• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Shooting in Denver

The document itself is highly relevant, and in my opinion, the greatest piece of governance doctrine the world has ever seen. That said, the 2nd amendment is certainly outdated. Just to qualify the remark :).

but hasn't it become a greatly misunderstood and misused political tool since?

The document itself is highly relevant, and in my opinion, the greatest piece of governance doctrine the world has ever seen. That said, the 2nd amendment is certainly outdated. Just to qualify the remark :).

I forget where, but I read an article that used the analogy of an operating system to describe how constitutions work. And our constitution is like using Windows 3.1, hence why fewer countries ratifying new constitutions use ours as a model and look to more... progressive models.
So in other words, the influence of our constitution appeared to be waning.
Totally agree with you about the 2nd amendment. That was a time when the populace COULD rebel against their governments successfully, on top of the fact that they could maybe fire a round every minute or so. I'm not gonna be like the dude in Tienanmen Square standing up to a tank; that guy probably had to walk over there carrying his balls in a wheelbarrow.

Most of what's in the bible is also outdated, but most Americans still live their lives by it.

Sorry, that's what I meant. You Yanks and your fancy documents and amendments.

Federal officials identified the shooter as James Holmes, born in 1987.

ABC News reported that Mr. Holmes wore a bullet proof vest and a “riot-type mask” as he entered the theater and opened fire early Friday morning shortly after the movie screening had begun.

A San Diego woman who identified herself as James Holmes’ mother told ABC News she had awoken unaware of the shooting and had not yet been contacted by authorities. She immediately expressed concern that her son may have been involved.

“You have the right person,” she said, apparently speaking on gut instinct. “I need to call the police… I need to fly out to Colorado.”

but hasn't it become a greatly misunderstood and misused political tool since?

No. The minutiae of it has been expounded upon, solely because it grants power for the judiciary, legislative branch and executive branch (president) to act under distinct avenues of authority. For example, the Constitution gives Congress the ability under the Commerce Clause to pass legislation in furtherance of interstate commerce. No one disputes what the clause explicitly states, but people do dispute the breadth of it. (Example: We saw that with the recent healthcare debate, where Congress passed the bill under the auspices of interstate commerce, and it's adversaries claimed that Congress lacked the authority to require a citizen to purchase something under its power to legislate derived from the commerce clause).

As a base, there is no other document in the history of governance that I would rather have. That said, it's a very old document, so legislature derived from it can be highly controversial or criticized.

Last edited:
"Mayor Bloomberg: You know, soothing words are nice, but maybe it’s time that the two people who want to be President of the United States stand up and tell us what they are going to do about it, because this is obviously a problem across the country. And everybody always says, ‘Isn’t it tragic,’ and you know, we look for was the guy, as you said, maybe trying to recreate Batman. I mean, there are so many murders with guns every day, it’s just got to stop. And instead of the two people – President Obama and Governor Romney – talking in broad things about they want to make the world a better place, okay, tell us how. And this is a real problem. No matter where you stand on the Second Amendment, no matter where you stand on guns, we have a right to hear from both of them concretely, not just in generalities – specifically what are they going to do about guns? I can tell you what we do here in New York. The State Legislature passed the toughest gun laws – some states may say no. That’s okay, what do you want to do? And maybe every Governor should stand up. But in the end, it is really the leadership at a national level, which is whoever is going to be President of the United States starting next January 1st – what are they going to do about guns?"

http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/141167/bloomberg-aurora-shooting-should-be-wake-up-call/

Authorities are investigating the shooter's apartment. They did mention the possibility that it might contain explosive devices and they're trying to defuse whatever devices are in there. Did not give many details...

It's been on the news all day here. The feds went in through the window, but there appears to be no bombs as the killer stated there was.

It's been on the news all day here. The feds went in through the window, but there appears to be no bombs as the killer stated there was.

The police chief and some FBI agent quickly briefed the press and they seemed to strongly indicate that there actually were devices in there. There's a large buildup of bomb squads outside the apartment and multiple buildings around have been evacuated. I'm sure most of this is precautionary, but they did mention it could "take hours or days" to clear out the apartment.

"Mayor Bloomberg: You know, soothing words are nice, but maybe it’s time that the two people who want to be President of the United States stand up and tell us what they are going to do about it, because this is obviously a problem across the country. And everybody always says, ‘Isn’t it tragic,’ and you know, we look for was the guy, as you said, maybe trying to recreate Batman. I mean, there are so many murders with guns every day, it’s just got to stop. And instead of the two people – President Obama and Governor Romney – talking in broad things about they want to make the world a better place, okay, tell us how. And this is a real problem. No matter where you stand on the Second Amendment, no matter where you stand on guns, we have a right to hear from both of them concretely, not just in generalities – specifically what are they going to do about guns? I can tell you what we do here in New York. The State Legislature passed the toughest gun laws – some states may say no. That’s okay, what do you want to do? And maybe every Governor should stand up. But in the end, it is really the leadership at a national level, which is whoever is going to be President of the United States starting next January 1st – what are they going to do about guns?"

http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/141167/bloomberg-aurora-shooting-should-be-wake-up-call/

i still think this is a massive Us problem - and, to a lesser extent, a European problem.
yes, we need to be aware of safety and worldwide human right - but i think we need to spend more energy looking inwards before casting aspertions elsewhere

US politicians are under immense pressure from lobbyists and election campaign sponsors. It's amazing they get anything done.

Photo of the shooter:
original.jpg

Apparently his only ever run in with the police was a speeding ticket.

I don't really understand why they feel the need to release the identity of suspects once arrested, regardless of how clear cut the case is.

I don't really understand why they feel the need to release the identity of suspects once arrested, regardless of how clear cut the case is.

The weirdest part about all of this is that he willfully allowed himself to be taken by the police. Psychopaths who do this sort of thing usually commit suicide or get gunned down by the police. The guy in Norway surrendered too. Really weird.

The gunman in Norway planned on getting caught. He wanted the trial so he could get more attention.

Back