• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Ah I see, thanks and that makes sense then. I only knew him from the WC, not a great basis on which to judge any player whose agent is hawking them around!

He is a proper old school defender i think, big strong in the air and fast but totally the wrong fit for Barcelona and indeed us. TBH Mourinho only wants his defenders to defend so United in that sense would be perfect.

He is a proper old school defender i think, big strong in the air and fast but totally the wrong fit for Barcelona and indeed us. TBH Mourinho only wants his defenders to defend so United in that sense would be perfect.

I'm with you on that. I hadnt seen him before the World Cup but feels like one of those signings which would be made purely on the basis of the WC. He seemed to me like someone who when up against a nippy attacker would get beaten time and time again

I think we're in for a massive disappointment. Not only today, but for the season.

I have already seen quite a few calls for explanations about how the club has fudged up the window, blaming Levy etc tho i think thats best saved for post 5pm debate.

Which world class player woud like to come to us and sit on the bench? We don't have the money to "convince" they to to do.

There is no obvious free spot in our starting lineup at the moment and all possible tagets know that. They also know that Poch have a history of not giving newcomers freedom directly.

So the players we can sign must accept the bench. Either they are upcoming men that know that their time will come or playes that have past their peak and just woud like to enough the rid.

Which world class player woud like to come to us and sit on the bench? We don't have the money to "convince" they to to do.

There is no obvious free spot in our starting lineup at the moment and all possible tagets know that. They also know that Poch have a history of not giving newcomers freedom directly.

So the players we can sign must accept the bench. Either they are upcoming men that know that their time will come or playes that have past their peak and just woud like to enough the rid.

Surely we all thought that when we signed Sissoko and he featured way too many times last season for anyone to be comfortable?

The days of it being an 11 man game ended 20 years ago, and I dont think anyone is talking about 'world class' signings

There is a spot at CB/CM potentially up for grabs due to injury.

Why must a player accept the bench?

Why do we want a player like that?

The starting 11 argument is the most flawed argument I’ve seen.

Going into last season Toby/Rose/Wanyama would have been in most people’s strongest 11 , how many games did they play?

Same with Dembele to a lesser extent.

Are players not going to lose form? Stay injury free? Be able to play every game?

Which players we have been linked with would get into the strongest 11?

But, as fans, we probably have to accept that this side will do exceptionally well to reach the top 4 and will break up overthe next few years.

Although im more on BoLs side of the fence on this topic i think you're arguing position well Deano but have to take slight exception to the above - i have us down as 3rd behind City and Liverpool, potentially Chelsea will improve under the new guy but i think they have a few problems still regarding their team/squad and i expect United to struggle as i think their position relative to.their performance last year was a mismatch, they haven't really improved and and Mourinho looks set to implode. So for me top 4 is still very much on the cards.

With regards to the team breaking up i think that's inevitable for a side in our position - the key will be to sell at the right time and to have learned our lesson from the Bale window and reinvest the money in one or two top talents, like how Liverpool have done recently - with forward planning we can turn losing a big player in to a positive.

Although im more on BoLs side of the fence on this topic i think you're arguing position well Deano but have to take slight exception to the above - i have us down as 3rd behind City and Liverpool, potentially Chelsea will improve under the new guy but i think they have a few problems still regarding their team/squad and i expect United to struggle as i think their position relative to.their performance last year was a mismatch, they haven't really improved and and Mourinho looks set to implode. So for me top 4 is still very much on the cards.

With regards to the team breaking up i think that's inevitable for a side in our position - the key will be to sell at the right time and to have learned our lesson from the Bale window and reinvest the money in one or two top talents, like how Liverpool have done recently.

I agree with that looking at the numbers, but, the dippers are still going to play kloppball which will inevitably implode when teams sit deep against them and City will have to concentrate on the CL, I think we'll be right in it.

The days of it being an 11 man game ended 20 years ago
That dosen't help if you are the 15th player in the pecking order. Why move to Spurs if you are uncertain if the coach will field you in the most important games? We cannot convince them with extra money, you know.

I dont think anyone is talking about 'world class' signings
No one? Just read on the official facebook and Twitter account. And honestly, to improve our starting lineup, you need to be world class.

And all that is fair enough mate. It’s different than my view but I see your logic.

On the wages, I’m not advocating that we go to Liverpool’s level in absolute terms. I’m talking about going there relatively. 57% of our turnover is a lot less than 57% of their turnover. But it still gives us an extra 58m. We’ve given Kane 5 of that. There would still be a tonne of money left for the rest. Give the 25 man squad an extra 30k on average a week and you still have enough left over for a couple of 200k a week players. And that’s not banking on CL money because even if we lose that, the stadium will bring in enough to plug the gap.

Levy has his strategy here. I think he’s wrong and too risk averse but time will prove him right or wrong and he’s earned the chance to do that. But, as fans, we probably have to accept that this side will do exceptionally well to reach the top 4 and will break up over the next few years.
I think you and @BrainOfLevy make valid points but the overarching point is, within the way we're operating (and whatever way that is) we must keep the manager happy. He is more valuable than any player.

We are clearly overacheiving, and so often that it feels like top 3 finishes are the norm. Imo, if Poch went we'd find life much tougher, not saying we can't find a man to fill his boots, but we have a golden one now, so keep him happy.

I think Poch just gets tinkled of when (and it could just be media) people put on him about the teams shortcomings when he feels he's getting the maximum he can and working all ours to sustain our remarkable level.

I think you and @BrainOfLevy make valid points but the overarching point is, within the way we're operating (and whatever way that is) we must keep the manager happy. He is more valuable than any player.

We are clearly overacheiving, and so often that it feels like top 3 finishes are the norm. Imo, if Poch went we'd find life much tougher, not saying we can't find a man to fill his boots, but we have a golden one now, so keep him happy.

I think Poch just gets tinkled of when (and it could just be media) people put on him about the teams shortcomings when he feels he's getting the maximum he can and working all ours to sustain our remarkable level.

The media won’t change their tune until we win a trophy, and they certainly won’t change it after what they will see as the failings of this window.

Back