• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Am I allowed to say 15 days to go?!?

Am sure someone will say that I'm a whinging, ungrateful fan however it's stark how every other club manages to get things done earlier in the window, but we either can't or decide not to do so. A few years ago the reason given for this was that we didnt have CL football to attract players, though that now isnt the case. Then there's the wages argument, though it feels we can be more competitive now if we want to be (and obviously that doesnt apply to selling players). Now there's the world cup argument, though we haven't really clicked into life since Hugo lifted the World Cup!!!

Its obviously impossible to prove either way whether we get better financial terms for buying or selling players by waiting til later in the window, so a lot of these debates are somewhat futile, but it clearly can't help our prospects in the league. One silver lining is that with the window closing earlier, we have fewer games happening whilst the window is still open, meaning that the downside of our approach is reduced

Tempted to start a poll for when our first (meaningful) transfer will happen.....

Am I allowed to say 15 days to go?!?

Am sure someone will say that I'm a whinging, ungrateful fan however it's stark how every other club manages to get things done earlier in the window, but we either can't or decide not to do so. A few years ago the reason given for this was that we didnt have CL football to attract players, though that now isnt the case. Then there's the wages argument, though it feels we can be more competitive now if we want to be (and obviously that doesnt apply to selling players). Now there's the world cup argument, though we haven't really clicked into life since Hugo lifted the World Cup!!!

Its obviously impossible to prove either way whether we get better financial terms for buying or selling players by waiting til later in the window, so a lot of these debates are somewhat futile, but it clearly can't help our prospects in the league. One silver lining is that with the window closing earlier, we have fewer games happening whilst the window is still open, meaning that the downside of our approach is reduced

Tempted to start a poll for when our first (meaningful) transfer will happen.....

Out of interest, where do you feel the squad needs to be strengthened?

Out of interest, where do you feel the squad needs to be strengthened?

I dont think we need huge strengthening at all - more just having a settled squad asap for pre-season. However the Toby/Dembele situations need sorting out, given they seem to be leaving and then we need decent quality replacements to come in. So that's 4 deals which need doing. The situations with Llorente, Janssen and GKN need sorting, so that's 3 more. Maybe Llorente will stay, so its 2 outgoings rather than 3.

So the above is 6-7 deals and kind of leaves us net neutral.

Then to your question on strengthening...we all have somewhat different views however I don't think we need much but my vote would be getting in someone either pace or dribbling ability in the final third to open up tight defences. We seem to keep being linked with pacey attackers, so maybe it'll happen. I do believe though that if you stand still in terms of quality, then you move backwards in the league as others will have added quality

I think instead of buying 6 id go for perhaps one or two youth players and get ample cover, two relative cheapos, and two genuinely top class talented players that would be knocking on the current regulars.

Upgrading in sissoko and keeping Toby along with a CM to cover dembele would be ample.

If Toby is to go there is enough talent in Mguire to cover sould Toby go Utd.

Would love Kovacic from Real even at a premium.

Lastly get Martial or Pulisic to give us real options up top should Harry get injured.

I think instead of buying 6 id go for perhaps one or two youth players and get ample cover, two relative cheapos, and two genuinely top class talented players that would be knocking on the current regulars.

Upgrading in sissoko and keeping Toby along with a CM to cover dembele would be ample.

If Toby is to go there is enough talent in Mguire to cover sould Toby go Utd.

Would love Kovacic from Real even at a premium.

Lastly get Martial or Pulisic to give us real options up top should Harry get injured.

Not sure whether that's a reply to me, but I dont think we need 6 in! One to replace each of TA and MD....and then ideally someone to strengthen. So 2-3 incomings. Janssen and GKN dont need replacing

I cannot see us bringing in a superstar signing as its too late in the day for him to have a pre season.

Can see us not signing anyone other than youngsters.

I highly recommend anyone that is worried to check out a list of this summer's signing - only lower mid table teams and Liverpool have made significant signings.
Most clubs are looking at "one or two"..... even Mourinho hasn't!

I highly recommend anyone that is worried to check out a list of this summer's signing - only lower mid table teams and Liverpool have made significant signings.

That is all right for you to say but i want to

upload_2018-7-25_23-21-44.jpeg

One of my best mates has texted me that Brighton will finish above us because they just broke their transfer record. Look who they brought.

I don't think 'significant' needs to be viewed in terms of numbers, more in terms of what a team needs. Some clubs will need a lot of signings however some, like us, just need tweaking so for them 'significant' would be say 1-2.

Utd dont need huge numbers. They've signed Fred; add a decent CB and they'll have improved a lot

Back