• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

When was the last time Alli, Eriksen and Kane had a good game with Son playing on the left?
We have been at our best this season with Alli and Eriksen free behind Kane.
Son disturbs this.

We have more attacking threat with those 3 in the right positions than with 4.

When was the last time Alli, Eriksen and Kane had a good game with Son playing on the left?
We have been at our best this season with Alli and Eriksen free behind Kane.
Son disturbs this.

We have more attacking threat with those 3 in the right positions than with 4.

But that's when we play 3 at the back too

Problem is we don't have a left side option to do that with Rose out

son is way better than holtby in terms of goals and assists (and penalties creation, if that doesn't count as assist)
the issue is that poch is playing a high line and we don't have fast players to fill the gap. that little zippy american would have been more useful in the pool game

Harry wasn't exactly free in the penalty area, and anyway remember what happened against Boro, when Son delivered the perfect cross to Harry in acres of space for a free header? At least Son was on target today and forced Minolet to save it.

He wasn't free, but he was on the shoulder of the last man, iirc - a reasonably quick ball across would have given him half the net to tap into, which I think he probably wouldn't have missed.

He wasn't free, but he was on the shoulder of the last man, iirc - a reasonably quick ball across would have given him half the net to tap into, which I think he probably wouldn't have missed.
This. I like Sonny, think he is a fantastic option off the bench and a good starter against 'lower' table sides where losing possession won't kill you because there's little desire on their part to win.

Wow man, sometimes you really do take my breath away with your negative take on our players. Have you not seen Benny_lad's post just two above that reveals he currently has the best goalscoring and assists record of ANY midfielder in the PL?

It's baffling to me that some fans seem unable to appreciate the skills of such a gifted player, one who has that extra bit of magic in his boots enabling him to take on defenders inside the box and scare the brick out of them. Of course it's never going to work every time, that comes with the territory, but at the end of the day it is one of the best ways to create openings close to goal and the rewards for success are high. Have you already forgotten that it was his successful dribble into the box that when all other attempts had failed bought the crucial pen against Middlesbrough which Kane converted to win us all thee points?

So come on man, please in future think twice before posting such negative comments of a player whose overall contribution you ought really to be trumpeting from the rooftops.

This is also a fair and good post. The truth, for me, lies somewhere in the middle.

This. I like Sonny, think he is a fantastic option off the bench and a good starter against 'lower' table sides where losing possession won't kill you because there's little desire on their part to win.

I agree, he's got a lot of upside - weighed down, unfortunately, by a tendency to make the wrong decision in key moments. It doesn't matter as much against lower sides because we fashion enough chances to win (usually) despite this relative profligacy, but against the big boys, we can't afford it - especially when we're having an off-day and need something, anything at all, to go our way.

Decision making under pressure is a skill which, when it's not innate, can only come with lots of practice getting put into situations where options have to be assessed and acted on in the smallest posible time-frame. I have confidence Sonny will acquire that skill before his career winds down, and he'll be a better player for it (maybe even a world-class player, because he has everything else in his locker - technical skill, pace, finishing, passing, work-rate, etcetera). But time's against the prospect of him doing it in a Spurs shirt - let's not forget that he still has to do his two years of military service at some point before he turns 28, which only gives him another year or so (at max) hanging around in Europe before his return to South Korea (provided of course that he doesn't earn an exemption at the WC or just skimp out of doing it).

Until he gets that skill, though, he's best in instinctive situations - like his finish for the equalizing goal against City. Ball came to him, players all around him, keeper in the center of the goal - no time for thinking, only option was to hit it first time into one of the corners, and he stroked it into the left corner magnificently. That sort of thing will probably be the best we're going to see if we're not prepared to wait for him to stop wasting so many good chances and positions.

As I remember he did not do too badly when he started against Emirates Marketing Project earlier this season

He was so brick until he got that first goal lol. Multiple poor touches, greedy a couple of times and then one goal transformed him into a top player. Happy with his performance though.
First goal kind of summed up his inconsistent season so far. Strangely poor first touch when it looked easy to control it, then all awesome from there.

He's a bit of consistency away from being a top player.

If his hat trick today signals form to come it couldn't have come at a better time.

First goal kind of summed up his inconsistent season so far. Strangely poor first touch when it looked easy to control it, then all awesome from there.

He's a bit of consistency away from being a top player.

If his hat trick today signals form to come it couldn't have come at a better time.
Perhaps Son's mind races ahead to what he is going to try next, and he forgets to control the ball first. He's a skillful guy so it isn't lack of talent. I think he just starts dreaming of a curler or nutmeg or stepover and forgets to kill the ball neatly first. Very haphazard, but very dangerous when he gets on the ball.

Back