• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

Horses for courses imo, some games suit or need different approaches.
First 30mins yesterday I thought we missed Victor because of their physicality.
Once we scored though dier came into his own.

Wrong thread for the Dier vs Wanyama coversation's.

As for Son vs Lamela, I always felt that last season we'd have been more balanced if Son had been able to play wide right. Now Eriksen has effectively taken that role, the left sided forward berth has opened up and we gain another goalscorer (as opposed to just have Dele and Kane when Lamela is playing).

Wrong thread for the Dier vs Wanyama coversation's.

As for Son vs Lamela, I always felt that last season we'd have been more balanced if Son had been able to play wide right. Now Eriksen has effectively taken that role, the left sided forward berth has opened up and we gain another goalscorer (as opposed to just have Dele and Kane when Lamela is playing).
True, buts it's a similar argument for lamela and son imo. Against Liverpool I would have had lamela all day long, it's about game craft in these games and I think lamela is so much better at that that son.

True, buts it's a similar argument for lamela and son imo. Against Liverpool I would have had lamela all day long, it's about game craft in these games and I think lamela is so much better at that that son.

Indeed; some games will require Lamela whilst some you will need Son's pace, forward drive and 'chaos factor'.
It will be down to Poch to select the right options for the appropriate opposition if all all are available

Yeah we really were quite open through the middle yesterday until we went 1 up and that was against a severely weakened Watford team

Actually I would suggest that against Liverpool the player we missed more than any other was Rose. Davies was tormented by Mane all game, he would not have been able to get away with that against Rose. Remember Mane scored both goals down that flank

Actually I would suggest that against Liverpool the player we missed more than any other was Rose. Davies was tormented by Mane all game, he would not have been able to get away with that against Rose. Remember Mane scored both goals down that flank
Undoubtedly, but for me rose and lamela is stronger in those games than rose and son.
Son may offer more going forward, but Liverpool are so bad at the back they don't worry about the opposition. They try and negate that by squeezing and pressing like crazy. Lamela is way more effective at breaking that up.
Horses for courses, and we are so lucky to have both options.

Davies was tormented all game because he had no protection from the left side of midfield and we played a suicidally high line against the paciest attack in the league, imo

Of course, you need a variety of options for different games e.g. Trippier for games like Watford, Burnley etc. That said, I believe Son's overall play is better and brings more to the table than Lamela when they are both fit and on form.

People were debating whether Poch would go back to 4-2-3-1 if/when Lamela returns but he's got the same conundrum with Son now.

EDIT: I realise we were 4-2-3-1 on Saturday but that was without Wanyama in the side.

Last edited:
Of course, you need a variety of options for different games e.g. Trippier for games like Watford, Burnley etc. That said, I believe Son's overall play is better and brings more to the table than Lamela when they are both fit and on form.

People were debating whether Poch would go back to 4-2-3-1 if/when Lamela returns but he's got the same conundrum with Son now.

I think 3 at the back is our strongest lineup which means Eriksen Alli Kane but we'll have plenty of opportunity over a season to switch to 4231 and depending on the opponent we can choose which way we line up in that formation. There's also the possibility that Son can force his way in ahead of Alli if he drops off or needs resting - which at his age is entirely possible.

If we can keep those four happy with game time whilst upgrading on Sissoko/N'koudou/N'jie with someone like Zaha then we'll be very strong in attack next season - and that's before we even get to the idea of adding a CF (or replacing Janssen)

But Son now on 11 PL goals; crazy that before today Kane, Alli and Son cmbined had more PL goals between them than the whole Man Utd team put together:eek:

A great return for a wing-forward; his pace can be frightening; imagine if he gets even more clinical in his finishing! Son is now part of a great attacking force Poch has built at Spurs. Great stuff!

Thing is, no striker is truly clinical (even Kane, Aquero, etc. miss chances), it's about getting yourself in position to get as many chances as possible and not letting the miss affect you.

- Son is what he is, direct, good pace, two footed and can score. Downside is he's not a lead the line striker, he's short passing can be awful.

His return as a wing forward is brilliant, its actually with range of Hazard (who everyone is tossing over constantly), Son has 11 PL/18 Total, Hazard has 14/19 and I'm sure Hazard has considerably more minutes on pitch.

Thing is, no striker is truly clinical (even Kane, Aquero, etc. miss chances), it's about getting yourself in position to get as many chances as possible and not letting the miss affect you.

- Son is what he is, direct, good pace, two footed and can score. Downside is he's not a lead the line striker, he's short passing can be awful.

His return as a wing forward is brilliant, its actually with range of Hazard (who everyone is tossing over constantly), Son has 11 PL/18 Total, Hazard has 14/19 and I'm sure Hazard has considerably more minutes on pitch.

kYo2B7c.png

though it has to be said a lot of Sons minutes have come as a CF?

Last edited:
I think 3 at the back is our strongest lineup which means Eriksen Alli Kane but we'll have plenty of opportunity over a season to switch to 4231 and depending on the opponent we can choose which way we line up in that formation. There's also the possibility that Son can force his way in ahead of Alli if he drops off or needs resting - which at his age is entirely possible.

If we can keep those four happy with game time whilst upgrading on Sissoko/N'koudou/N'jie with someone like Zaha then we'll be very strong in attack next season - and that's before we even get to the idea of adding a CF (or replacing Janssen)

I think that the switch to three at the back was to fit Dier and Wanyama in the same team. I would be surprised if we saw a regular switch back to 4-2-3-1 to accommodate either Son or Lamela at one of their expense.

I think that the switch to three at the back was to fit Dier and Wanyama in the same team. I would be surprised if we saw a regular switch back to 4-2-3-1 to accommodate either Son or Lamela at one of their expense.

i think it was more a tactical switch than having to fit in certain individuals (if that's what you meant?) we're a better team both defensively and offensively in 3421 than 4231. It gives Rose and Walker the freedom to attack and also allows Dier and Vertonghen to push in to midfield to support our attacking play, safe in the knowledge that Alderweireld and Wanyama can mop up any problems.

i agree, right now i cant see us switching back regularly to 4231 but then this time last season im not sure many thought we needed to change from 4231, which was working quite well at the time - but we did, so who knows what will pan out - i think that we are well versed in both setups now and this is an added strength of ours going in to next season. If you think back to last season we had a slow start getting used to the way we wanted to play and then again this season another slow start (in comparison to the rest of the seasons performance) as we got used to 3421, so maybe next season will see us start stronger as we're more comfortable with how we want to play from the off.

Back