• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Star Sign - Is that who you are??

There appears to be an unhealthy high percentage of scorpios on this site... I don't think this bodes well for good natured and calm discussion

Can i join it? im a scorpio and my **** is a little black from all the jerking off i did when i was a teenager

:ross:

I mean...it is absolutely brutal and maybe not even funny, but you have to hand it to Chich, he always makes you laugh because he goes for maximum damage!

BTW, Pisces...March 15th

Will come back to your response but i just want to add that when i moved
at work and the person I sat opposite i was so sure she was a virgo and was correct. I did blurt out that i'm finished:) and she said she wasn't a typical virgo ha! she is because i guessed she was...obvious

One anecdote. This is not evidence.

Your claim that you can do this is very much testable. If someone did some research and based on personal descriptions that didn't hint at their date of birth at all could pick out what sign people are with a better accuracy than chance then I might say that there could be something to this. If results like these were properly controlled and replicated among multiple researchers then I might start believing.

In short, I believe in things there is evidence for.

One anecdote. This is not evidence.

Your claim that you can do this is very much testable. If someone did some research and based on personal descriptions that didn't hint at their date of birth at all could pick out what sign people are with a better accuracy than chance then I might say that there could be something to this. If results like these were properly controlled and replicated among multiple researchers then I might start believing.

In short, I believe in things there is evidence for.

The thing is I was probably the most sceptical person going until last few partners, and this has since made me think about these silly things.
This woman who sits opposite me now, I was previously sat on bank of desks just down form her. Hence got to know her personality. There was a girl who sat behind me and
guessed she was a Libran because she's very sociable and a little scatty. The two chaps who sit opposite her are both Sagittarius- AND they have exactly the same persona - we all call them the twins. One is an Aussie whose been here a few years and the other from wales.

The thing is I was probably the most sceptical person going until last few partners, and this has since made me think about these silly things.
This woman who sits opposite me now, I was previously sat on bank of desks just down form her. Hence got to know her personality. There was a girl who sat behind me and
guessed she was a Libran because she's very sociable and a little scatty. The two chaps who sit opposite her are both Sagittarius- AND they have exactly the same persona - we all call them the twins. One is an Aussie whose been here a few years and the other from wales.

I highly doubt it.

Anecdote, anecdote, anecdote, anecdote...

Do you agree that if your claims are true they should be testable and results should show up in large well designed tests?

I highly doubt it.

Do you agree that if your claims are true they should be testable and results should show up in large well designed tests?

I don't know if this has ever been tested on large samples, perhaps someone can enlighten me. it would be interesting
to know if this has? Maybe GIFTER has a view on this?
Agreed this has only worked well so far on new work colleagues and women since i've started and on the signs I know well... so far i've yet to be out on my predictions, hence my further interest in testing this even more..

I highly doubt it.

I agree with your point. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a weak effect that could be detected, at least among believers. People tend to, at least in part, behave the way they are expected to. People who see an aspect of their personality in their star sign might exaggerate it, consciously or unconsciously, particularly if it's slightly eccentric and "justifies" an unusual behaviour. I think the overtly camp gay behaviour is an extreme example of this phenomena.

I agree with your point. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a weak effect that could be detected, at least among believers. People tend to, at least in part, behave the way they are expected to. People who see an aspect of their personality in their star sign might exaggerate it, consciously or unconsciously, particularly if it's slightly eccentric and "justifies" an unusual behaviour. I think the overtly camp gay behaviour is an extreme example of this phenomena.

I agree. Those describing themselves in a test like that probably shouldn't believe in this stuff.

I don't know if this has ever been tested on large samples, perhaps someone can enlighten me. it would be interesting
to know if this has? Maybe GIFTER has a view on this?
Agreed this has only worked well so far on new work colleagues and women since i've started and on the signs I know well... so far i've yet to be out on my predictions, hence my further interest in testing this even more..

I think i was right to be sceptical about your self professed scepticism.

You have an effect you didn't believe in, but then you started thinking there might be something to it, but looking for evidence such as a decent test of if this works or not was not on your list of things to check out.

Why do you think the vast majority of scientifically literate people reject astrology claims? Do you think it's because it's never been tested?

Phil Plait, a sceptic and astronomer has a write-up on his page on this topic, I haven't read it although I have read one of his books where this came up.

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/astrology.html

Many tests of astrologers have been made since the 1950s but only recently has a coherent review been possible. A large-scale test of persons born less than five minutes apart found no hint of the similarities predicted by astrology. Meta-analysis of more than forty controlled studies suggests that astrologers are unable to perform significantly better than chance even on the more basic tasks such as predicting extraversion [sociability]. More specifically, astrologers who claim to use psychic ability perform no better than those who do not.

I think i was right to be sceptical about your self professed scepticism.

You have an effect you didn't believe in, but then you started thinking there might be something to it, but looking for evidence such as a decent test of if this works or not was not on your list of things to check out.

Why do you think the vast majority of scientifically literate people reject astrology claims? Do you think it's because it's never been tested?

Phil Plait, a sceptic and astronomer has a write-up on his page on this topic, I haven't read it although I have read one of his books where this came up.

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/astrology.html

As I sit here, she is such a Virgo and they are sagittarius who have the same manerisms
as a good friend of mine.
My brother kept on about something this morning in a really negative way and wouldn't let the issue lie. Guess what... he's a Scorpio.. there is so more to this and i need to be convinced otherwise
I will read that badastronomy to see what the experts are saying..

As I sit here, she is such a Virgo and they are sagittarius who have the same manerisms
My brother kept on about something this morning in a really negative way and wouldn't let the issue lie. Guess what... he's a Scorpio.. there is so more to this and i need to be convinced otherwise

Burden of proof is on those making a positive statement.

Thanks for taking the time to read the opinions of the experts on this side of the debate (I use that word very lightly here).

The thing is, because you are a believer you'll fit their attitudes to match their star signs and disregard anything that doesn't match.

I'm Taurus, my two longest relationships have been with a Leo and a Libra, 2 signs that Taurus apparently clashes with. Typical Tauras traits and how they apply to me...

Steady - yep
Determined - ish
Reliable - yeah
Stubborn - not really
Creative - a little
Kind - yeah
Ferocious temper - nope
Lazy - a little
Habitual - a little
Loyal - yeah
Generous - average
Possesive - nope
Honest - not always
Financial wizard - definitely not

My wife is a Leo, typical traits of a Leo...

Extroverted - Nope
Creative - definitely not
Ambitious - nope
Independent - a little
Confident - ish
Strong-willed - not really
Generous - average
Conceited - nope
Gullible - a little
Bossy - nope
Arrogant - nope

As you can see, not many matches there some for me but not many for Mrs Lodge, I think if everyone put down the attributes of their star sign and how they apply to them they'll find similar patchy results. If you plucked some attributes out of the air and said that it applies to a random person then I bet you could get a similar amount of matching attributes.

As far as I can see there is absolutely no basis for Astrology, it's complete bollox.

Back