• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So, what happened today?

Close...:D

FWIW -and don't take this in any way personally, you're not the first and won't be the last to have spread absolute rubbish about them- but them suing each other is absolute, total and utter gonad*s.

Me not liking the vocals or considering them to be thoroughly average musicians isn't me spreading absolute rubbish, it's my opinion that you asked for but okay...?

Fair enough on if my memory of the band falling out was inaccurate, I really don't care but it's cute that you got so defensive on that point and good for you if you can enjoy Metallica.

What a Sunday. Caught most of the F1 (not 6am start, late one last night), the Sun's out, took the big little man for a little boxing session with me to see if he enjoyed it, bit of housework out the way then back to practice cricket with the little man before season starts. Now watching the football with the boys in the garden. Bliss.

Me not liking the vocals or considering them to be thoroughly average musicians isn't me spreading absolute rubbish, it's my opinion that you asked for but okay...?

Fair enough on if my memory of the band falling out was inaccurate, I really don't care but it's cute that you got so defensive on that point and good for you if you can enjoy Metallica.

You should know me well enough to know I

a) would never correct an opinion
b) would not speak so directly about things I do not factually know

Not liking Metallica for whatever reason (vocals, tunes)? Great. As you said, your opinion.

Throwing out bad facts? Needed correction.

I will also add that when it comes to thinking of them as 'thoroughly average musicians', I'd wager you're buying that one off the internet. Trust me, they are far from 'average' and are elite musicians and performers. Again, context is everything, but I guarantee they can each compose-and play- things technically which you'd (apparently) be very surprised by.

Cute? As is...

I know they're all well past it, but this is some lineup...

pt-2023-poster.jpg

Seen most of the big bands and acts in my time, however to my regret i never got to see AC/DC

Seen most of the big bands and acts in my time, however to my regret i never got to see AC/DC

In fairness, this won't be the same AC/DC for very obvious reasons...seen them many times over the decades but missed them with Bon, which would've been the absolute time. Still, Bean did some great shows, but no Malcolm is a massive blow.

You should know me well enough to know I

a) would never correct an opinion
b) would not speak so directly about things I do not factually know

Not liking Metallica for whatever reason (vocals, tunes)? Great. As you said, your opinion.

Throwing out bad facts? Needed correction.

I will also add that when it comes to thinking of them as 'thoroughly average musicians', I'd wager you're buying that one off the internet. Trust me, they are far from 'average' and are elite musicians and performers. Again, context is everything, but I guarantee they can each compose-and play- things technically which you'd (apparently) be very surprised by.

Cute? As is...

You'd be wagering incorrectly. I'm not sure what you mean by "buying that one off the Internet"but in whatever context that could possibly mean I believe you are way off the mark and so now as well as seemingly deriding my opinion you're also being condescending but that's my choice to perceive it that way I guess. Just that phrase in itself appears to be attempting to correct an opinion by assuming it's not an authentic one. I've acknowledged I must have misremembered on the royalties front and appreciate the correction. And well done on never making a similar mistake. It's a devils advocate point as I don't know but even if nothing has come out publicly on a royalties dispute doesn't mean it never happened but it's a minor point when considering separating art from the artist etc.

I could listen to Metallica until the cows come home but I don't like the vocalist. Sure they wrote some decent riffs at a time where it was pretty easy to find good riffs or hamfisted attempts at mashing classical guitar runs with heavy distortion, virtuosos that absolutely does not make them. For what it's worth, I'd consider the many successful rock / metal musicians to be average musicians, they do what they do well in terms of pleasing the masses but it's not complex. I'm not saying it has to be complex to be enjoyable. The album with them accompanied by an orchestra made it slightly more bearable but it's still basic (in my opinion).

I do get why you're being prickly about a band you admire being described as "cringy, average and basic" but this is my view but they're absolutely objective terms based on one's musical journey / exposure. Also it may not directly have been their fault but they stand out as one of the leading offenders or drivers of the loudness war, where everything started to sound like trash in the eternal dingdong measuring contest of who can make their records seem the loudest whilst sacrificing any hope of dynamics on the way.

As for what I'm currently into, I have this great playlist called "Anything that's not Metallica" ;) - Artists like Crumb, Battles, Vulfpeck and Fourtet are hitting the spot at the minute but it always depends on what kind of mood I'm in. Heavy wise if that's your thing I'd recommend Elephant Tree, wonderful stoner rock.

In fairness, this won't be the same AC/DC for very obvious reasons...seen them many times over the decades but missed them with Bon, which would've been the absolute time. Still, Bean did some great shows, but no Malcolm is a massive blow.
Would've loved to see them with Bon, but sadly I'm 20 years too young for that, LOL. Brian's voice is not what it was, but at least it's not Axl Rose...

You'd be wagering incorrectly. I'm not sure what you mean by "buying that one off the Internet"but in whatever context that could possibly mean I believe you are way off the mark and so now as well as seemingly deriding my opinion you're also being condescending but that's my choice to perceive it that way I guess. Just that phrase in itself appears to be attempting to correct an opinion by assuming it's not an authentic one. I've acknowledged I must have misremembered on the royalties front and appreciate the correction. And well done on never making a similar mistake. It's a devils advocate point as I don't know but even if nothing has come out publicly on a royalties dispute doesn't mean it never happened but it's a minor point when considering separating art from the artist etc.

I could listen to Metallica until the cows come home but I don't like the vocalist. Sure they wrote some decent riffs at a time where it was pretty easy to find good riffs or hamfisted attempts at mashing classical guitar runs with heavy distortion, virtuosos that absolutely does not make them. For what it's worth, I'd consider the many successful rock / metal musicians to be average musicians, they do what they do well in terms of pleasing the masses but it's not complex. I'm not saying it has to be complex to be enjoyable. The album with them accompanied by an orchestra made it slightly more bearable but it's still basic (in my opinion).

I do get why you're being prickly about a band you admire being described as "cringy, average and basic" but this is my view but they're absolutely objective terms based on one's musical journey / exposure. Also it may not directly have been their fault but they stand out as one of the leading offenders or drivers of the loudness war, where everything started to sound like trash in the eternal dingdong measuring contest of who can make their records seem the loudest whilst sacrificing any hope of dynamics on the way.

As for what I'm currently into, I have this great playlist called "Anything that's not Metallica" ;) - Artists like Crumb, Battles, Vulfpeck and Fourtet are hitting the spot at the minute but it always depends on what kind of mood I'm in. Heavy wise if that's your thing I'd recommend Elephant Tree, wonderful stoner rock.

1) Given that you were wrong on royalty fight, I (wrongly) assumed your opinions on them were gathered from the internet.

2) Honestly, you have not listened to enough of their music. I understand your POV if all you've heard is their 'fast' stuff, but there's much more to them, especially in terms of arrangement. As for 'the album with orchestra', there have been two. One with Michael Kamen conducting ( RIP ) and one with Michael Tilson Thomas and Edwin Outacoer. You'll have to trust my knowledge here if you don't want to listen, but neither set was 'basic'...if you have listened and can educate me, please, be my guest.

3) Your comment on 'the loudness war' certainly feels like it stems from a 5 minute controversy over their Death Magnetic album (Rick Rubin produced).

4) Trust me, I am not prickly. You won't fully understand my POV and that is fine.

5) Thanks for the tip. I will check them out. I listen to lots of different music.

6) I'm intrigued to know more about your musical journey. Not in Mogwai by any chance are you?;)

Last edited:
1) Given that you were wrong on royalty fight, I (wrongly) assumed your opinions on them were gathered from the internet.

2) Honestly, you have not listened to enough of their music. I understand your POV if all you've heard is their 'fast' stuff, but there's much more to them, especially in terms of arrangement. As for 'the album with orchestra', there have been two. One with Michael Kamen conducting ( RIP ) and one with Michael Tilson Thomas and Edwin Outacoer. You'll have to trust my knowledge here if you don't want to listen, but neither set was 'basic'...if you have listened and can educate me, please, be my guest.

3) Your comment on 'the loudness war' certainly feels like it stems from a 5 minute controversy over their Death Magnetic album (Rick Rubin produced).

4) Trust me, I am not prickly. You won't fully understand my POV and that is fine.

5) Thanks for the tip. I will check them out. I listen to lots of different music.

6) I'm intrigued to know more about your musical journey. Not in Mogwai by any chance are you?;)

There's an interesting question of how much you should listen to something if it isn't something you're enjoying, it's almost like trying a new series and many episodes you can stick out whilst seeing if it pays off. To further the analogy, it's like the series has a lead actor who's style of acting I find intolerable so there's less of a threshold of how much I can put up with, so I can't really promise you I'll give it another go! The song plastered everywhere from Stranger Things was enough! Again, decent riffs, bad everything else..

Honestly on point 2, I don't feel like having to self effacingly say maybe I'm not being clear, I said the stuff with the orchestral backing was much more tolerable and as such, less basic ie more stimulating to listen to.

As for 4, I understand that you really like the band and I don't. It still feels like a lot of odd out of character conversational tropes for you to be using throughout this discussion, it's like me having the audacity criticize Poch as well as a band you like has pushed you over the edge.

And I am absolutely I'm to Mogwai! I am concerned by what the winky face is inferring but yep they're big on my list to see live, atmospheric doesn't even begin to cover it, those guys are masterful and I've heard they transfer it well to the live shows.

you better not be talking about "running up that hill"!

I wouldn't dare criticize Kare Bush, she is an OG! It's off topic but I did think that series of stranger things was rather excellent after a slight down turn with the series in the mall.

Had to Google the name of the Metallica song used, it was "Master of Puppets" that Eddie plays.

I wouldn't dare criticize Kare Bush, she is an OG! It's off topic but I did think that series of stranger things was rather excellent after a slight down turn with the series in the mall.

Had to Google the name of the Metallica song used, it was "Master of Puppets" that Eddie plays.

kate is a goddess. really enjoyed stranger things so far, not sure how the next series will go. as the kids age it lose something i feel.

There's an interesting question of how much you should listen to something if it isn't something you're enjoying, it's almost like trying a new series and many episodes you can stick out whilst seeing if it pays off. To further the analogy, it's like the series has a lead actor who's style of acting I find intolerable so there's less of a threshold of how much I can put up with, so I can't really promise you I'll give it another go! The song plastered everywhere from Stranger Things was enough! Again, decent riffs, bad everything else..

Honestly on point 2, I don't feel like having to self effacingly say maybe I'm not being clear, I said the stuff with the orchestral backing was much more tolerable and as such, less basic ie more stimulating to listen to.

As for 4, I understand that you really like the band and I don't. It still feels like a lot of odd out of character conversational tropes for you to be using throughout this discussion, it's like me having the audacity criticize Poch as well as a band you like has pushed you over the edge.

And I am absolutely I'm to Mogwai! I am concerned by what the winky face is inferring but yep they're big on my list to see live, atmospheric doesn't even begin to cover it, those guys are masterful and I've heard they transfer it well to the live shows.

No mate, criticism is worthy and noble. Statements of 'fact' without basis are a whole other thing; seriously, that's my only sticking point with anything you're saying re: Metallica.

Are you familiar with Boards of Canada? If not, you will love them. A brilliant band. And if you have not heard The KLF's Chill Out, it is a brilliant ambient journey - masterpiece IMO.

BTW, FWIW I don't believe in listening to anything you don't like beyond that moment of not liking it.

No mate, criticism is worthy and noble. Statements of 'fact' without basis are a whole other thing; seriously, that's my only sticking point with anything you're saying re: Metallica.

Are you familiar with Boards of Canada? If not, you will love them. A brilliant band. And if you have not heard The KLF's Chill Out, it is a brilliant ambient journey - masterpiece IMO.

Okay fair enough, I've been by my standards very calm and passive on here in the last week or so. But something has felt odd in this discussion like you took my opinion as an attack as I was happy to be corrected but no problem, best to move on.

My last acid trip was to a Boards of Canada record! Tremendous stuff. Personal favourite is "Everything you do is a balloon" with the accompanying haunting PSA style video:

And interestingly I was on an ambient journey today, I'll check out KLF as I haven't heard them, cheers for the suggestion!

BTW, FWIW I don't believe in listening to anything you don't like beyond that moment of not liking it.

But you're simultaneously saying I haven't listened to enough Metallica to justify my opinion (or somewhere between saying it / implying it)...I'm so confused lol At least there's a Spurs game on to distract us temporarily haha

But you're simultaneously saying I haven't listened to enough Metallica to justify my opinion (or somewhere between saying it / implying it)...I'm so confused lol At least there's a Spurs game on to distract us temporarily haha

Haha, I'm just saying that without knowing their work in a deeper sense, you cannot denigrate their musicianship. You can say you think they're brick in your view of course, it's just when you put down specifics that aren't true, that's all mate.

Music is subjective, therefore pretty much anyone else's opinion is worthless.

I'm really into people liking what they like.

That said, I vividly remember my list first play though of Master of Puppets, blew my fudging mind, still play it all of the time, must have bought it 10 times over the years after knackering tapes/cd's/vinyl.

They invented a whole genre.

Music is subjective, therefore pretty much anyone else's opinion is worthless.

I'm really into people liking what they like.

That said, I vividly remember my list first play though of Master of Puppets, blew my fudging mind, still play it all of the time, must have bought it 10 times over the years after knackering tapes/cd's/vinyl.

They invented a whole genre.

Metal really isn't my thing, but totally agree with the sentiment.
Music is such a personal thing, love what you want and enjoy it.

Back