, and the transfer fees and salaries we offer, this is the type of side I expect to see lining up at the start of the 2019/2020 season

Butland
Trippier Sanchez. DeLigt Davies
Dier Cook
Moura Grealish Dele
Kane​

I think we will be going 4-3-3 with Eriksen / Alli / Grealish / Winks / Skipp having a slightly free role either side of a DM

Back