• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs v Emirates Marketing Project Match Ratings

King of way your 6's are utterly demented.

Lloris - 8. Obligatory dodgy kick to give them a chance. Some vital vital saves.
Walker - 7.5. Another guy who always gives a bad pass a match, this time it was a goal. Other than that he's continued his excellent form.
Toby - 8. Solid, amazing long range passing, good goal.
Jan - 8. How lucky are we to have this partnership? Back to his best.
Davies - 8. Getting better and better. Rose is going to find it very hard to come back in.
Dier - 9. Last season it was clear this guy was quality. But I never thought he'd be this good so soon. Incredible player.
Alli - 7.5. Felt in the first half he left us a little open and gave the ball away in dangerous areas due to his direct attacking style (which I love). But second half he was so so so solid, fantastic performance. Shows his versatility and intelligence.
Lamela - 9. Another stunning display. I've always liked him because he's always battled so so hard. And he did today with such amazing effect. What he's done this season is play a little more simply and improved his decision making an incredible amount.
Eriksen - 6.5. Though he was well off the pace, but it was his first start since his injury, and knew he has so much quality he can always create. And he did. He'll get better and better.
Son - 7.5. He wasn't as obviously impressive like previous (though he did nearly score 2), but his work rate and his general play with the ball is quite spectacular. So obviously absolute quality.
Kane - 8. Another all round good display, and finally a goal. Now start banging them in.

King of way your 6's are utterly demented.

Lloris - 8. Obligatory dodgy kick to give them a chance. Some vital vital saves.
Walker - 7.5. Another guy who always gives a bad pass a match, this time it was a goal. Other than that he's continued his excellent form.
Toby - 8. Solid, amazing long range passing, good goal.
Jan - 8. How lucky are we to have this partnership? Back to his best.
Davies - 8. Getting better and better. Rose is going to find it very hard to come back in.
Dier - 9. Last season it was clear this guy was quality. But I never thought he'd be this good so soon. Incredible player.
Alli - 7.5. Felt in the first half he left us a little open and gave the ball away in dangerous areas due to his direct attacking style (which I love). But second half he was so so so solid, fantastic performance. Shows his versatility and intelligence.
Lamela - 9. Another stunning display. I've always liked him because he's always battled so so hard. And he did today with such amazing effect. What he's done this season is play a little more simply and improved his decision making an incredible amount.
Eriksen - 6.5. Though he was well off the pace, but it was his first start since his injury, and knew he has so much quality he can always create. And he did. He'll get better and better.
Son - 7.5. He wasn't as obviously impressive like previous (though he did nearly score 2), but his work rate and his general play with the ball is quite spectacular. So obviously absolute quality.
Kane - 8. Another all round good display, and finally a goal. Now start banging them in.
Spot on all round, except I'd have mentioned that for sixty minutes Lamela too often ran into trouble from not releasing the ball early enough. But agree his overall contribution in the end was outstanding.

Lloris 8
Walker 7
Toby 8
Vertonghen 7
Davies 7
Dier 8
Alli 7
Lamela 8 MOTM
Eriksen 7
Son 7
Kane 8

Chadli 6
Njie 7

Most posts on here are motivated by things being wrong. Hey we all need to vent. But it was such an encouraging display second half that we can put the details to one side for a moment and congratulate Lamela, the defence and Pochettino. Fear not, we were not perfect and I'm sure we'll resume normal service soon!

To challenge for the top 4 week in and out, there are things we will need to do better. First half the defence were too laboured moving the ball - City closed us down and we weren't in control of the game. We have to improve our passing - the speed out from the back, and our movement/ passing accuracy up top. First half our attacks lacked fluency, and City's goal came from our sloppy passing.

What was so encouraging was how we stepped up second half. We were a little fortunate coming in 1-1, but Poch sent the team out with real energy and purpose second half. We played the ball forward with urgency and punished them. I don't think its a coincidence that we have improved since Eriksen has returned. Yes he's rusty, but even an 80% Eriksen helps the team tick over. Hopefully this result will boost confidence. Its a newish midfield and attack: Dier, Alli, Son new to their roles. Eriksen back after a layoff and Lamela finding his feet. There is more to come.

Lots to work on for Poch, but yesterday was a kind of vindication for him. He is developing this young team getting them to perform beyond their years.

Last edited:
Lloris 7
Walker 8
Alderweireld 8
Vertonghen 8
Davies 8
Dier 8
Alli 6
Lamela 9
Eriksen 7
Son 6
Kane 7

I would have given Lloris a bigger mark but his kicking is really poor for a top keeper.

I was fortunate enough to go yesterday to watch the game. I'm so, so, so very pleased for the team and Poch. My belief was starting to wane, but they've just proved to me that it is so really worth perservering with this team and manager. When we went 3-1 up, the atmosphere kicked on and it was truly spine-tingling.

Ratings from me are as follows:

Lloris - 8 - Yes his kicking was sometimes ordinary, but that save from Sterling could have been the difference between us losing. It was that important and that pivotal a moment. This is why good teams have good keepers.

Walker - 7- Beginning to look like his marauding self. That mistake though was frustrating.
Alderweireld - 8.5 - Solid. Partnership looks solid
Vertonghen - 8 - Solid. Partnership looks solid
Davies - 8 - He is beginning to look classy to me. Great options for us at LB.
Dier - 9 - Beast. The desire, the class, that shot. I am actually thinking he should forget about CB.
Alli - 7 - He has so much potential.
Lamela - 9 - MoM for me. Creatively he was one of the main players that made us tick. I'm so glad that the goal went in as my heart was in my mouth. I really want him to kick on from here. He's playing with a point to prove, and he certainly needs to prove it to the cynics.
Eriksen - 7 - Getting back to proper match fitness. I still think he has the potential to be better.
Son - 7 - Solid performance.
Kane - 7 - So glad he scored the goal. Hopefully the floodgates will open.

Poch - 8 - I can now see his vision of the team and I am loving the idea of our front 4 all rotating around, creating space and restricting it for the opposition. Emirates Marketing Project couldn't handle them. I love Dier slotting into central defence when the full backs go up. I love the fact that none of our players think they are above hard work. This team can be very dynamic, very effective and a team that we can be proud of.

As you can see, I am very happy. VERY HAPPY!!!

Last edited:
Soccernet's player ratings :

Player Ratings (1-10; 10=best. Players introduced after 70 minutes get no rating):

GK Hugo Lloris, 8 -- Scuffed an early kick straight to Raheem Sterling but went on to make good low saves from Sergio Aguero and Sterling before tipping a strike from Jesus Navas over the bar in the second period. He might be disappointed he didn't save De Bruyne's goal but only because he is so good, and he was exposed one-on-one after all.

DF Kyle Walker, 7 -- Gave the ball away when City scored their goal, playing a loose pass on the edge of the visitors' box, but made amends by getting forward to deliver the cross which resulted in the equaliser -- even if he was well offside. The right-back generally defended well against the tricky Sterling.

DF Toby Alderweireld, 8 -- Capped another solid performance alongside Jan Vertonghen with his first goal for the club, leaping highest to head home from Lamela's in-swinging free kick. The Belgian also showed his ability with a raking crossfield ball to Ben Davies in the first half.

DF Jan Vertonghen, 7 -- Sometimes frustrated by a lack of options in front of him, he nonetheless refused to go long and helped to keep Spurs playing the right way on the deck, showing a cool head while injecting impetus with a couple of runs out from the back.

DF Ben Davies, 7 -- Continues to get the nod over Danny Rose for the Premier League fixtures and had a solid game. A weakness in the air sometimes lets his opponents get in behind, but he did well at both ends of the pitch, making intelligent forward runs at the right time -- which weren't always spotted -- and delivering a couple of useful crosses.

MF Eric Dier, 8 -- This was a big test for the 21-year-old. City were able to find some space in front of the back four in the first half and he was missing when Yaya Toure broke to set up the visitors' goal. However, he struck the important equaliser at the perfect time with an accurate 25-yard rocket and helped to keep the visitors' expensively-assembled attacking unit at bay in the second period. It seems he is up to the toughest challenges in his central midfield role.

MF Dele Alli, 7 -- Showed his versatility by starting alongside Dier before moving forward into the No. 10 role when Spurs were trying to score their first and second goals, and then dropping back next to Dier again to help protect the lead -- and indeed build on it. The 19-year-old has quickly become a key member of Pochettino's strongest XI.

MF Erik Lamela, 9 -- Just when some fans had given up on the Argentine, he is enjoying a real revival. Having been one of Spurs' best attacking players in the home game against Emirates Marketing Project in May, he was excellent again here, frequently winning the ball and driving forward while linking up with his teammates with some nice touches. There was an end product too -- the in-swinging free kick that set up Alderweireld's goal and a cool finish to give him his second goal in three games.

MF Heung-Min Son, 6 -- Seemed to struggle with the pace and physicality of the game and was unable to make a real impact in his initial role behind Kane, or later on the left flank. But he worked hard and sent a shot at City goalkeeper Willy Caballero just after City's goal, before getting into the box and forcing the point-blank save that immediately led to Dier's equaliser.

MF Christian Eriksen, 5 -- Largely lacked an end product in the final third and should have brought Toure down as the City man charged through the midfield before laying on City's goal. But he is capable of producing a key moment of quality at any time and it was his free kick, which hit the woodwork, which gifted Kane his goal.

FW Harry Kane, 8 -- Even without his much-needed goal, this would have been a strong performance. While he was perhaps a little selfish in shooting in the first half when Eriksen was free outside him, the striker forced a good save from Caballero before the break and his hard work on the right flank won the free kick which produced Alderweireld's goal. The fact that he also found the net himself is a big bonus, and he will now be keen to make up for lost time and go on a run.

Substitutes:

MF Nacer Chadli, 6 -- Came on for Eriksen in the 68th minute and gave Spurs fresh legs as they rammed home their advantage in the second half.

MF Clinton Njie, NR -- Replaced Son in the 77th minute. The fleet-footed new signing made his first telling contribution in a Spurs shirt, escaping down the right side and finding Lamela to set up the Argentine's goal just two minutes after coming on.

MF Tom Carroll, NR -- A very late arrival to the party, he may have come on in the 87th minute just so Pochettino could take Lamela off and give his countryman his own standing ovation.

http://www.espnfc.com/club/tottenha...livers-best-tottenham-performance-vs-man-city

Soccernet's player ratings :

Player Ratings (1-10; 10=best. Players introduced after 70 minutes get no rating):

MF Christian Eriksen, 5 -- Largely lacked an end product in the final third and should have brought Toure down as the City man charged through the midfield before laying on City's goal. But he is capable of producing a key moment of quality at any time and it was his free kick, which hit the woodwork, which gifted Kane his goal.

http://www.espnfc.com/club/tottenha...livers-best-tottenham-performance-vs-man-city
Whilst Eriksen did certainly struggle to find his touch, especially early on, to award him a 5 seems more than a little harsh on the Dane, especially given this was his first start in several weeks.

His thunderous free-kick alone is surely worth an extra point as an assist but on top of that, as the game progressed, not only was he increasingly adding much needed spark and invention to our attacks with some intelligent, if somewhat erratic, probing, he'd also begun to inject more energy and bite to his pressing game, such that he copped a booking for his troubles just prior to being hooked.

I'd give him a 7.

Whilst Eriksen did certainly struggle to find his touch, especially early on, to award him a 5 seems more than a little harsh on the Dane, especially given this was his first start in several weeks.

His thunderous free-kick alone is surely worth an extra point as an assist but on top of that, as the game progressed, not only was he increasingly adding much needed spark and invention to our attacks with some intelligent, if somewhat erratic, probing, he'd also begun to inject more energy and bite to his pressing game, such that he copped a booking for his troubles just prior to being hooked.

I'd give him a 7.

I agree with that. I think the more our front 4 play together, the more they are going to create and finish. I would say that Eriksen was quietly effective on Saturday but what we need from him is to be loudly excellent in the big games. That will come, I am sure of it.

Lloris 8

Walker 6.5
Vert 7.5
Alder 8
Davies 7.5

Dier 8.5
Alli 7
Son 7.5
Eriksen 7
Lamela 8.5 (MoTM)

Kane 7.5

Subs:
Chadli 7
Njie 7.5
Caroll 6.5

Poach: 8.5

Last edited:
4 Spurs players were named in Soccernet's Team Of The Week : Lloris, Walker, Dier and Lamela.

Goalkeeper: It's always worth starting on a positive note -- and what could be more positive than our panel all agreeing on the goalkeeper in the latest edition of Team of the Weekend? Tottenham's 4-1 win over Emirates Marketing Project was the most impressive result from this round of Premier League fixtures, and while at least four of the five goals in the game might have been disallowed for offside on another day, Spurs would not have been in any position to record the win were it not for the performance of Hugo Lloris in the first half. "City would have been out of sight without him," notes Paul Mariner, while Steve Nicol's assessment was similar, saying: "Without his first-half display, this game was over." Gab Marcotti claimed the referee's assistants and City's futility were the key factors in Tottenham's win, but the consensus is that they wouldn't have been able to record the three points were it not for a superb showing from their goalkeeper.

Defence: Lloris couldn't do everything on his own. Kyle Walker is occasionally a rather frustrating player, often showing plenty of verve going forwards but a little more vulnerability at the back. However, he put in a fine performance against City, doing his best to shackle Raheem Sterling on City's left and of course delivering some of that attacking threat. "It was an ideal game for him, running up and down against an opponent who left plenty of space," says Marcotti, also praising Walker's ability to make himself invisible to the referee's assistant in the buildup to Tottenham's first goal. This was another unanimous choice from our panel, with Mariner and Nicol also selecting Walker, the latter summing up his game by adding: "Thou shall not pass."

Centre Midfield: One man who perhaps didn't expect to spend his time in the heart of midfield for his side is Eric Dier, the defender who filled in here and there in defence for Spurs last season. However, the youngster has been a revelation in the holding role for Mauricio Pochettino's side, and was probably Tottenham's standout player in their superb victory over City. Nicol calls him a "tackling machine," while Mariner says: "He looks really at home in the holding role, scored the equaliser and picked up great spots out of possession."

Right Midfield: Rounding off the quartet of Tottenham players in this edition of Team of the Weekend is Erik Lamela. The Argentine winger has been much-maligned since his £30 million move from Roma a couple of summers ago, but every now and then he displays the sort of talent that persuaded Spurs to sink a big slice of the money from Gareth Bale's sale into his purchase. "He once again harnessed his enormous talent to a productive end, scoring a goal, setting up another and generally beavering away effectively," says Marcotti.

http://www.espnfcasia.com/barclays-premier-league/23/blog/post/2634597/team-of-the-weekend-sep-26-27

Well done to Lloris, Walker, Dier and Lamela. They played well. Frankly, thought either Vertonghen or Alderweireld deserved to be in that team as well. But for some reason, they decided to put ManU's Smalling for keeping clean sheet against the mighty Sunderland !

I think eriksen is more at fault for the city goal than walker, surely he must have known there was no other spurs player inside him so letting it run across him was gifting possession. He still lacks sharpness so can be forgiven, but it harsh on walker to be getting so all the blame.

I think eriksen is more at fault for the city goal than walker, surely he must have known there was no other spurs player inside him so letting it run across him was gifting possession. He still lacks sharpness so can be forgiven, but it harsh on walker to be getting so all the blame.

I like Eriksen ( for me he is our most creative player) but I agree with you that it was more down to him then Walker making another ( so called brain fart as some like to keep saying). It seems that some fans have to have a player to rant about and at the moment Walker seems to be the one for some.

I was fortunate enough to go yesterday to watch the game. I'm so, so, so very pleased for the team and Poch. My belief was starting to wane, but they've just proved to me that it is so really worth perservering with this team and manager. When we went 3-1 up, the atmosphere kicked on and it was truly spine-tingling.

Ratings from me are as follows:

Lloris - 8 - Yes his kicking was sometimes ordinary, but that save from Sterling could have been the difference between us losing. It was that important and that pivotal a moment. This is why good teams have good keepers.

Walker - 7- Beginning to look like his marauding self. That mistake though was frustrating.
Alderweireld - 8.5 - Solid. Partnership looks solid
Vertonghen - 8 - Solid. Partnership looks solid
Davies - 8 - He is beginning to look classy to me. Great options for us at LB.
Dier - 9 - Beast. The desire, the class, that shot. I am actually thinking he should forget about CB.
Alli - 7 - He has so much potential.
Lamela - 9 - MoM for me. Creatively he was one of the main players that made us tick. I'm so glad that the goal went in as my heart was in my mouth. I really want him to kick on from here. He's playing with a point to prove, and he certainly needs to prove it to the cynics.
Eriksen - 7 - Getting back to proper match fitness. I still think he has the potential to be better.
Son - 7 - Solid performance.
Kane - 7 - So glad he scored the goal. Hopefully the floodgates will open.

Poch - 8 - I can now see his vision of the team and I am loving the idea of our front 4 all rotating around, creating space and restricting it for the opposition. Emirates Marketing Project couldn't handle them. I love Dier slotting into central defence when the full backs go up. I love the fact that none of our players think they are above hard work. This team can be very dynamic, very effective and a team that we can be proud of.

As you can see, I am very happy. VERY HAPPY!!!
Consider it forgotten. :)

Back