• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

That was an exceptional throw, but it begs the question, why is it that Lloris so rarely use his arm when clearing his lines? It was much more accurate than his kicking usually is and the speed of his release caught Liverpool on the hop, thereby initiating a scoring opportunity out of nothing.

this came up in match thread for Dortmund. They were so packed into midfield any quick long release would have been a serious chance.

Son did great yesterday and a beautifully taken goal. However, he does give up a bit easily, at times. One case in point was when he got into the box on the right in the first half and then lost the ball. The ball was in a bit of space with no defender around it, but instead of reversing to try to get to it before a scouse defender could and resurrect the attack, he just stopped. And he gave up (or didn't challenge as hard as he could) in a couple other occasions. He has the tenacity, but it doesn't seem to be there 90-400% of the time. Contrast to Harry who, when his shot got blocked, sprinted back 80 yards to defend and his pressure on a scouse player at the edge of our box made him miss his shot wide. So if there is one area that Sonny could improve upon, this is it. Other than that, he is such a weapon for us, whether he starts or comes off the bench.

He can frustrate (e.g. his pass to return the favor to Harry could have killed the game even earlier, or the hit against crossbar), but he is direct, pacey, uses both feet and scores.

His runs alongside Kane tore Pool apart, and he runs himself into ground (he looked done at sub time), really important part of squad/tactics

Would he be in your starting 11?

Personally, i keep flip flopping on this. When we played 3 behind Kane, i think i had him edging out Lamela. But now that we play with 2, i'm torn.

I love his game and always look forward to him starting.

Good question - not entirely sure, myself. I subscribe to the idea that, broadly, the two men in behind Kane in a 3-4-2-1 are meant to be a false nine and a creator, respectively. You see the differentiation in roles when we're passing it around the edge of the opponent's area - Eriksen falls back alongside Winks/the creative CM to start attacks, while Alli drifts forward to almost play alongside Kane/wide to play almost out on the touchline. That movement draws others out of position and allows the resulting gaps to be exploited by the attacking six (CM + Eriksen + Alli + Kane + the wing-backs).

Given that reality, I don't think Son would be in the strongest starting eleven available to us - his role is as an inside forward/striker coming in off the shoulder, which is roughly the role Alli plays in the 3-4-2-1 set-up. Would Son be more effective than Alli over the course of a season? I don't think so.

I agree with your ideas about a three-man attacking midfield, though - I'd start him if we were playing 4-2-3-1, definitely.

Two very good finishes, one that cracked off the bar. Through on goals he couldn't quite reach the ball and it looked poor. His attempted pass wasn't at all an easy one. Worked his socks off and looked a threat whenever he got the ball. Far from a 50:50 game from him.

He's not consistent compared to Kane, but last season his end product was great for a player mostly playing wide and not always a starter. Not in the best of form so far this season, but this was a good sign that he's getting into the groove of things.

I don't disagree that his end product last season was great for a player not always central to the team or our attacking play through the middle. But, even last season, he *could* have had so many more, which is the frustrating thing about him. I disagree about the attempted pass - it was roughly analogous to Kane's ball to him for the second goal, and only needed bending around Matip.

I do agree that he worked his socks off in general and looked a threat. That's been the case since the start of last season - he is probably our most effective, dangerous player after Kane, Eriksen and Alli.

I don't disagree that his end product last season was great for a player not always central to the team or our attacking play through the middle. But, even last season, he *could* have had so many more, which is the frustrating thing about him. I disagree about the attempted pass - it was roughly analogous to Kane's ball to him for the second goal, and only needed bending around Matip.

I do agree that he worked his socks off in general and looked a threat. That's been the case since the start of last season - he is probably our most effective, dangerous player after Kane, Eriksen and Alli.

Kane's pass was easier as there was more space. Even then it took what most acknowledged as a very good pass.

Yes, frustrating at times. Yes, he could have scored more. More to come from him if he can develop a bit more consistency. Difficult to say if he will... But the frustration is a relatively small one for me compared to some other players, cough, cough, Sissoko...

Weird request, but I keep reading that after Kane scores his second you can see Son running after him shouting 'HARRY KAAAAAAAAANE!'

...anyone have a clip of this? Sounds utterly hilarious.

He did that on the pitch walk off at end of match, and it cracked Harry up

He is a brilliant and under stated player

He should score more but then he scores some that he shouldn't by the same standard

His work rate is second to none and his attitude is too notch

It's great to see players enjoying playing as much as he does

Agree. But he scored 21 goals last season! That's more than a lot of PL teams top scorers net.

Not easy to slot into games as he does without starting every week. He's a selfless player too, a true team professional. Not to mention a physical specimen - 6ft, fast, and his finishing is only second to Kane's imo. Not an automatic starter but Son is vital to us.

Last edited:
Agree. But he scored 21 goals last season! That's more than a lot of PL teams top scorer net.

Not ease to slot into games as he does without starting every week. He's a selfless player too, a true team professional. Not to mention a physical specimen - 6ft, fast, and his finishing is only second to Kane's imo. Not an automatic starter but Son is vital to us.
Very vital
You cannot under estimate a player who comes in to perform as required and that goal return was phenomenal

Agree. But he scored 21 goals last season! That's more than a lot of PL teams top scorer net.

Not ease to slot into games as he does without starting every week. He's a selfless player too, a true team professional. Not to mention a physical specimen - 6ft, fast, and his finishing is only second to Kane's imo. Not an automatic starter but Son is vital to us.
It's a measure of how far we've come that a player who scored 21 goals in a season (1) wasn't our top scorer, and (2) isn't even in our 1st XI. Not that we really have a 1st XI at the moment, but you know what I mean.

I remember checking the top goalscorer chart on Ceefax to see where Sheringham, Armstrong or even Ferdinand was. Behind Shearer, usually, but at least one of our players was on there. Same with Sheringham, Anderton, Barmby and Campbell being in the England squad. Just a glimmer of glory in amongst all the mid-table dross.

Would he be in your starting 11?

Personally, i keep flip flopping on this. When we played 3 behind Kane, i think i had him edging out Lamela. But now that we play with 2, i'm torn.

I love his game and always look forward to him starting.

Depends on the system. If we play 4-2-3-1 then absolutely I would start him. I think Lamela due to his injury and Son's form over the past season and a bit has fallen way behind. Son for me is streets ahead of Lamela in terms of overall play and end product, plus he works just as hard as Lamela and gives us a threat in terms of pace.

In a 2 behind Kane then it's more difficult. I would pick Alli personally but that doesn't mean Son doesn't have the ability to overtake him.

Depends on the system. If we play 4-2-3-1 then absolutely I would start him. I think Lamela due to his injury and Son's form over the past season and a bit has fallen way behind. Son for me is streets ahead of Lamela in terms of overall play and end product, plus he works just as hard as Lamela and gives us a threat in terms of pace.

In a 2 behind Kane then it's more difficult. I would pick Alli personally but that doesn't mean Son doesn't have the ability to overtake him.

Son is such a high energy player, I think it helps him to not start every game. Balance between being in form and getting enough recovery time.

One of my favourite players! He always makes something happen! I don’t think he should start every game, But when he’s missed a game or two, or comes off the bench, he’s top draw. Direct, pretty much 2 footed, great technique, and quicker than i thought. A great option.

I'll repeat what I said in the match thread.

Son, the *ultimate* in footballing frustration - has a horrible game, can't hold the ball at all...then scores a *magnificent* goal that was curled into the far corner around half the players on the field. Then misses an absolute sitter by horribly shanking it into the side-netting, and then messes up another breakaway after that in quick succession.

It was amusing to watch Verts berate him after that horrible miss, though - poor guy hasn't scored a goal for five years, makes a brilliant interception and run, would have had an open goal if Son had passed to him...and our Korean shanks it wide.

You can't do much more than that, really. :p

Back