• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Assessing the Liverpool signings....(included Fekir).

Midfield will be any 3 of Henderson, Keita, Fabinho, Ox, Milner.

Forwards any 3 of Salah, Firminho, Mane, Fekir.

Lallana offering support to both groups (or maybe surplus!?).

Potentially 10 good players for 6 positions.

For comparison our 10 across midfield and attack are currently:

Wanyama
Dembele
Dier
Winks/Sissoko
Eriksen
Son
Lamela
Alli
Moura
Kane

Be interesting to see who we bring in to try and improve that 10.

Assessing the Liverpool signings....(included Fekir).

Midfield will be any 3 of Henderson, Keita, Fabinho, Ox, Milner.

Forwards any 3 of Salah, Firminho, Mane, Fekir.

Lallana offering support to both groups (or maybe surplus!?).

Potentially 10 good players for 6 positions.

For comparison our 10 across midfield and attack are currently:

Wanyama
Dembele
Dier
Winks/Sissoko
Eriksen
Son
Lamela
Alli
Moura
Kane

Be interesting to see who we bring in to try and improve that 10.

Both front lines are made up of pretty much the same player.

Liverpool pace pace pace

Spurs trickery and better footballers.

The only exceptions are Lucas for us and Firminho for them.

Unless that changes I can see the same issues for both sides this year.

Man Utd cannot stop Shaw from signing a contract with a new club. The tribuneral would then set the fee at some point after the player has signed for the new club. Typically clubs prefer to negotiate a price as opposed to letting it go to tribuneral, especially as there is a chance of the player signing for a club overseas and then the tribuneral fee being decided by the generic FIFA rules that are more prescriptive and result in far lower fees being payable (i.e. doing a Zekki Fryers).

Would we even need to pay anything if it went to the FA?

I thought it was only for players u24 that had been brought through by the club?

Levy started negotiating

He has?

At 34, I'd play him when we play a three and in the champions league and help him move into coaching by learning from Poch

Thats a fair shout, though I wonder if it would be enough for him? I still think its a bit of a reach. The mans entire career has been in Italy, where I think its fair to say the pace is MUCH lower.

Id feel terrible for him to come to the PL and get made a fool of.

Christian Pulisic's father calls Manchester United, Liverpool and Tottenham links 'hogwash'
By Michael Hincks
Last Updated: 30/05/18 9:06am

Christian Pulisic's father has labelled reports linking the Borussia Dortmund midfielder with Tottenham, Liverpool and Manchester United as "hogwash".

The American joined Dortmund as a 16-year-old in 2015, and has been a first-team regular at the Bundesliga club for the past two seasons.

On Monday, the Telegraph reported Tottenham were pondering a move for Pulisic, and though his father, Mark, played down the rumours, he told Sky Sports that the 19-year-old will sit down with Dortmund to discuss his future.

"He was linked to Tottenham. Last week it was Liverpool. The week before Man United. The week before this… it's hogwash," Pulisic said.

"He's linked with a different club every week. I have no idea. His agent right now is working and looking, in close relation with me and Christian, and we're just trying to see what the best phase of his next development will be.

"Now is the time that the season has just ended that we'll sit down with Dortmund, we'll sit down with, I don't know whether others clubs are in the mix, [and see what] Dortmund's idea is and their plans for Christian.

"But there's nothing concrete. Right now, Christian plays for Dortmund and that's where he is planning on playing again next year."

Christian Pulisic moved to Dortmund from the United States three years ago, with father Mark joining him in Germany as part of the coaching setup at the club's academy.

Mark has since returned stateside, where he is now assistant manager at United Soccer League side Pittsburgh Riverhounds, but he confirmed we will continue to talk with Christian, who will ultimately make the final call on his next step.

Asked if staying at Dortmund would be best for Christian's development, Mark replied: "I don't know. I wish I had the answer because life would then become very easy. But there's always change. You can think one thing, then you do it, and at the end of the day it wasn't the right thing.

"Football is crazy. You kind of have to go with the flow and make sure the player feels comfortable, whatever the decision is. There's no magic formula. Is it right to stay at Dortmund? Who knows. Is it right to move to another club? He might think it is, or someone else might think it is, but it might not be in part of his mind.

"The only thing we can do is continue to talk with him and make sure he's always in the loop of what's going on, present all the facts and the content of what can happen, or will happen. It's up to the player to make that final call."

Last week, Christian Pulisic admitted in an exclusive interview with NBC Sports that he once dreamed of playing in the Premier League, but insisted he was "very focused" on matters at Dortmund.

Mark Pulisic acknowledged his son "always aspired" to play in the Premier League, and conceded it's highly unlikely his son would remain at Dortmund for the remainder of the career.

He added: "I think the Premier League is a league he's always aspired to be in and play in. As a player nowadays, there are so few players staying at one club throughout a career. The chances of him moving to different clubs and different leagues is a high probability."

Meaningless blah blah or the typical "getting it out there" comments?

Tottenham Can not ignore Emre in Dembele replacement hunt

Mauricio Pochettino is reportedly an admirer of the 24-year-old free agent.

by Oli Stein
May 29, 2018May 29, 2018

If Emre Can does ultimately end up at Juventus, as has been reported since late 2017, then he most certainly won’t be a stranger to bitter defeats at the hands of Real Madrid. The German replaced James Milner in the 83rd minute of Saturday’s Champions League final, with Liverpool 3-1 down to the back-to-back-to-back champions.

There’s a chance, albeit slim, however, that Can could end up joining the Reds’ domestic rivals, Tottenham. In which case, he may yet just end up on the winning side against Los Blancos.

The Guardian, last week, reported that Mauricio Pochettino is “half-thinking” about making a late attempt to prise the 24-year-old away from the Old Lady.

Can Tottenham ignore Emre in their hunt for a Mousa Dembele successor?

Dembele’s successor
The most notable difference between Can and Dembele -and perhaps why he can’t be signed as a direct replacement for the Belgian- is ball retention.

Dembele’s USP as a footballer is his press resistance; the ability to use his natural strength to shield to the ball and retain possession in the face of a pressing opponent, typically attempting to take-on said player and find space behind.

A testament to this unique ability is the fact that he completed 66 take-ons in the Premier League, at a success rate of 88%. By contrast, Can completed less than a third as many (21), successful 72% of the time.

Dembele’s ball retention is a vital component of Pochettino’s system, with the Belgian used as a means of progressing the ball further up the pitch. Dembele’s passing accuracy, too, is something to be marvelled at, with the 30-year-old successful 92% of the time.

Given the importance afforded to Dembele in this respect, can Spurs compromise their style with a midfielder unable to retain possession as effectively?

What Can Emre offer?
Can, therefore, might not work effectively in a two-man midfield pivot alongside a defensive midfielder -namely Eric Dier or Victor Wanyama. The German’s best use comes in a three-man system, with a defensive midfielder and a more box-to-box player alongside him for balance.

This is because Can’s role is something akin to a deep-lying playmaker.

Different to Dembele, Can offers a more offensive threat in the final third. For instance, the German created 24 chances in the Premier League -eight more than Dembele- and assisted four goals. The Belgian, contrastingly, failed to register any.

Spurs need a creative presence in central midfield as, currently, too much emphasis is placed on Christian Eriksen to pull the strings from deep. With a creative threat in the centre, said burden is eased.

Can, too, is a goal-threat, something Spurs lack in their midfield. Dembele, for his brilliance, took just 11 shots in the Premier League, whilst Can attempted 26, over double. Eight of those came inside the penalty area, compared to one from the Belgian.

A two-trick pony
Perhaps Can’s most enticing attribute, however, is his all-roundedness. The 24-year-old has regularly covered Jordan Henderson at the base of Liverpool’s three-man midfield, whilst also performing a box-to-box role instead of Gini Wijnaldum.

Adept at playing as either a number six or eight, able to contribute both defensively and offensively, Can is a versatile midfielder and definitely a useful addition to Tottenham’s squad. Whilst not a direct replacement for Dembele, he could effectively support the Belgian, with other strings to his bow.

At 24, moreover, Can has potential and longevity on his side. With no money exchanging hands, if there’s any substance to this story, how could Spurs say no?

Interesting move. I like Can, very tidy footballer, and on a free I would be very happy to bring him in.

Not entirely sure I see him as a Dembele replacement, but he would bring something to the squad.

Tottenham Can not ignore Emre in Dembele replacement hunt

Mauricio Pochettino is reportedly an admirer of the 24-year-old free agent.

by Oli Stein
May 29, 2018May 29, 2018

If Emre Can does ultimately end up at Juventus, as has been reported since late 2017, then he most certainly won’t be a stranger to bitter defeats at the hands of Real Madrid. The German replaced James Milner in the 83rd minute of Saturday’s Champions League final, with Liverpool 3-1 down to the back-to-back-to-back champions.

There’s a chance, albeit slim, however, that Can could end up joining the Reds’ domestic rivals, Tottenham. In which case, he may yet just end up on the winning side against Los Blancos.

The Guardian, last week, reported that Mauricio Pochettino is “half-thinking” about making a late attempt to prise the 24-year-old away from the Old Lady.

Can Tottenham ignore Emre in their hunt for a Mousa Dembele successor?

Dembele’s successor
The most notable difference between Can and Dembele -and perhaps why he can’t be signed as a direct replacement for the Belgian- is ball retention.

Dembele’s USP as a footballer is his press resistance; the ability to use his natural strength to shield to the ball and retain possession in the face of a pressing opponent, typically attempting to take-on said player and find space behind.

A testament to this unique ability is the fact that he completed 66 take-ons in the Premier League, at a success rate of 88%. By contrast, Can completed less than a third as many (21), successful 72% of the time.

Dembele’s ball retention is a vital component of Pochettino’s system, with the Belgian used as a means of progressing the ball further up the pitch. Dembele’s passing accuracy, too, is something to be marvelled at, with the 30-year-old successful 92% of the time.

Given the importance afforded to Dembele in this respect, can Spurs compromise their style with a midfielder unable to retain possession as effectively?

What Can Emre offer?
Can, therefore, might not work effectively in a two-man midfield pivot alongside a defensive midfielder -namely Eric Dier or Victor Wanyama. The German’s best use comes in a three-man system, with a defensive midfielder and a more box-to-box player alongside him for balance.

This is because Can’s role is something akin to a deep-lying playmaker.

Different to Dembele, Can offers a more offensive threat in the final third. For instance, the German created 24 chances in the Premier League -eight more than Dembele- and assisted four goals. The Belgian, contrastingly, failed to register any.

Spurs need a creative presence in central midfield as, currently, too much emphasis is placed on Christian Eriksen to pull the strings from deep. With a creative threat in the centre, said burden is eased.

Can, too, is a goal-threat, something Spurs lack in their midfield. Dembele, for his brilliance, took just 11 shots in the Premier League, whilst Can attempted 26, over double. Eight of those came inside the penalty area, compared to one from the Belgian.

A two-trick pony
Perhaps Can’s most enticing attribute, however, is his all-roundedness. The 24-year-old has regularly covered Jordan Henderson at the base of Liverpool’s three-man midfield, whilst also performing a box-to-box role instead of Gini Wijnaldum.

Adept at playing as either a number six or eight, able to contribute both defensively and offensively, Can is a versatile midfielder and definitely a useful addition to Tottenham’s squad. Whilst not a direct replacement for Dembele, he could effectively support the Belgian, with other strings to his bow.

At 24, moreover, Can has potential and longevity on his side. With no money exchanging hands, if there’s any substance to this story, how could Spurs say no?

Interesting move. I like Can, very tidy footballer, and on a free I would be very happy to bring him in.

Not entirely sure I see him as a Dembele replacement, but he would bring something to the squad.

I’m hoping these stories are gonads. I wouldn’t see either of them as ‘brave’ signings.

I’m hoping these stories are gonads. I wouldn’t see either of them as ‘brave’ signings.

Agree 'brave' is not the word I'd use.
'Realistic' maybe.

Sadly, sights are set very 'high' transfer wise from most of our fans.
Not entirely sure why.

Can is a very good player, would be a very astute move - AND he is on a free!
When I saw the article I had to google his age - I couldnt believe hes only 24. For some reason thought he was around 30. Him and Toby could do their own Brylcreem ads together. Very good player, actually has a lot of skill. More I think about it, more I think he could be a good like for like with Dembele....

Back