• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

We all know ( or should do anyway) that EVERY team can be improved on no matter who they are, the problem for us is that we are not in a posistion ( yet) to throw money about like the City's, Utd's, Chelski's ( notice i said yet). So it is hard for us to buy players who are better then what we have ( in the first team) because most of them will be out of our reach ( money and wages etc).

We can not compete with those clubs where money is no object ( yet), all we can do is look to players who are not wanted by the money doped clubs and to be honest they are not many around who are better then what we have. On my travels around i hear complaints from fans who think we are losing out on players when they sign for other teams ( bare in mind i am talking about players who will improve our first team) and they say we/Levy is not trying hard enough. Then they say that they know we were in for these players because they heard the ITK ( on various sites) say we are chasing them.

And that is the problem, there are so many fans who believe in these wanabees, neverwillbees, etc that they take it all in. So yes we may want to improve our squad but then we run the risk of these players not turning out as regular first teamers, and that is what has/will happen when you buy that type of player. I do understand the frustration of some fans but reality has to play a big part in our progress, and on a last note we all know ( or should do) that most transfers are a risk of
being a success anyway.

We all know ( or should do anyway) that EVERY team can be improved on no matter who they are, the problem for us is that we are not in a posistion ( yet) to throw money about like the City's, Utd's, Chelski's ( notice i said yet). So it is hard for us to buy players who are better then what we have ( in the first team) because most of them will be out of our reach ( money and wages etc).

We can not compete with those clubs where money is no object ( yet), all we can do is look to players who are not wanted by the money doped clubs and to be honest they are not many around who are better then what we have. On my travels around i hear complaints from fans who think we are losing out on players when they sign for other teams ( bare in mind i am talking about players who will improve our first team) and they say we/Levy is not trying hard enough. Then they say that they know we were in for these players because they heard the ITK ( on various sites) say we are chasing them.

And that is the problem, there are so many fans who believe in these wanabees, neverwillbees, etc that they take it all in. So yes we may want to improve our squad but then we run the risk of these players not turning out as regular first teamers, and that is what has/will happen when you buy that type of player. I do understand the frustration of some fans but reality has to play a big part in our progress, and on a last note we all know ( or should do) that most transfers are a risk of
being a success anyway.

THis is the thing, we are in a pretty unique position of being good enough that it takes Man Utd/Emirates Marketing Project/Top team level players to improve us, but we arent in a position to really compete financially to get them.

The pool of players available to us who are good enough to improve us is, IMO, very small.

Aside from which, I still think there is some changes needed from us fans.

We are used to NEEDING 4-5 players every window just to make the team whole. For how many years did we go into a window saying things like "If we can get a GK, CB, CM and Striker we could be pretty good!"?

Year after year there were big holes in the team (let alone squad), that if filled would see us step up a level.

We arent that team anymore. We have an excellent side, that has stepped up several levels from that point, which now needs 1-2 top(right) buys a year to keep it there. We dont need an overhaul, we dont need major surgery, we just need the right bit of quality in the right places each season to keep things competitive.

Ive said before, if we start the season with the same team that finished last we will be absolutely fine.

He must have.

While its a shame to lose talent, I admire anyone willing to go abroad to play. Its something British players havent done enough of.

Agree, if they're doing it for the right reasons (ie to further their footballing development, rather than because Lyon or whoever have offered to buy his parents a house or give him a few £k per week)

Last edited:
I’m Spurs through and through. Doesn’t mean I should be starting in a back three alongside Jan and Sanchez, though. :D

No but he does deserve some respect for all his efforts, he wasn't good enough but he always put in a shift, this club isn't just about now and big name players, the day it is I stop caring.

De Ligt and Martial have always seem likely and would feel quite Spurs-like and represent good signings.

The biggest concern I have is over the quality of a Dembele replacement given its such a key position for us and we don't have massive depth there, particularly with Winks seemingly not fit yet

Ever thought our transfer activity is slow due to waiting for players to have their holidays after the world cup which will stop them having a pre season anyway?

Back